GDT: Avalanche at Stars (Game 5): Do We Really Have To?

Who plays their final game for the Avalanche tonight?

• Andrew Cogliano

Votes: 57 62.6%
  • Ross Colton

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Jonathan Drouin

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • Brandon Duhaime

Votes: 44 48.4%
  • Joel Kiviranta

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Nikolai Kovalenko

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Artturi Lehkonen

• Casey Mittelstadt

• player not found

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Zach Parise

Votes: 63 69.2%
  • Mikko Rantanen

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Yakov Trenin

Votes: 41 45.1%
  • Miles Wood

• Samuel Girard

• Jack Johnson

Votes: 55 60.4%
  • Caleb Jones

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Josh Manson

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Sean Walker

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Alexandar Georgiev

Votes: 20 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
The thing when other fanbases are calling us names is that it isn't like we have 8 PPs and they have like 2. It's somehow always the same or close. Just last night in the GDT there are numbers of Stars fans joined by Oilers fans whining about reffing or saying they handed us that win. Then you watch both teams PP opportunities and it's like 3 for us and 4 for Dallas. Don't forget how they didn't call that double minor and yet I didn't see alot of Avs fans whining about that through the game.
That double minor miss was inexcusable. That is an automatic 4 every single time. Fortunately it did not bite us.

Other than that, I feel like calls were missed on both sides, we definitely got away with some shit, and so did Dallas. Acting like the refs are against your team is such a weak mindset, you lost get the f*** over it. The calls in general have been more favorable to the home team in this series and last night was no exception. So let's see what goes down tomorrow in Denver.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Refs were insanely bad last night in favor of Dallas.

Tanev penalty was a joke a complete cheap shot leaves 96 bleeding and it's 2 mins, f*** right off. Like you said all year pretty much anything that leads to blood has been 4. While blood doesn't mean 4, it should be pretty automatic based on how they've called it all year. If the league had any consistency, Tanev should get a max fine, you can't cross check a guy in the face accidental or not.

The Dadonov dive was absurd, maybe Oscar worthy. I hope the refs were embarrassed after seeing the replay.

29 gets his stick held for a good 5 seconds by Suter and the refs weren't going to call it. 29 had to yell at them and say wtf. That's unacceptable on that obvious of a stick grab. Should be automatic hand up, especially when it happens 5 ft from your face.

Simply put the refs had a tough night and need to be significantly better.
Watching the playoffs, there's an absolute epidemic of players holding opponents' stick in every game. Scheifele did it every chance he got. If a player feels an opponents' stick on their ribs, they drop their elbow down and trap the stick, then if they are a real piece of shit, they fall down or twist their body to draw a hooking call. Then there's the guys who use their free hand to literally just hold on to the opponent's stick with impunity, like Suter until MacK made a fuss. I know other teams complain about MacKinnon trying to draw calls, but the dude is fouled on nearly every single shift and the refs just ignore it because he fights through it.

The league really needs to something about the stick holding though. Even when they call it, it tends to be an even up call where both guys go. If they want to end that garbage they'll need to call only the hold even when they guy is holding the stick in their armit. If a player lets go of their stick and it stays held in the other guys' armpit (we see this with Mikko's stick a lot), it should be an automatic call like when someone's stick breaks on a slash. If you have a tight enough hold of a stick that it stays in place when nobody has their hands on it, then you are by definition "holding the stick".

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The amount of whining about the refs is always very high here.
Yeah, this is true....and unfortunately I've been part of that from time to time.

Will say that last night, I thought they just flat out messed up not assessing a double minor for Tanev's high stick.

That being said, it felt like they largely just let both teams play, which is sort of what you want if they're not going to call a lot of penalties. Don't let it go for one side and be ticky-tacky for another. I think they did a good enough job last night outside of a few small instances, but overall I had no real complaints since they let some stuff slide (MacK picked a player before Makar's 1st goal, I believe, for instance)

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
The amount of whining about the refs is always very high here.

Pointing out objectively poor performances is whining now. Okay.

That double minor miss was inexcusable. That is an automatic 4 every single time. Fortunately it did not bite us.

Other than that, I feel like calls were missed on both sides, we definitely got away with some shit, and so did Dallas. Acting like the refs are against your team is such a weak mindset, you lost get the f*** over it. The calls in general have been more favorable to the home team in this series and last night was no exception. So let's see what goes down tomorrow in Denver.

I for one don't think they were overall biased against the Avs. I just think at certain points in the game, they decided a la Tim Peel that one team or another deserved or didn't deserve a penalty, and that happened to go against us twice.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
lol

1715870206535.png

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
That being said, it felt like they largely just let both teams play, which is sort of what you want if they're not going to call a lot of penalties. Don't let it go for one side and be ticky-tacky for another. I think they did a good enough job last night outside of a few small instances, but overall I had no real complaints since they let some stuff slide (MacK picked a player before Makar's 1st goal, I believe, for instance)
It's bullshit, but the standard for interference appears to be it's not a penalty unless the player falls down, so based on how they (insanely poorly) enforce that rule, MacK's pick isn't a penalty. To be clear, it should be, but so should all the other dozens of examples of interference in every playoff game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Pointing out objectively poor performances is whining now. Okay.

I for one don't think they were overall biased against the Avs. I just think at certain points in the game, they decided a la Tim Peel that one team or another deserved or didn't deserve a penalty, and that happened to go against us twice.
We see it all the time here, not just today or last night. But all the time. This fanbase is no different than any other, refs are always against them and making terrible calls.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
We see it all the time here, not just today or last night. But all the time. This fanbase is no different than any other, refs are always against them and making terrible calls.
The "always against us" stuff, fine, that may be whining. But the refs are indeed always making terrible calls, and it's not whining to point that out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The "always against us" stuff, fine, that may be whining. But the refs are indeed always making terrible calls, and it's not whining to point that out.
It is when it is very lopsided. The MacK pick was very clearly interference. The cross check on Seguin was clearly a penalty. Yet, people only complain about what doesn’t help the Avs. Missed calls happen and the standards change in the playoffs. People may not like it, but it is the reality. In the end, the Avs are typically on the side of having more calls go their way. The second it is close to even people are calling foul.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Both sets of fans certainly have the right to be frustrated about some of the refs decisions or non-decisions last night. What this series has shown me, without doubt, is that this Dallas team goes down easier than most teams. That lehky cross check was hilarious, he barely touched the dude and he exploded. I know we have a reputation as 'Divealanche' with other team fans, but this Stars team is something else.
Pray we don’t get a Stars vs Rangers SCF. It’ll just be a whole series of no one being able to stay on their skates. It would be like watching the Lakers play the Lakers with all the flopping and theatrics

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
It is when it is very lopsided. The MacK pick was very clearly interference. The cross check on Seguin was clearly a penalty. Yet, people only complain about what doesn’t help the Avs. Missed calls happen and the standards change in the playoffs. People may not like it, but it is the reality. In the end, the Avs are typically on the side of having more calls go their way. The second it is close to even people are calling foul.
Who cares if people whine about the refs so long as we get all the calls and our opponents don't?

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
You honestly sound like someone who says we shouldn't complain about lying politicians because they all do it. Just because it happens all the time doesn't mean it's okay.

Yes, there were missed calls for both teams - it's why everyone has a right to complain about the refs. Yes, it's the reality, and the reality is garbage. I understand not wanting to complain about it - that's fine. Just don't talk about it. Let those of us who care discuss it. Calling it "whining" just comes across as you wanting to belittle legitimate discussion. Imagine if someone came into a discussion about Nishushkin and told everyone to stop whining about him letting the team down.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You honestly sound like someone who says we shouldn't complain about lying politicians because they all do it. Just because it happens all the time doesn't mean it's okay.

Yes, there were missed calls for both teams - it's why everyone has a right to complain about the refs. Yes, it's the reality, and the reality is garbage. I understand not wanting to complain about it - that's fine. Just don't talk about it. Let those of us who care discuss it. Calling it "whining" just comes across as you wanting to belittle legitimate discussion. Imagine if someone came into a discussion about Nishushkin and told everyone to stop whining about him letting the team down.
No one is taking the right to complain about it away. It is simply a factual statement that people whine here a lot about the refs.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
No one is taking the right to complain about it away. It is simply a factual statement that people whine here a lot about the refs.
Whether someone is "whining" is never factual. It's a completely subjective term, and one that implies a ton of judgement against the people doing the "whining". I'm sure a lot of people here talk negatively about the refs and point out bad calls. They may even do so in a biased way where they only mention bad calls that go against the Avs, but none of that makes those call any less bad or the reffing any more acceptable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad