OT - NO POLITICS April edition - RIP Gordon Lightfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
My mom was a borderline hoarder. Not like you see on the show, but she never threw anything out. We always joked about the fact she had beach towels in her linen closet that dated back to when she had her grandkids over at the pool as toddlers, grandkids that were now in college. One day we got a dumpster; we were going to "declutter"; and the linen closet was going to be the first to go. My mom, who was suffering from dementia at the time, couldn't bear it and tossed us all out of the house.

After she passed, we went through things at a seriously slower pace than we had planned for the dumpster, and sandwiched between two towels we found a painting by my dad which had hung in my room as a kid. It had been missing for over 20 years. Whenever I had asked where it was, my mom had always said "Oh, your brother took that." I'm almost certain if we had filled the dumpster that day, no one would have stopped to check and the painting would've been in a landfill. Instead it hangs on the wall in my bedroom today,
My mom and her mother both passed from dementia/Alzheimer's. Years ago my grandfather said they never received their IRS refund check one year. After grandma passed and they were clearing things out, they found the check hidden under a tablecloth on the dining room table that they never used.

We still have a lot of my mom's stuff to go through, who knows what we will find.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
After 10:00 pm I typically will laugh at just about anything. I was watching a video on organizing and decluttering and this woman was talking about organizing for your space and not your stuff. Meaning if you don't have the space for it, organizing won't do anything, you have to declutter. As an example she said she had a whole lot of old towels. "I wouldn't ever put them out for people to use but I was keeping them because what if everyone in the house started puking at the same time???" :laugh::laugh:

I laughed for probably five minutes but also.... guilty. I need to not admit how many washcloths I have. :oops: The linen closet may be next up on my list...
I watch makeup declutters and it has helped me get rid of stuff that is old or that I just don't use. I have managed to whittle my collection down considerably after watching the videos.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
My mom and her mother both passed from dementia/Alzheimer's. Years ago my grandfather said they never received their IRS refund check one year. After grandma passed and they were clearing things out, they found the check hidden under a tablecloth on the dining room table that they never used.

We still have a lot of my mom's stuff to go through, who knows what we will find.
My mom died two years ago, of dementia, a few months after my brother Greg died from brain cancer.

Neither were hoarders, though Greg did save books and papers. My brother Bob sorted through Greg's stuff, and found, to my surprised amusement, letters I had sent to him in the 80s.

Why Greg kept these I do not know. Their stylistic pretensions are both embarrassing and hilarious. Some things never change.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Just me sitting here, reading the decluttering posts

and keeping my mouth shut about attachment theory....

I love my job (and actually rarely start with clutterin a home, its not my focus unless its unsafe) <3

Reactions: BMC and GordonHowe

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I lost my dad this weekend. I find that friends’ company helps. We are social animals. Tough to see them go. Mixed feelings between suffering and what’s best for them. Very long battle…….
I am so sorry for your loss. My Dad passed in 2003 of Alzheimer's. It is like losing them twice.

Sending a hug.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I lost my dad this weekend. I find that friends’ company helps. We are social animals. Tough to see them go. Mixed feelings between suffering and what’s best for them. Very long battle…….

I am so sorry.

And don't feel bad about your mixed feelings. They're real and you are definitely not alone in experiencing them.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Wasn't expecting that to be as interesting as it was lol. Thanks.
I knew about the munchkins, and, of course, strapping a growing girl's chest to hide that fact.

Four packs a day, I never heard.

Also, I bet those flying monkeys were loads of fun.

Take care and do your best, as doubtless you are.

Time helps and, I hope, at some point you'll remember the good times & the love you shared.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I watch makeup declutters and it has helped me get rid of stuff that is old or that I just don't use. I have managed to whittle my collection down considerably after watching the videos.

I am the precise opposite of a "hoarder" or "clutter bug."

Much prefer to travel light. Less is more. They ain't no luggage racks on a hearse.

My motto: When in doubt, pitch it.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I knew about the munchkins, and, of course, strapping a growing girl's chest to hide that fact.

Four packs a day, I never heard.

Also, I bet those flying monkeys were loads of fun.

Take care and do your best, as doubtless you are.

Time helps and, I hope, at some point you'll remember the good times & the love you shared.
The 4 packs a day boggles my mind. I still smoke here and there but not nearly as much as I used to when I was younger. I've managed 2 packs before at crazy parties in my hayday but 4 packs is like non stop smoking for 5 hours.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
They were the best. They understood my anxiety disorder and my panic attack beforehand. They didn't rush me. They listened. I did a novacaine and it was fine. Afterwards they sat me up held my hand and made sure I was okay before letting me out of the room. I never experienced such care in my life.

I am beyond sad I won't be able to go to them again.

I'm guessing you live in Melrose, but have you contacted Fenway Community Health (in the Fenway, Boylston St.; they also have a South End location) or perhaps Uphams Corner Health Clinic (Dorchester)?

I have MassHealth. I haven't needed a wisdom tooth removed, but teeth cleanings, etc. are no problem.

Also, check Tufts University School of Dentistry. They have a student training/practice program which is overseen and "signed off by" accredited dental faculty, in person & onsite.

Yes, it takes longer than it would if you went to a dentist's office, but it's much cheaper and again, properly supervised.

Let me know if you have any questions,

M.

Reactions: Mione134

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

That's my favorite Petty song!! I had a roommate from college that was a massive fan of his. I ended up going to see him live because of him, and I am so glad I did because it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

You have my deepest condolences on your loss, my friend. Losing a parent is always difficult to go through. So many feelings and memories to unpack. I feel for you.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
You know, I've never had sarsaparilla.

I only know it from old Westerns.

What's it like?
Very unique. Think wintergreen, vanilla, caramel and licorice. It's used to make root beer like drinks.
Market Basket used to sell it back in the day. Anyone else remember that? Like early 90s Market Basket where they had the big cases of soda cans with all the old timey flavors like Birch Beer and Sarsaparilla and people would have them for parties or family gatherings? I remember it being kind of like root beer but more earthy and not as sweet.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Market Basket used to sell it back in the day. Anyone else remember that? Like early 90s Market Basket where they had the big cases of soda cans with all the old timey flavors like Birch Beer and Sarsaparilla and people would have them for parties or family gatherings? I remember it being kind of like root beer but more earthy and not as sweet.
My dad used to love all the weird flavors like these from MB but his all time favorite was Moxie. Stuff was gross AF but he bought it all the time.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
My dad used to love all the weird flavors like these from MB but his all time favorite was Moxie. Stuff was gross AF but he bought it all the time.
Every once in a blue moon I'd see Moxie somewhere and buy one, and the first two sips are like "this is pretty good" but then by sip 3 the initial hit of sweetness fades and it just devolves into that bitter gingerbread licorice swill and I decide that I'm not going to have a Moxie for another 3 years.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The 4 packs a day boggles my mind. I still smoke here and there but not nearly as much as I used to when I was younger. I've managed 2 packs before at crazy parties in my hayday but 4 packs is like non stop smoking for 5 hours.

I smoke, but didn't really start until my early 20s, and then not again until my mid thirties. So, I never got hooked on 'em the way those who started in eighth grade did, poor buggers.

The surest way to stop a kid from picking up the habit is to have them smoke.

One after another after another.

Until they puke.

Smoking will swiftly lose its cool kid allure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I'm guessing you live in Melrose, but have you contacted Fenway Community Health (in the Fenway, Boylston St.; they also have a South End location) or perhaps Uphams Corner Health Clinic (Dorchester)?

I have MassHealth. I haven't needed a wisdom tooth removed, but teeth cleanings, etc. are no problem.

Also, check Tufts University School of Dentistry. They have a student training/practice program which is overseen and "signed off by" accredited dental faculty, in person & onsite.

Yes, it takes longer than it would if you went to a dentist's office, but it's much cheaper and again, properly supervised.

Let me know if you have any questions,

M.

I don't live in Melrose, but I have doctors who are from that area. My former dentist office always had referrals to Melrose Oral Surgery. That's why I always was using them.

Since they no longer take Mass Health its been like talking to walls and in circles. I was able to get an antibiotic from a dentist in Malden. And I was able to schedule my wisdom tooth extraction for June 8th. I've been waiting for a long time. Luckily my swelling is down significantly, and my gums aren't as inflamed. It was just so frustrating that nobody was listening to me or giving me solutions at a time where I was very scared and frustrated.

I appreciate your comment though and your recommendations though. :)

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I don't live in Melrose, but I have doctors who are from that area. My former dentist office always had referrals to Melrose Oral Surgery. That's why I always was using them.

Since they no longer take Mass Health its been like talking to walls and in circles. I was able to get an antibiotic from a dentist in Malden. And I was able to schedule my wisdom tooth extraction for June 8th. I've been waiting for a long time. Luckily my swelling is down significantly, and my gums aren't as inflamed. It was just so frustrating that nobody was listening to me or giving me solutions at a time where I was very scared and frustrated.

I appreciate your comment though and your recommendations though. :)

Good luck. Tuck away the info.

Reactions: Mione134

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

Every once in a blue moon I'd see Moxie somewhere and buy one, and the first two sips are like "this is pretty good" but then by sip 3 the initial hit of sweetness fades and it just devolves into that bitter gingerbread licorice swill and I decide that I'm not going to have a Moxie for another 3 years.
When I was stationed in Maine, we had a radar operator who was a born and bred Mainer, who RAVED about Moxie, to the point where our entire crew got some and not a one of us could finish it. Perhaps the grossest beverage on earth.

Of course...
Market Basket also sold this, which might be in the running:
1685484491097.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad