Around the NHL: The 2024 NHL Playoff Thread

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This is probably their last time in the playoffs for a while. Ovi is toast and the worst thing for that franchise to do is to keep trying to make a run just so Ovi can try and fail at getting a record he doesn't deserve.
Why doesn’t he deserve it?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Because he's not a fifth of the player or goal scorer Gretzky was.
Seems like the amount of goals he scored says he's pretty close to Gretzky in terms of goal scoring. Based on his numbers and where he has scored his goals, I would think he deserves to be where he is.

I would say someone that is approaching Gretzky's numbers at a time where goaltending was levels above of what Gretzky was shooting against, tells me he more than deserves it.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Seems like the amount of goals he scored says he's pretty close to Gretzky in terms of goal scoring. Based on his numbers and where he has scored his goals, I would think he deserves to be where he is.

I would say someone that is approaching Gretzky's numbers at a time where goaltending was levels above of what Gretzky was shooting against, tells me he more than deserves it.

I've watched both and disagree. But that's OK.

Gretzky didn't have the same stick or equipment technology as the players of today. Gretzky still holds the goal record and even if he never even scored a goal in the NHL he'd still hold the all-time point record. He holds the record for most goals in a season and the fastest to 50. Ovi is mostly a one-trick pony who brings his shot and some physicality and that's about it. And he's pretty much done. But the Caps will just keep letting him hang around and not make any changes just for his chance to get one record.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Gretzky didn't have the same stick or equipment technology as the players of today. Gretzky still holds the goal record and even if he never even scored a goal in the NHL he'd still hold the all-time point record. He holds the record for most goals in a season and the fastest to 50. Ovi is mostly a one-trick pony who brings his shot and some physicality and that's about it. And he's pretty much done. But the Caps will just keep letting him hang around and not make any changes just for his change to get one record.

I dunno. Sounds personal.

I think Ovi is awesome and hope he gets it. As far as being pretty much done he still has the ability to score 30 goals in this league... the fact the rest of the team is a dumpster fire around him shouldn't be overlooked.

Reactions: sabremike

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Gretzky didn't have the same stick or equipment technology as the players of today. Gretzky still holds the goal record and even if he never even scored a goal in the NHL he'd still hold the all-time point record. He holds the record for most goals in a season and the fastest to 50. Ovi is mostly a one-trick pony who brings his shot and some physicality and that's about it. And he's pretty much done. But the Caps will just keep letting him hang around and not make any changes just for his change to get one record.
The advancements in technology and sticks, more than is made up for with more refined and structured systems, and better skating two-way players of today. One shouldn't hold what each player had to contend with from holding back in tipping their cap/giving their flowers being the best goal scorer of their era. Saying one doesn't deserve their numbers just looks like someone who wants to be petty.

Records are made to be broken. We should be pushing every generation to be better than the last.

Even if Gretzky had every single one of his records broken, he would still be looked at glowingly in terms of one-ice production, and deservedly so. We fans don't need to tear down others to keep others we hold dearly on a pedestal.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Because he's not a fifth of the player or goal scorer Gretzky was.
No one has ever argued he’s the level player Gretzky was.

As for his goal scoring ability. He’s one of the best goal scorers this league has seen. He’s also played against far superior goaltending than Gretzky’s Era.

Last edited:
Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The wave-off was obvious but I think it's Levy going on about the supposed goal made me chuckle. Can they ever get a good broadcast on national TV?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad