Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Utah Rock N Rollers.

that would be totally radical!

Screen Shot 2024-05-15 at 11.27.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-05-15 at 11.27.23 PM.png

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Reactions: Forge

My3Sons

Sponsor
Watching that Rags-Canes series makes me even madder that we got manhandled by the Canes last year. They were missing a few good players and still had the same goalies. And yet we couldn't capitalize.
It's part of the learning process. It was also a function of not having a Sheterkin level goalie. He saved their bacon.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I recall he wanted to play with Philly? I doubt he turns down NHL money but he probably won't want to sign a full ELC so depending upon his age maybe he stays a bit longer in Russia?

Unless he waits until he's 29, Michkov would have to sign an ELC. He could follow the Kaprizov path, sign at age 22/23 when he's forced to sign a 2 year ELC. He could potentially burn Year 1 immediately and then be RFA after Year 2.

Kaprizov:
2019-20: ELC1 -- burned (age 22)
2020-21: ELC2 -- 51 points in 55 NHL games, RFA after season (age 23)
2022-23: 5 year x 9 mil AAV (age 24)

Riskier path would be to sign at age 24+. That was what happened with Nikita Gusev and probably Arseny Gritsyuk next spring.

Gusev:
2017-18: ELC1 -- burned (age 26), RFA after season. Vegas didn't have cap space to fit him under cap. Traded to Devils after season.
2018-19: 2 year x 4.5 mil AAV (age 27) - no NHL experience prior to signing

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Unless he waits until he's 29, Michkov would have to sign an ELC. He could follow the Kaprizov path, sign at age 22/23 when he's forced to sign a 2 year ELC. He could potentially burn Year 1 immediately and then be RFA after Year 2.

Kaprizov:
2019-20: ELC1 -- burned (age 22)
2020-21: ELC2 -- 51 points in 55 NHL games, RFA after season (age 23)
2022-23: 5 year x 9 mil AAV (age 24)

Riskier path would be to sign at age 24+. That was what happened with Nikita Gusev and probably Arseny Gritsyuk next spring.

Gusev:
2017-18: ELC1 -- burned (age 26), RFA after season. Vegas didn't have cap space to fit him under cap. Traded to Devils after season.
2018-19: 2 year x 4.5 mil AAV (age 27) - no NHL experience prior to signing
Thanks for sharing that. Somehow my guess is that ELC rules will be massaged in the next collective bargaining agreement. I can see the league wanting all players to sign a two year ELC so they get at least one cheap season whenever a KHL player comes over. My cynical view is that Vegas knew exactly what they had with Gusev and didn't play him and had no interest in him for that playoff just by watching him practice. Hopefully NJ is a playoff team next season and they can see what Gritsyuk offers before having to dole out a big contract. I expect Grits to be pretty good.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Watching that Rags-Canes series makes me even madder that we got manhandled by the Canes last year. They were missing a few good players and still had the same goalies. And yet we couldn't capitalize.
TBF, they did the same to the Rangers. No one can tell me the Rangers were the better team in any of the six games. They weren’t, they were severely outplayed at even strength every gm, they won on the Canes being stupid on special teams and in net, they didn’t do that against us last series. That was the only difference

My3Sons

Sponsor
TBF, they did the same to the Rangers. No one can tell me the Rangers were the better team in any of the six games. They weren’t, they were severely outplayed at even strength every gm, they won on the Canes being stupid on special teams and in net, they didn’t do that against us last series. That was the only difference
The Devils being a finesse team helps against the Rangers since it keeps penalties down. Plus Schmid made a number of big saves that the Canes just didn't get when it mattered. That and last year's NJ team could create offense multiple ways depending upon who was on the ice and of course, just rolling Jack out there forces the defense of the other team to prioritize his line. Carolina just can't put anyone back on their heels just by putting out Aho.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The Devils being a finesse team helps against the Rangers since it keeps penalties down. Plus Schmid made a number of big saves that the Canes just didn't get when it mattered. That and last year's NJ team could create offense multiple ways depending upon who was on the ice and of course, just rolling Jack out there forces the defense of the other team to prioritize his line. Carolina just can't put anyone back on their heels just by putting out Aho.
Oops, I should have type my post better.

I meant the Canes goaltending and special teams didn’t shoot themselves in the foot against the Devils like they just did against Rags. I wasn’t comparing to the NJ NYR series

My3Sons

Sponsor
Oops, I should have type my post better.

I meant the Canes goaltending and special teams didn’t shoot themselves in the foot against the Devils like they just did against Rags. I wasn’t comparing to the NJ NYR series
The Devils were in over their heads after beating the Rangers. I'm sure the guys were just happy to be there after that. To be fair, beating the Rangers once is like winning two additional playoff rounds. I would have liked them to have a better effort against the Canes also but by and large I have no complaints with how last year unfolded. Props to the Canes for not getting it done last year or this year. I'm sure Dundon will not screw it up the way he hasn't screwed it up so far.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Just looked at Carolina's cap situation and they are due for one of the craziest off seasons i've ever seen.

5/6 of their top6 had contracts ending in June. They already got Aho resigned.
1/2 of their top4 have contracts ending in June.

This is all in the year that the salary cap is getting a huge bump and player salaries will, presumably, get a huge bump as well.

Makes sense why there are rumors of trying to trade Necas for negligible salary. They may not be able to keep half of those guys.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Just looked at Carolina's cap situation and they are due for one of the craziest off seasons i've ever seen.

5/6 of their top6 had contracts ending in June. They already got Aho resigned.
1/2 of their top4 have contracts ending in June.

This is all in the year that the salary cap is getting a huge bump and player salaries will, presumably, get a huge bump as well.

Makes sense why there are rumors of trying to trade Necas for negligible salary. They may not be able to keep half of those guys.
4/6 they have Svech locked up too.

But ya still a ton of questions up in the air. If I had to guess I think they try to keep Guentzel and Skjei and bridge Jarvis. Let Teravainen and Pesce go. Trade Necas for the best available package, but I don't think he alone is enough to get them the 2C they need

Pretty funny they have Kuznetsov making 3.9 and Kotkaniemi making 4.8

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Michkov will join flyers next season.

Its awesome.

That's so funny right after briere said he wasn't sure if they'd ever see him.
Good news for him and Philthy. Bad news for our club in San Jose. Nice to know we passed on him in favor of a 55 year old Hollywood star, who has never played pro hockey. Just another miserable move to the list of many. Firing Ray Tufts, traded Hertl to the VGK, picked up that gigantic sieve Vitek Vanecek. I definitely don't trust them to not fumble the lottery win and pass on Celebrini at first overall.

Thanks again GrierBurke

- Shark Swell

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Good news for him and Philthy. Bad news for our club in San Jose. Nice to know we passed on him in favor of a 55 year old Hollywood star, who has never played pro hockey. Just another miserable move to the list of many. Firing Ray Tufts, traded Hertl to the VGK, picked up that gigantic sieve Vitek Vanecek. I definitely don't trust them to not fumble the lottery win and pass on Celebrini at first overall.

Thanks again GrierBurke

- Shark Swell
He still have good chunk of prospects. If he will draft Celebrini, and I believe he will, there will be plenty of different talent players. But outside Shakir and may be Thrun they don't have defense. And coaching/developing is still questionable. Buffalo already had great prospect pool and pool of young players for a long time. Will see how Grier will handle it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He still have good chunk of prospects. If he will draft Celebrini, and I believe he will, there will be plenty of different talent players. But outside Shakir and may be Thrun they don't have defense. And coaching/developing is still questionable. Buffalo already had great prospect pool and pool of young players for a long time. Will see how Grier will handle it.
My post was mostly my best impersonation at the Sharks fan version of Devils Dominion.

But I am mighty bummed they didn't take Michkov. Felt like a no-brainer at the time. And now he's gonna be over here haunting our division with the Flyers.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
My post was mostly my best impersonation at the Sharks fan version of Devils Dominion.

But I am mighty bummed they didn't take Michkov. Felt like a no-brainer at the time. And now he's gonna be over here haunting our division with the Flyers.
I have a calm feeling about Michkov because for now Flyers don't have any real support for a long time they are looking like a team in the Wild Limbo, when Minnesota wasn't good enough to make a damage, wasn't bad enough to draft more talents. Now they finally have some offensive talents with Kaprizov, Ek, Rossi, Boldi, Yurov, may be Heidt and Ohgren, Faber and Wallstedt, but most of them are young and Kaprizov is close to the end of his deal. Their defense doesn't look great from NHL and prospect pool perspective outside Faber. Guerin mixed hard on Stramel pick.

So who knows how many years Flyers will take to build better team. Torts is good coach, they are ovverachiving. And it looks like they will continue to overachive.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Yeah flyers need to actually tank as they don't have any good players long term to pair Michkov with and really could use some high draft picks.

If anything him coming over early is probably not great long term for their team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad