Player Discussion Andrew Peeke

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I wouldn't, and I bet Toronto wouldn't either. Peeke would've been the ideal candidate for what they're looking for, an inexpensive partner for Rielly, if he were still on the trade market. What does Toronto do now? Hakanpaa would be cheaper but he's pretty slow. Jan Rutta's older but makes the same money as Peeke. Luke Schenn, same money as Peeke, slow and old. Gudbrandson at 50% retained would be expensive.

I think you are incredibly overrating peeke because he’s on par with all these guys. The bruins wouldn’t miss him for a second if he disappeared

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
20k posts leading up to the trade deadline in about 20 different deadline threads and not once do I remember reading this.... "You know who would be a great get? Andrew Peeke, that healthy scratch on one of the worst teams in the league with that bloated contract."

Now he's a Bruin and and he's this stroke of genius secret weapon. Again, it's whatever, but hard to be overly excited about.
I wanted him. Honestly didn’t believe he would actually be available. Thought he’d be a perfect fit in Boston and that his presence would have a positive effect on the rest of the blueline as we were lacking a player with his presence.

That all being said, the guy I watched in Boston wasn’t the one I was arguing for. Peeke has played it VERY safe in his short time here and the guy I wanted (and saw with Jackets) was a lot more aggressive. Sometimes that made him more trick or treat, admittedly. But he was a gamer playing in one hell of a mess in Columbus.

I hope with more time, he’ll get more comfortable. But for now, he has yet to provide what I believe Sweeney and the Bruins scouts were hoping for.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think you are incredibly overrating peeke because he’s on par with all these guys. The bruins wouldn’t miss him for a second if he disappeared
It's typical HF Boston boards. They overrate the player because anything otherwise and they'd have to admit they may have not made the right move. It's a weird dynamic. It's like the faction of people who refused to admit Tomas Kaberle sucked to the point where he was an afterthought on that team, despite that being reality.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
It's typical HF Boston boards. They overrate the player because anything otherwise and they'd have to admit they may have not made the right move. It's a weird dynamic. It's like the faction of people who refused to admit Tomas Kaberle sucked to the point where he was an afterthought on that team, despite that being reality.
The only time he comes to mind is the game against the Nucks where he shot it from the blue line and Ryder tipped it in.

• Haha
Reactions: KWbruin and LSCII

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
They missed him in postseason when he wasn't there

How so? They beat Toronto and then won game 1 against florida without him. Peeke came back against florida and they lost 3 out of 4games with him.

Bruins were 4-3 with Peeke out of the lineup in the playoffs and 2-4 with him in the lineup. Not that he was the reason for that but he certainly wasn’t missed.

Last edited:
Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Also very typical HF Bruins to nit pick about one player on a cup winning team.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I wouldn't want to tinker with the butterfly effect if there was no Kaberle for that post season run. Everything worked out in the end, with some of the margins being super close and a flip of the coin.
My thoughts exactly, I’ve seen that Ashton Kutcher movie. If we don’t trade for Kaberle there’s a chance I die, who is to say?

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Peeke will be a "better than" replacement for Forbort for less money. He's the least of their problems.
Swayman is the only 4th round pick, in the last 10 years to make a giant impact, Heinen was 4th, meh.
So I don't see it as the over payment some do.
Honestly, unless you're picking in the top 3 pf the draft, in most years, getting an NHL regular out of the 1st round is a win. Bruins seems to do the best damage in rounds 2-3.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigGoalBrad

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Peeke the right-handed shot Forbort. Overrated.

What's the obsession with this guy? He's been adequate at best. At least, he's much younger than DF.
All I saw was him keeping some guys honest in front of the net. When he went down in the Toronto series, it changed. Not saying he’s a super d, but I have no problem with him. They actually got harder to play against with Wotherspoon as well. The system is whT sucks in my opinion. They are a mess back there. I just can’t pin point what it is that’s the problem. There better guys than me here that can dissect the stupid system they play. It’s either that or we have dumb players.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
All I saw was him keeping some guys honest in front of the net. When he went down in the Toronto series, it changed. Not saying he’s a super d, but I have no problem with him. They actually got harder to play against with Wotherspoon as well. The system is whT sucks in my opinion. They are a mess back there. I just can’t pin point what it is that’s the problem. There better guys than me here that can dissect the stupid system they play. It’s either that or we have dumb players.
Thank you! I've been saying that for a while. It's the team defensive structure and defensive positioning. My take, they are more concerned with a quick puck recovery and break out transition than preventive team defensive coverage. Other things as well, but that seems to be the MO under Montgomery.

Reactions: BMC

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Thank you! I've been saying that for a while. It's the team defensive structure and defensive positioning. My take, they are more concerned with a quick puck recovery and break out transition than preventive team defensive coverage. Other things as well, but that seems to be the MO under Montgomery.
Yah, something isn’t clicking. That needs to change. The system doesn’t identify what each player does in what circumstance.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
We’re ridiculously thin on D. If we had anything in the system we could move this guy for a 6th or 7th round pick and get guys on the minimum. But there’s nothing at all after McAvoy and Carlo at RD so he’s a little overpaid.

I’d be fine with moving on and getting cheaper replacements but it would make us older smaller and for what to save 1.5 mil in cap room? He’s big young and skates well.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
How so? They beat Toronto and then won game 1 against florida without him. Peeke came back against florida and they lost 3 out of 4games with him.

Bruins were 4-3 with Peeke out of the lineup in the playoffs and 2-4 with him in the lineup. Not that he was the reason for that but he certainly wasn’t missed.
Was the 2nd worst of the D in the playoffs in CF%, FF%, and xGF%

Lowest Shots taken/60 of all the D
2nd Lowest in Hits per 60
3rd lowest of the 9 D in shots blocked/60

That's a tiny game sample size and I don't put a lot of stock, but I also don't see a ton of there. He's "fine for now" because there's nobody better.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Was the 2nd worst of the D in the playoffs in CF%, FF%, and xGF%

Lowest Shots taken/60 of all the D
2nd Lowest in Hits per 60
3rd lowest of the 9 D in shots blocked/60

That's a tiny game sample size and I don't put a lot of stock, but I also don't see a ton of there. He's "fine for now" because there's nobody better

Third lowest is the same as 3rd highest?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad