All Purpose Media Thread

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
Any chance we can put Willy D on waivers with the first group of kids heading back to Milwaukee? He obviously did not take his off season training regimen seriously and it shows he still horrible to listen to. He calls games about as well as Ben Harper plays.

Reactions: predhead1

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah dunno why they don't find someone halfway decent. He's definitely below average and the fact he makes calls based on other sports is seriously irritating. It is not a foul :mad:

Reactions: AnalogKid

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Villie D is a baseball guy. He’s always been a baseball guy and he will always be a baseball guy. Why the people rganization didn’t go after another hockey person like Krispy baffles me to no end.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Man, listening to Weber in that 1st pre-season game.. it was pure gold.

Exactly- night day difference from the 2nd game that night. Ugh

Watched a couple of minutes of Seattle pre-season game last night and they have freaking John Forslund and Eddie Olczyk doing their games.

Forslund is my favorite play by play guy in the entire league, and I would pay money, a good bit of money, to be able to listen to him do all the Preds games.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I had hoped Willie would get better after a couple of years, but it really hasn't happened. I really wish he was on radio (my apologies to those who listen primarily via radio).

Unrelated funny clip of Hynes:

Reactions: sparkle twin

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Yeah…..if I’m having to go to twitter or some obscure corner of the internet to get less than adequate coverage of the best sports franchise in Nashville, I’m still gonna complain about lack of coverage. Twitter is a cess pool that you refuse to get in to. The “local media” does a trash job of covering the Preds. The radio station that claims to be the “Flagship of the Predators” MIGHT talk about them for 30 minutes during a program on a good day. I doubt any one on that station could talk intelligently about any of the other teams in the NHL. If someone handed them a roster for the Admirals, they’d have no clue what they were looking at.

But they can drone on for hours on end about the most obscure players on any roster until NFL……..

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah…..if I’m having to go to twitter or some obscure corner of the internet to get less than adequate coverage of the best sports franchise in Nashville, I’m still gonna complain about lack of coverage. Twitter is a cess pool that you refuse to get in to. The “local media” does a trash job of covering the Preds. The radio station that claims to be the “Flagship of the Predators” MIGHT talk about them for 30 minutes during a program on a good day. I doubt any one on that station could talk intelligently about any of the other teams in the NHL. If someone handed them a roster for the Admirals, they’d have no clue what they were looking at.

But they can drone on for hours on end about the most obscure players on any roster until NFL……..
You can wait forever and it will never change. Traditional media is dying because more and more people voluntarily take the route you're describing as "some obscure corner of the Internet", and so they're cutting back to that which gets the most casual attention and thus the most dollars. And that's always going to be football.

We have the same phenomenon going on up here. If all you paid attention to was traditional media channels, you'd think Buckeye football was the only thing that ever happens here. It's the state of sports media in general right now.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Any chance we can put Willy D on waivers with the first group of kids heading back to Milwaukee? He obviously did not take his off season training regimen seriously and it shows he still horrible to listen to. He calls games about as well as Ben Harper plays.
We have Aaron Sims back to do the games on radio. Aaron has a backup if he gets sick or works the rare TV telecast game.

Reactions: AnalogKid

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

You over rate the level of intelligence of the TWITS, sir!

Reactions: ShagDaddy

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
You can wait forever and it will never change. Traditional media is dying because more and more people voluntarily take the route you're describing as "some obscure corner of the Internet", and so they're cutting back to that which gets the most casual attention and thus the most dollars. And that's always going to be football.

We have the same phenomenon going on up here. If all you paid attention to was traditional media channels, you'd think Buckeye football was the only thing that ever happens here. It's the state of sports media in general right now.
The Buckeyes were the second best college football team in the entire state of Ohio last year.

How much did the Dispatch, Post, Messenger and Lantern cover the Bearcats?

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro

In today’s society, the media drives the narrative. Twitter, blogs and obscure websites by people that decided they wanted to be “journalist” this week, will never have the same sway. Will the journalist/sports writer wannabes put out content? Sure they will. Will that content be of any quality? Probably not because the team has no idea who they are and aren’t going to share much of anything with them.

Like it or not, radio stations and TV stations still have the credentialed reporters/journalist that the organization will talk to. The TV stations and radio stations refuse to dedicate much of their shows to the Preds keeping the team from being more prominent than they are. If the media decides tomorrow to dedicate half their coverage to the Preds, the local market would start paying more attention to the Preds growing the fan base, the fan base knowledge of hockey would expand and would lead to the local market wanting even more. The media just refuses to do that.

The actual media holds all the cards and the wannabe bloggers/twittersphere/obscure website folks will never provide much quality content.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In today’s society, the media drives the narrative. Twitter, blogs and obscure websites by people that decided they wanted to be “journalist” this week, will never have the same sway. Will the journalist/sports writer wannabes put out content? Sure they will. Will that content be of any quality? Probably not because the team has no idea who they are and aren’t going to share much of anything with them.

Like it or not, radio stations and TV stations still have the credentialed reporters/journalist that the organization will talk to.
Um. So do the blogs. And the Twitterati. A number of folks in that list of "local media" sources on Twitter are in fact so credentialed. A couple are going to Prague with the team.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
It's pretty easy to be bombarded with stupidity just following the Preds official feed.

Stupidity from the Preds? Or from the people commenting? If the former then you can just stop following them. If the latter then just don’t read the comments.

Reactions: jumb0

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Um. So do the blogs. And the Twitterati. A number of folks in that list of "local media" sources on Twitter are in fact so credentialed. A couple are going to Prague with the team.
If you’re considering Twitter to be local media, then I’m voting for Nine_inch_fang to create a Twitter account so that the “local media” has someone that can spell NHL…..

• Haha
Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Like it or not, radio stations and TV stations still have the credentialed reporters/journalist that the organization will talk to. The TV stations and radio stations refuse to dedicate much of their shows to the Preds keeping the team from being more prominent than they are. If the media decides tomorrow to dedicate half their coverage to the Preds, the local market would start paying more attention to the Preds growing the fan base, the fan base knowledge of hockey would expand and would lead to the local market wanting even more. The media just refuses to do that.

The actual media holds all the cards and the wannabe bloggers/twittersphere/obscure website folks will never provide much quality content.
But I don't think most people really care about "quality content"... or know the difference. Or care to find out the difference. They just want the fire hose pointed into their face, and they'll take whatever comes out, whether it's true, false, "quality", junk, whatever. They are going to be sitting at their devices clicking all those types of media for all their other daily content anyway. That's how people live now. And so yeah, sadly they will cheerfully consume any such junk content, and it won't really matter what some small minority of more "serious" fans would rather see. :(

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Use of the term “journalist” to describe the local media is stretching it a bit. Some are but mostly a bunch of folks who offer opinions just like we do. Only they do it for money, fame or both. Many of the media today covering sports and news are a bunch of kids who got a first job after obtaining some sort of communications degree. They come and go. We hear and see them; ever changing but hardly journalists. I put less value on most of their work than I do some of the informed opinions on this board(myself excluded). It’s a shame really given the excellent team journalists of the past in this sports market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad