Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Ya F those guys.

That's fair. Must be pretty late there by the 3rd period. My brother was a Nucks fan and went to Carlton U and I remember him complaining about that. I like to finish the evening with a movie, so I'm sometimes shutting off games early, or just put it on the tablet on the side. Playoffs are a little different.
second game start is 9:45 to 10:20. Accounting for commercials, end of game is 3 hours later. Or 1AM.

Someone must be watching, the TV broadcasts have been this way for long time.

Ditto for the NBA, although, they tend to finish at closer to 12:30AM.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
second game start is 9:45 to 10:20. Accounting for commercials, end of game is 3 hours later. Or 1AM.

Someone must be watching, the TV broadcasts have been this way for long time.

Ditto for the NBA, although, they tend to finish at closer to 12:30AM.
Sounds about right.

What can you do about it really other than kind of screwing over those in the west. Evening games 6-730 pm start times are where it's at imo.

If there's one thing I appreciate about the Senators start times, it's that I can record them and skip every intermission and ad, and even stoppages sometimes. Can get a game done in an hour if I want.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and Cosmix

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Ya F those guys.

That's fair. Must be pretty late there by the 3rd period. My brother was a Nucks fan and went to Carlton U and I remember him complaining about that. I like to finish the evening with a movie, so I'm sometimes shutting off games early, or just put it on the tablet on the side. Playoffs are a little different.
I used to live further west, and found myself liking to watch Western Conf teams. But, that’s past tense now.

If the game is televised by ESPN+, then I can watch the next day. Playoff coverage is a little weird on ESPN+. Maybe I should check it again though. I have more time during the evenings though for watching sports.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I used to live further west, and found myself liking to watch Western Conf teams. But, that’s past tense now.

If the game is televised by ESPN+, then I can watch the next day. Playoff coverage is a little weird on ESPN+. Maybe I should check it again though. I have more time during the evenings though for watching sports.
Ya location often dictates such things. It's been hard being a Senators fan sometimes, cuz games are on at 4 and I'm not usually home from work until 5 or 530. As I've gotten older, watching them recorded and on delay is my plan, but it used to bother me. Not the type to watch sports right up to bedtime either, so that's another consideration.

Right, the streaming apps. I still have cable lol. I do also get Sportsnet+ and TSN+, but since I like to channel hop a lot, especially during playoffs when NBA playoffs are running concurrently, they aren't great for that ime. I take it you live in the states then?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Ya location often dictates such things. It's been hard being a Senators fan sometimes, cuz games are on at 4 and I'm not usually home from work until 5 or 530. As I've gotten older, watching them recorded and on delay is my plan, but it used to bother me. Not the type to watch sports right up to bedtime either, so that's another consideration.

Right, the streaming apps. I still have cable lol. I do also get Sportsnet+ and TSN+, but since I like to channel hop a lot, especially during playoffs when NBA playoffs are running concurrently, they aren't great for that ime. I take it you live in the states then?
Yes, I live in the U.S. It's ESPN+ now for me, NHLTV.com before that, and Center Ice before that. Hockey is only popular in certain cities in the U.S., so you do things & go to lengths to watch your team.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Sounds about right.

What can you do about it really other than kind of screwing over those in the west. Evening games 6-730 pm start times are where it's at imo.

If there's one thing I appreciate about the Senators start times, it's that I can record them and skip every intermission and ad, and even stoppages sometimes. Can get a game done in an hour if I want.
I am going to come off as being picky, but a 7:15 puck drop in the east is 4:15 in BC. You slap on the PVR and then start watching at 6. Skip past commercials, you see the game by 7:15. Just in time for the Western games.

Here.. You record the late game and watch it the next day, long after you know what happened.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yes, I live in the U.S. It's ESPN+ now for me, NHLTV.com before that, and Center Ice before that. Hockey is only popular in certain cities in the U.S., so you do things & go to lengths to watch your team.
Gotcha. Ya different sports landscape down there I'm sure. I remember the days before Center Ice was easily attainable and getting Senators games out here was frustrating. At one point I went with Bell satellite because they were the only ones that offered all the CBC feeds, including the Ottawa one with their games. The lengths we go to lol.
I am going to come off as being picky, but a 7:15 puck drop in the east is 4:15 in BC. You slap on the PVR and then start watching at 6. Skip past commercials, you see the game by 7:15. Just in time for the Western games.

Here.. You record the late game and watch it the next day, long after you know what happened.
Ya, I can jive with that. It sure is nice skipping commercials and intermissions. That used to be a common thing for me, but with a 5 year old autistic child in tow atm half time, it can be tough to make this all happen smoothly. By the time I'm sitting down for the EST game, the game out west is starting, so I'm faced with choices.

And in the spirit of this thread and an avid Oilers watcher atm, Cody Ceci is pretty clearly their biggest liability atm. Poor guy is working hard, but playing too many minutes and struggling. That pairing of him and Nurse is a problem too often.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Culture is such a stupid word. Blackhawks were winning Cups and rotten to the core. Ownership, managers, coaches, lawyers and not one of them is concerned with ethics or community. And the media fed us article after article on leadership and culture and winning and it’s all bullshit

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
For the most part they do
In what way? Religious affiliation broken down by political ideology has a heavy slant towards conservatives. That gap is only growing too.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that as a slight one way or the other, simply that if someone is going to raise a stink about their denomination not being included or about it being sacrilegious it's going to be religious folks and they aren't likely to be progressives lol

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
In what way? Religious affiliation broken down by political ideology has a heavy slant towards conservatives. That gap is only growing too.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that as a slight one way or the other, simply that if someone is going to raise a stink about their denomination not being included or about it being sacrilegious it's going to be religious folks and they aren't likely to be progressives lol
"Religious" and "Progresssive" is like fire and water.

Nor does it matter what anyone says. The Catholic church was outed as basically organized crime to provide access to and then shield pedophiles, and they still get funding for their public schools.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

I think the joke he was originally going for was that progressives demand inclusivity, so they'd be upset at a name only being about Mormons.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Culture is such a stupid word. Blackhawks were winning Cups and rotten to the core. Ownership, managers, coaches, lawyers and not one of them is concerned with ethics or community. And the media fed us article after article on leadership and culture and winning and it’s all bullshit
“When I hear the word culture, I reach for my gun”, Hanns Johst.

Reactions: Tuna99

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
I think the joke he was originally going for was that progressives demand inclusivity, so they'd be upset at a name only being about Mormons.
Wallet Inspector said:
I think the joke he was originally going for was that progressives demand inclusivity, so they'd be upset at a name only being about morons.
I think it was less a joke and more an attempt to rile up some culture war nonesense...
The Inspectors quote before editing.

Why Utah Mormons is a real bad idea

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

What you don’t seem to understand, progressives take it upon themselves to make the claim that this group, or that group would be offended if not,included.

Progressive sit at home looking for something to be offended about, or something that another group should be offended about.

It wasn’t native Americans that objected about the Washington Reskins team nickname, in fact the majority either Supported or were not offended by the Redskins name…. Progressive activists were the driving force behind the movement to rename the team… because progressives know better that you, and what you should, be offended by…. It all started with political correctness about twenty five years ago, in universities… and now has spread into the mainstream as the woke movement.

Reactions: LiseL

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
What you don’t seem to understand, progressives take it upon themselves to make the claim that this group, or that group would be offended if not,included.

Progressive sit at home looking for something to be offended about, or something that another group should be offended about.

It wasn’t native Americans that objected about the Washington Reskins team nickname, in fact the majority either Supported or were not offended by the Redskins name…. Progressive activists were the driving force behind the movement to rename the team… because progressives know better that you, and what you should, be offended by…. It all started with political correctness about twenty five years ago, in universities… and now has spread into the mainstream as the woke movement.
Bullshit. There is a line between wackos wanting every single little thing changed or eliminated, and those that want to change some things that make sense.

First Nations groups have voiced for years that some of the names used were offensive. Hard to believe they could be upset, they only lost an estimated 50% of their population from the genocide during colonization.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK

And then there are other's who bring it up out of the blue to start random culture wars on hockey forums :sarcasm:

Reactions: Micklebot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad