1695868478186.png

The program had the wrong date on the cover
1695867920540.png

Last edited:

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Still have my tIckets, brochure and auction program

Drove up from New Jersey to be there .....what a night of memories. The most poignant, and the one I will always remember was Bourque helping Norman Leveille take a lap around the rink. Not a dry eye in the house

I know the lack of seats, suites and HVAC had made the Garden a dinosaur but I miss that old barn.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Reactions: lopey and Fenway

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Some great memories, only bad thing from that was remembering that Steve Kasper once coached the Bruins. Current GM Don Sweeney scored the last goal ever at the old Boston Garden. One thing also, I notice when watching videos of games back in the 90's, not many fans were wearing team jerseys, today just about every rink is filled with fans wearing a jersey of their favourite team.

Reactions: Gordoff

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Many of us have a reasons for being Boston Bruin fans starting in the 1970s.
Primarily because of Bobby.
For me it was everything Boston...
Bruins
Red Sox
Celtics
Patriots
Like some, Cheevers was my favorite Bruin.

The Gardens stood alone. The look, the fans the atmosphere. No other building was as unique as the Garden.
The off-centered clock. No a/c. The balcony practically hanging over the ice. The clock in the corner. Smaller ice surface.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Many of us have a reasons for being Boston Bruin fans starting in the 1970s.
Primarily because of Bobby.
For me it was everything Boston...
Bruins
Red Sox
Celtics
Patriots
Like some, Cheevers was my favorite Bruin.

The Gardens stood alone. The look, the fans the atmosphere. No other building was as unique as the Garden.
The off-centered clock. No a/c. The balcony practically hanging over the ice. The clock in the corner. Smaller ice surface.
I bet the remnants still smell like cigarettes.

Reactions: SPB2776 and nORRis8

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Had given up my season tickets the year before. This was a time when you knew most of the people around you because maybe they split there seats with another person or came to all the games themselves. I missed 1 game from 86 to 94, the day my mom died.

Waited out for tickets and wound up with loges right to the right of the goal. Went up to my old seats before the game and it was still all the same people as before.

Game was irrelevant, between periods was the only time I saw Maurice Richard live. On the way in my greeters were Don Cherry, Stan Jonathan, Gord Kluzak, Brad Park and God himself Orr. As fond as I am of a certain style of play couldn't have asked for a better group.

Cherry's ovation during the ceremony was great but of all the folks that came out before they brought the numbers down nothing was as emotional as Normand Leveille skating onto the ice with Bourques and Sweeney's help. O'Reilly skating around with his son was also amazing. Seeing the numbers brought down and the hand Orr got was something I will never forget.

I miss that uncomfortable, sweaty, too small building more than I ever thought I would.

Not a fan of this getting old stuff but I got to see real hockey played in real buildings like the Forum, Mapke Leaf Gardens. The Chicago Stadium and the Garden. It's a pretty good trade off.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I never got to go to the old Garden and it's something I always wish I had the chance to do. I only even started following hockey in 95 and I'd watched a handful of Bruin games on Fox or TV38, so I remember seeing games that took place there, just was too young to go. If I were 2 or 3 years older and got into hockey in 1992-93 instead of 1995 I might've got the chance.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
[/QUOTE]
Had given up my season tickets the year before. This was a time when you knew most of the people around you because maybe they split there seats with another person or came to all the games themselves. I missed 1 game from 86 to 94, the day my mom died.

Waited out for tickets and wound up with loges right to the right of the goal. Went up to my old seats before the game and it was still all the same people as before.

Game was irrelevant, between periods was the only time I saw Maurice Richard live. On the way in my greeters were Don Cherry, Stan Jonathan, Gord Kluzak, Brad Park and God himself Orr. As fond as I am of a certain style of play couldn't have asked for a better group.

Cherry's ovation during the ceremony was great but of all the folks that came out before they brought the numbers down nothing was as emotional as Normand Leveille skating onto the ice with Bourques and Sweeney's help. O'Reilly skating around with his son was also amazing. Seeing the numbers brought down and the hand Orr got was something I will never forget.

I miss that uncomfortable, sweaty, too small building more than I ever thought I would.

Not a fan of this getting old stuff but I got to see real hockey played in real buildings like the Forum, Mapke Leaf Gardens. The Chicago Stadium and the Garden. It's a pretty good trade off.

Loved the sightlines in the place except the obstructed view seats...lol.

Can still picture the smoke hanging over the ice.

Still can hear the lunatic who use to scream at the top of his lungs when there was a lul in play.

Got to see my nephew play 7 times in The Garden for Burlington HS, between March '77 and March '79. Including his '78 3OT win over Matignon , he was on the ice when they scored in OT, it remains one of the top State Tourney games in history. Then they lost the State Championship Game in OT to Hudson, who had Matt Felipe's Dad as Captain of Hudson. I think its the last time 2 public schools played for the
D1 or Super 8 title.

Another nephew of mine's best friend at Belmont HS, scored the last Beanpot goal and last NCAA goal in the old Garden...BU's Matt Wright.
Milbury wanted to sign him and make him a goon. Wright said no thanks.

Also saw my Best Man play in the 1971 Tech Tourney at The Garden, when Watertown upset Hyde Park HS.

Remember bumping into Mil Schmidt, when Boston tied St. Louis in the last minute
in a February 1968 game when I was in 7th grade. I was walking down the steps from the balcony and he came down another set of merging steps and we were the only ones on them. I said something about being lucky to tie it and he smiled and said yeah sure were. Seemed like such a nice guy.

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I can never watch that clip of Normand Leveille & Ray Bourque without crying. Even though I wasn't a fan at the time he had his stroke there's something about it that always gets to me.

I went to the old Garden once, in the late spring of 1985. Celtics were playing Cleveland in a quarter final game. Place was packed. My friend warned me about the lines for & the condition of the rest rooms so I made sure I went before we got there & had nothing to drink while I was there. The Celtics won, of course.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005

Adding to what you said above, Stan Jonathan looked like he was in genuine shock at the crazy ovation he got. Huge grin. Well deserved. Good for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad