GDT: Around The League: 2024 Playoffs Edition Round 2- “Oh, You Didn’t Know? You’re Ass Better Call SOMEBODY!!!!!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Of course that will never happen, if anything I expect them to go to an 84 game schedule at some point. Too much money in it for both sides to decrease the number of games. And the league is in fear of the NFL, and football down south in general, so will continue to start as late as possible. Wish it was different, but nothing us minions up north can do about it.
Yep, I was also thinking the league would lose too much money cutting the schedule as well when I was typing that post. September to the end of May is a long enough season. They could still get 82 games in starting October 1st since half the time they’re starting mid-October anyways. Each team plays 16 games made up of back to backs, with no more than two pairs in a month. Over 6 months, should be easy to fit in 66 single games elsewhere and have playoffs start April 4th to give playoff teams a few days off before the grind starts, instead of the third week of April.

With the NBA playoffs running at the same time, the NHL will always be behind, even with the NFL wrapping up in February. The league needs to accept they’ll always be firmly planted behind those other two leagues and MLS is catching up, if not already surpassed it.

As you said, all wishful thinking-lol.

Reactions: bellagiobob

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Looks like Marner getting moved is going to happen. He has stated himself that he is open to0 moving on. For what it is worth Seravalli has the odds of a trade at 95%. I could see Marner to Nashville for Saros.

Not sure why Nashville makes that trade. Saros is a big reason Nashville made the playoffs and Marner is the exact opposite of a Tortz style player.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Not sure why Nashville makes that trade. Saros is a big reason Nashville made the playoffs and Marner is the exact opposite of a Tortz style player.
They have Askarov coming up and Saros has one year left. They will have to make a long term big money commitment to keep him which will probably carry a NMC or a significant NTC but then they will be in a more challenging spot with Askarov.

Nashville has never really had a truly top end offensive forward other than possibly Forsberg. And they typically have had a hard time scoring. For all his flaws Marner is extremely talented. I am also not sure he would not be a Trotz style player. He's not physical but he is quite good defensively and is a very good pk'er. His main issue has been in the playoffs he and the whole team have disappeared.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Looks like Marner getting moved is going to happen. He has stated himself that he is open to0 moving on. For what it is worth Seravalli has the odds of a trade at 95%. I could see Marner to Nashville for Saros.
Pajama boy castaway. Hope McDavid is watching how “fun” it is to be a hometown Pajama boy like Marner and Taavares.

He and Brian McDavid should feel lucky they dodged the Leaf’s bullet.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
They have Askarov coming up and Saros has one year left. They will have to make a long term big money commitment to keep him which will probably carry a NMC or a significant NTC but then they will be in a more challenging spot with Askarov.

Nashville has never really had a truly top end offensive forward other than possibly Forsberg. And they typically have had a hard time scoring. For all his flaws Marner is extremely talented. I am also not sure he would not be a Trotz style player. He's not physical but he is quite good defensively and is a very good pk'er. His main issue has been in the playoffs he and the whole team have disappeared.

All good points but Askarov has yet to be established? That Ryan O Reilly playoff digger is what I imagine a Trotz type player is and is why they went out and signed him. Marner doesn’t really fit that mold despite his positive bullet points and his price tag is and will be far more than Saros may command. Nashville never have been big spenders on single contracts either. I think this rumor is fuelled by Leaf media and perhaps my anti-Marner beer goggles are giving me a bias as I just cannot fathom Nashville making that deal.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
All good points but Askarov has yet to be established? That Ryan O Reilly playoff digger is what I imagine a Trotz type player is and is why they went out and signed him. Marner doesn’t really fit that mold despite his positive bullet points and his price tag is and will be far more than Saros may command. Nashville never have been big spenders on single contracts either. I think this rumor is fuelled by Leaf media and perhaps my anti-Marner beer goggles are giving me a bias as I just cannot fathom Nashville making that deal.
Your position has definite merit so I am not going to try hard to talk you out of it. That said I do think that there is some incentive in Nashville to try and add a real offensive talent. They seem to be able to make defensemen and goalies appear out of thin air. In their entire history they have had 4 80 point seasons out of their forwards. Forsberg 84 and 94, Kariya 94 and Duchene 86. In fact they have only had 8 70+ point seasons in their history from forwards.

CraftyVeteran

Lunatic
Apr 15, 2017
Congratulations you copper Gods. You are the kings of Alberta, the sole survivors of Canadian hockey and are now fighting to represent the Western Conference. Sally forth and smite thine enemies who bear the mark of the lone star. Take from them what is yours and make us all proud to root for Canada once again in a SC Final. We all hate Dallas. We all hate Jamie Benn. Because today, we are all Oilers.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
New thread is up!

If @McDNicks17 or @Bryanbryoil could put this one to pasture and sticky the new one, as always, it’d be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad