Around the NHL 2023 - Playoffs 2024

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ottawa gets tarasenko and are now against the cap without a full roster. Roster looks decent but still some changes ahead. Their season will hinge on if Korpisalo can repeat last season or if he turns back into the pumpkin that the rest of his career has been
They must know something about one of their other players. Teams won't just overspend the Cap like that without a plan. Maybe Norris' recovery hasn't gone as hoped, or that gruesome looking injury to Forsberg (torn MCL in BOTH knees!) is something they don't see him recovering from? Or maybe something looming with Team Canada stuff and Batherson.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Ottawa gets tarasenko and are now against the cap without a full roster. Roster looks decent but still some changes ahead. Their season will hinge on if Korpisalo can repeat last season or if he turns back into the pumpkin that the rest of his career has been
And that's why I think good teams not spending assets on a good goalie is silly. That is a young team that should be making the playoffs and very well may have the whole thing derailed because they won't spend assets on a goalie.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
And that's why I think good teams not spending assets on a good goalie is silly. That is a young team that should be making the playoffs and very well may have the whole thing derailed because they won't spend assets on a goalie.
Youd think teams wouldve learned by watching edmonton throw money and Campbell. Yet Ottawa taking a major risk with Korpisalo who has 1 good season over the past several and LA is going with the husk of Talbots career and Copley/Rittich.

They must know something about one of their other players. Teams won't just overspend the Cap like that without a plan. Maybe Norris' recovery hasn't gone as hoped, or that gruesome looking injury to Forsberg (torn MCL in BOTH knees!) is something they don't see him recovering from? Or maybe something looming with Team Canada stuff and Batherson.
Forsberg on LTIR may be enough to get them to a 21 man roster IF they can talk Pinto into a cheap contract. Has there been any word on the Team Canada stuff? Feels like it was weeks ago we were told teams were expecting suspensions.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
If they shift their injured guys to LTIR, they'll have an extra $10.7M in cap. That's plenty to fill the holes with some bargain contracts. :dunno:

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
This is probably not going to end well.

$8M, sheesh. Terry is pretty good and all and I understand it's an arbitration ask i.e. not fully realistic, but damn. I don't think the guy is much more than a 2nd liner on a decent team with inflated counting stats from getting big minutes on a bottom feeder.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
My guess is that whatever the results of that arbitration hearing, it’ll walk him into UFA status. The Preds could possibly do something regarding him at that point if they so desired depending on the relationship between him and the Sucks.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I wouldn't be shocked if they still end up with a long term deal before the hearing starts. Given the number of wingers coming up through the system though even if he does hit free agency I don't have much interest in him as far as the Preds go.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wouldn't be shocked if they still end up with a long term deal before the hearing starts. Given the number of wingers coming up through the system though even if he does hit free agency I don't have much interest in him as far as the Preds go.
I'm not interested in him for the Preds... like DeBrincat or Nylander, I don't think luring players in when they are already pretty much at their peak but then paying them big money that takes them deep into their 30s is the right model. Hopefully our current prospect group will show us that if we just keep our draft picks and develop well, this level of player is always coming up from within anyway.

But I do think once that player does come up from within successfully, if he's the right fit for what you're doing, keep him at a fair price. And Terry is definitely worth $8M on a long-term deal anyway. When you are buying UFA years under a $100M Salary Cap. Maybe not quite that much on a 1-2yr arbitration award, but regardless, his number is a lot closer than Anaheim's number. As arbitrator I give Terry... 2x$7M. Next case!

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Maybe I haven't seen enough of Terry but to me he seems like an Arvidsson type of player. Very good offensive production but not quite at the star level. Giving him an $8M x 8 years type of deal seems like a lot, but maybe I'm just not calibrated to what the new norm will be once the cap starts increasing substantially again.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe I haven't seen enough of Terry but to me he seems like an Arvidsson type of player. Very good offensive production but not quite at the star level. Giving him an $8M x 8 years type of deal seems like a lot, but maybe I'm just not calibrated to what the new norm will be once the cap starts increasing substantially again.
I agree, and I do think that's the calibration that WILL take place for Arvidsson-like players within a couple years, alas. (The pre-broken Arvidsson anyway... e.g. DeBrincat, sure, Terry). Guys who are signing long-term deals or extensions this year really should be pushing pause to factor that in.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Being it's arbitration I kind of figure it will be a bit lower than it honestly should be so I'm guessing he gets somewhere around 6.5. Based on his stats I don't know how as an arbiter you could go much lower than that.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Being it's arbitration I kind of figure it will be a bit lower than it honestly should be so I'm guessing he gets somewhere around 6.5. Based on his stats I don't know how as an arbiter you could go much lower than that.
Mind you, the arbitrator is just going to look at the cases presented to him. So if the team presents a stronger case than Terry's agent, it may look just based on how the trial goes as if Terry deserves lower. The arbitrator in theory doesn't even know anything about hockey, or about any comparables outside of the ones introduced in the case, and presumably has never seen the player before in his life. Which is kind of why these hearings are usually so harsh... the team goes to great lengths to trash the player and present his performance in the worst possible light. If they succeed, the arbitrator could well end up at a lower number. It wouldn't shock me. But hopefully for Terry it takes him to UFA, then he can have his revenge with a sayonara in a couple years.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That's a solid deal, and if his production holds up that'll even be considered a discount in probably 2 years.
Yeah, I had him pegged as being worth $7M just in arbitration. To take a 7-year deal at those numbers, I'm surprised he didn't at least get some up-front signing bonus money or a front-load that he could bank for investments, or better NTC/NMC concessions. He probably would have been better off just letting the arbitration case play out. Because even if the arbitrator had given him $6M, the Ducks would have elected a 1-year term to keep him RFA, and he'd have been in a better spot under a higher Cap to get a better deal next summer. Oh well, first world problems for a guy who just got $49M! :)

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Yeah, I had him pegged as being worth $7M just in arbitration. To take a 7-year deal at those numbers, I'm surprised he didn't at least get some up-front signing bonus money or a front-load that he could bank for investments, or better NTC/NMC concessions. He probably would have been better off just letting the arbitration case play out. Because even if the arbitrator had given him $6M, the Ducks would have elected a 1-year term to keep him RFA, and he'd have been in a better spot under a higher Cap to get a better deal next summer. Oh well, first world problems for a guy who just got $49M! :)
No doubt, he shouldn't be missing many meals that's for sure.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Maybe or he could have fell on his face and left himself in jeopardy of never seeing that money. For every guy that gambles and wins there is a Codey Franson or Klingberg who are stabbing themselves every day for not signing the long term deals they were offered.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
He's American. Heck, he played on Team USA in the World Championships just last year.

What I want to know is if he was driving a golf cart when he did all that.
Born in Milwaukee. His dad played Center for 77 games for the Admirals 1992-94. The team was loaded with hockey talent during those years with Gino Cavallini, Steve Tuttle, Randy Velischek, Jeff Larmer and Bob Mason. They all had over 100 NHL games played, Randy had over 500 games, most of them with the Devils.

Edit: I forgot to include Stanley Cup winner in 1989, Ken Sabourin, Gary's nephew. He was my daughter's favorite player. We have about 10 different pictures of the two of them together.

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Karlsson saga is finally over and with 1.5 million in retention and a 3rd, they managed to get....
A 2024 1st (top 10 protected)
Granlund....
Hoffman....
Rutta

So basically a 1st, maybe some deadline midround picks if they get lucky, and capspace after granlund and ruttas contracts expire.

Montreal for their part get petry, desmith, and a 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad