Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Solid performance by the Avs. Their stars came to play

Oettinger had one of his regular season trash nights
yeah the floater let in from Makar was a back breaker. Lord knows we've seen first hand just how goals like that can alter the trajectory of a series.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
MacKinnon gets a lot of credit for riding Makar's coattails
Man your just a hater

Mackinnon has the 7th or 8th highest ppg ever in the playoffs.

Him, Kucherov, Draisaitl are all tried to be played down here to prop up Matthews.

They are a differemt tier than matthews. Would gladly trade matthews 1 for 1 for any of those three guys every years hes been a leaf so far in his career

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Man your just a hater

Him, Kucherov, Draisaitl are all tried to be played down here to prop up Matthews.

They are a differemt tier than matthews. Would gladly trade matthews 1 for 1 for any of those three guys every years hes been a leaf so far in his career

MacKinnon wasn't able to get out of the first round before he got Makar. Makar outscored MacK as a defenceman in their Cup year. MacKinnon was third on their team in playoff scoring the last 2 years (including the Cup) but gets the credit because he complained about sucking the season prior.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
MacKinnon wasn't able to get out of the first round before he got Makar. Makar outscored MacK as a defenceman in their Cup year. MacKinnon was third on their team in playoff scoring the last 2 years (including the Cup) but gets the credit because he complained about sucking the season prior.
True but Mack usually scored more than once or twice in a playoffs series. Even before Rantanen and Makar play for the Avs.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
True but Mack usually scored more than once or twice in a playoffs series. Even before Rantanen and Makar play for the Avs.

Colorado plays differently though. They play run and gun hockey in the playoffs. They score more than everyone else but they also allow more goals than everyone else. So the numbers look great, but they've only got out of the second round once in MacKinnon's 11 year career so far.

Toronto plays differently. We score less goals but we allow less goals. Our players stats look worse but our goals against also drop significantly.

For comparing stats teams like Colorado and Edmonton look great because they'll win games 6-5 instead of 2-1 but it's usually not very successful. People act like Colorado is a powerhouse but they've only been out of the second round once - they just had a really great season when they did it.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Colorado plays differently though. They play run and gun hockey in the playoffs. They score more than everyone else but they also allow more goals than everyone else. So the numbers look great, but they've only got out of the second round once in MacKinnon's 11 year career so far.

Toronto plays differently. We score less goals but we allow less goals. Our players stats look worse but our goals against also drop significantly.

For comparing stats teams like Colorado and Edmonton look great because they'll win games 6-5 instead of 2-1 but it's usually not very successful. People act like Colorado is a powerhouse but they've only been out of the second round once - they just had a really great season when they did it.
That’s not entirely true esp when the Avs had ROR and others before.
Also Leafs plays an offensive style but just couldn’t score in playoffs. As they don’t seem to have a problem scoring in the regular season.
I don’t think comparing Avs making it past the 2nd round once make sense when AM, MM and Willie only made it out of the first round ONCE in 8 season.
it is no shame in saying AM is not as good as Mack, Kuch or Drai when it comes to playoffs.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
That’s not entirely true esp when the Avs had ROR and others before.
Also Leafs plays an offensive style but just couldn’t score in playoffs. As they don’t seem to have a problem scoring in the regular season.
I don’t think comparing Avs making it past the 2nd round once make sense when AM, MM and Willie only made it out of the first round ONCE in 8 season.
it is no shame in saying AM is not as good as Mack, Kuch or Drai when it comes to playoffs.

Yeah he's not yet but he's also younger than all of those guys which people forget. Matthews leads his teams in playoff scoring nearly every season. MacKinnon rarely leads his team in playoff scoring - but his stats look better because his team wins and loses games 6-5.

I'd also argue that all of those players are surrounded by way better players than Matthews is.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yeah he's not yet but he's also younger than all of those guys which people forget. Matthews leads his teams in playoff scoring nearly every season. MacKinnon rarely leads his team in playoff scoring - but his stats look better because his team wins and loses games 6-5.

I'd also argue that all of those players are surrounded by way better players than Matthews is.
Thats bc Mack and his team can score goals where our boys can't in the playoffs. They have no problems scoring goals in the regular season.
Think McD and Makar are clearly better, as whenever someone compare Rantanen or Point or Stamkos to MM, some here treated that as an insult to MM.
Honestly, like I said, it is not a discredit to AM to admit that Mack, Kuch and Drai are better player than him. It is not like I am saying Hyman or Coyle are better player than AM.

The point is more to do with regular season production Vs playoff production for each player than against each other.

AM just don't produce like his regular season self, where the others do, and for Drai, he actually produces even more than regular season.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Man your just a hater

Matthews for Makar

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
And yet we still hear fans and some media say “all that talent” when talking about the Leafs failures. I still don’t know where this talent is.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Rest in peace Dutchy, very sad. Hate seeing someone pass away so soon.

I'm surprised Colorado won last night. They looked like they were being filled in per the eye-test but their stars all showed up, had a big night and that was enough.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Rest in peace Dutchy, very sad. Hate seeing someone pass away so soon.

I'm surprised Colorado won last night. They looked like they were being filled in per the eye-test but their stars all showed up, had a big night and that was enough.
We will see what happens with the Avs. Not an easy situation. We talk about excuses here but how many team have their leading goal scorer enter rehab in the middle of a playoff series. You could fold up the tents and use that excuse on the team but you have to keep fighting.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Screenshot_2024-05-16-12-56-03~2.png

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What Marchand says here is true and has been for a very long time in the playoffs.

f*** this pos. Is that why he slewfoots other players? Is that why he injured Liljegren? Is that why Matthews got inured by that pos McAvoy?

FU Marchand.
and in the same breath FU Bennet you pos

you both deserve each other. Absolute pieces of trash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad