Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Yeah Backlund and Huberdeau were good together last year yet haven't seen the ice once this year.

Backlund is our best transition center... It only makes sense. Ruzicka and Lindholm had chemistry last year.

Huberdeau - Backlund - Coronato
Ruzicka - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Dube - Kadri - Coleman
Greer - Sharangovich - Duehr

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Yeah Backlund and Huberdeau were good together last year yet haven't seen the ice once this year.

Backlund is our best transition center... It only makes sense. Ruzicka and Lindholm had chemistry last year.

Dube - Kadri - Coleman
Honestly, IMO, this is the best we can do with what we have.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Dube - Kadri - Coleman
Coronato shouldn't be on the top line. I love the kid, but he's barely treading water and should probably be in the AHL getting top line minutes and a chance to dominate.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
On the plus side of that "sell Monahan at all costs because we just signed Kadri and are now significantly over the cap and have absolutely no leverage" trade is that it has tied up all 4 of our 1st round picks for the next 3 years eliminating Conroy's ability to trade a 1st to try and fix this crappy team
I'm torn between two responses. So I shall present both:

Flames Fans: "The Doug Gilmour trade to Toronto was the worst trade in franchise history"
Brad Treliving: "Hold my pizza."

- or -

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Lindy only really looks good when he doesn't have to carry the puck.
Huberdeau-Backlund-Coronato
Mangi-Lindy-Dube
Ruzicka-Kadri-Coleman
This. Hube Backs Coronato looked great in the preseason and Backs seems to elevate whoever he plays with. That line doesnt have to be the "top" line. Just send them out for offensive zone faceoffs and let them roll.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
This. Hube Backs Coronato looked great in the preseason and Backs seems to elevate whoever he plays with. That line doesnt have to be the "top" line. Just send them out for offensive zone faceoffs and let them roll.
Seems pretty simple. We have to get our $10 million man going and then you worry about the rest of the roster.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.

Dube - Kadri - Coleman

I’d be open to trying this line up.

Maybe switch Duehr and Coleman, so Kadri’s line can be high energy chaos and Rango’s line could be a little more subdued and defensive.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd like to try...

Huberdeau - Backlund - Lindholm
Ruzicka - Kadri - Mangiapane
Coleman - Dube - Coronato

Both Huby and Lindy have the same issue, they need a puck carrier to play with.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm torn between two responses. So I shall present both:

- or -

The trade is what it is, it's not getting better or worse. I truly don't believe Monahan was going to re-sign here, he's talked about a fresh start. So beyond last year, what Monahan does is irrelevant.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Oesterle in for Gilbert is bs, Gilbert has actually been a quiet 3rd pairing guy, which is good. Oesterle is bad every second shift. Oesterle in means we tanking.

Reactions: Boomstick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oesterle in for Gilbert is bs, Gilbert has actually been a quiet 3rd pairing guy, which is good. Oesterle is bad every second shift. Oesterle in means we tanking.
Where are you seeing this? In practice today Oesterle was on the "4th" pairing with Andersson

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Alright. I've come down off the ledge. I don't know why I got so triggered and just kinda fell into full on doom/gloom mode. It does happen to me from time to time, though.

Apologies for some of the posts I made here on our board and the negativity I was shooting off on the outside threads here on HF.

Trying to regroup myself for the Heritage Classic. I don't want to see anything but a Flames victory but if that's not in the cards I'm going to try and not freak out. I don't wanna be that kinda poster.

GFG and screw Edmonton.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Boston traded a 1st and two 2nds for Lindholm. Can the Flames get the same return or similar if they traded Hanifin?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Boston traded a 1st and two 2nds for Lindholm. Can the Flames get the same return or similar if they traded Hanifin?
Probably a low 1st plus some mid range prospects or picks at the TDL

Although I would say Lindholm is a bit better

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Probably a low 1st plus some mid range prospects or picks at the TDL

Although I would say Lindholm is a bit better
Agreed, he's just too vanilla to really be appreciated. Same mold as Bouwmeester, or even Tanev, to an extent. Not good enough offensively to be the scoring side of a top pairing and not physical/tough enough to be coveted as the defensive partner to a primary, pure offense player. Most teams will be looking at him as second pairing. Definitely not a player to build around but a nice addition to any cup run.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Really feel like Hanifin is gonna be traded soon ...
This team needs a big trade asap

Reactions: tmurfin

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Coronato shouldn't be on the top line. I love the kid, but he's barely treading water and should probably be in the AHL getting top line minutes and a chance to dominate.
I have to disagree on that one. He's been the best Flame by most offensive metrics the last few game, and has the most lethal shot on the team. Huberdeau-Backlund-Coronato is the best option at this point for a top line.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Eh. I love Coronato and definitely think he's going to be awesome going forward. I do see him struggling out there, but who isn't I guess..

The blender experiment can't go on forever. It'll be interesting to see where he lands full-time this season.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
5v5, the team is 4th in CF, 9th in CF%, 31st in S% and SV%, 6th in SCF, and HDCF. Still probably need to be setting up plays for shots in better position. But they will do better soon. They're only shooting 5%, 5v5. That has to go up. If it doesn't..they truly are a group of stone-hands plugs

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
5v5, the team is 4th in CF, 9th in CF%, 31st in S% and SV%, 6th in SCF, and HDCF. Still probably need to be setting up plays for shots in better position. But they will do better soon. They're only shooting 5%, 5v5. That has to go up. If it doesn't..they truly are a group of stone-hands plugs
You got about 9 games to piece it together.
4-5 doesn't get you there.
6-3 gets you back to level.

Anything below 6-3 should just be fire-sale to be perfectly honest. Anything not bolted down should be dumped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad