Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Also interested in the other Finnish defenseman - Jesse Pulkkinen. Anyone seen him play? 6'6", overager, significant progression over the year, apparently a smooth skater, has some offensive ability. Not that great defensively.
I haven't, but check out this fantastic report from one of the best scouts over on the NJD board: Prospect Info: - 2024 NHL Draft Thread

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I haven't, but check out this fantastic report from one of the best scouts over on the NJD board: Prospect Info: - 2024 NHL Draft Thread
Didn't know about this guy but I'll have to read through his posts for more info.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Stian Solberg post. I've been keeping an eye out for reports on him since the WJC. He seemed like a good one to target at 33 but I wonder if he's rising in a way that would make him a reasonable pick at 14 instead of someone like Jiricek. There's a part of me that wants to trade down a few spots to try and grab a few of these 2nd tier d-men like Solberg, Jiricek, Emery, etc.

Reactions: NiWa

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Still get the chef's kiss if it's Eklund-Celebrini-Kunin?
Eklund-Celebrini-Pat Falloon?
He's a fine prospect and so is Halttunen - probably a cut above Coe and Robins at the same age - but I would still bet heavily against either guy playing a significant role on the next good Sharks team. That's just the reality of picking in the 30s.
Halttunen = Tradebait
Luca Cagnoni= EK65
Brandon Svoboda=Bust
Quentin Musty=God

• Haha
Reactions: landshark

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I think Haltt being trade bait less than a year after being Grier's 2nd round pick is farfetched.
Especially when he was picked, knowing that he has one really strong skill, and needs to round out the rest of his game to be a complete player. Trading him just as he starts rounding out the rest of his game to an sudden and extreme level like he has in the playoffs seems unlikely.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't want Jiricek because regardless of his struggles or questions over his ceiling I don't like guys with significant knee injuries while they're young. Knees are basically time bombs once they've been hurt for the first time and it becomes a question of how quickly does he accrue further injuries or the expedited degradation that could mean he's toast by the time he's in his early 30s. We saw it with Michalek and were seeing the potential beginnings of it with Hertl.
I tend to agree with this but I would also extend that to Lindstrom and his back issues. Those types of injuries also tend to be degenerative as they put more wear and tear on their bodies. Besides, the 33 pick will probably have available a similar type of prospect to Jiricek. Guys like Elick or Badinka or Emery should be there to snatch up. MBN or Sennecke with one of those three at 33 and someone like Marques at 42 would be a pretty solid group of draft picks.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Warning: Very long post ahead with many of different trade scenarios to move up in the draft and/or adding other late 1st rounders.

I believe there are a few options not being talked about (enough) in regards to potential trade up scenarios.

First, cap dumps. This is probably the best time for Grier to take advantage of weaponizing his cap space.

Second, is the desire of teams to move their picks for win now pieces.

-

Ottawa - it’s well documented that they’re disappointed to not have taken a big step forward into the playoffs the past few seasons. They also have to give up a future 1st because Vegas was upset.

There’s lots of smoke about wanting to get out of the Korpisalo deal. They seem like an ideal team to move back if they can dump Korpi and add an extra pick.

#14 & #42 for #7 and Korpi

The Sens clear $4m in cap space while getting out of four more years of the Korpi contract. Then they have some options: flip #14 for a win now player (G? RD?), or add some quality pieces to their prospect pool before forfeiting their 1st in the next two seasons.

The Sharks carry three (somewhat injury prone goalies) for next season. Two of whom are entering the final year of their current deals. I personally don’t mind this deal at all. More on them in a bit.

Seattle - Lots of disappointment from missing the playoffs after an impressive showing last year. There’s been a lot of speculation about a need for a big splash but they don’t have a ton of cap space and assets to do so.

Taking Grubauer off of their hands should do the trick. $5.9m for three more years. Opens up some options for them this summer. Plenty of similar goalie options for them at much cheaper prices.

#14 & #42 for #8 and Gru

Once again, the Sharks carry three (somewhat injury prone goalies) for next season. Two of whom are entering the final year of their current deals. I don’t mind this deal either.

New Jersey - same as Ottawa, it’s well documented that they’re very disappointed to miss the playoffs after taking such a big step last season. They’re connected to both Markstrom and Saros. Lots of smoke about them adding a one of those guys this summer.

Instead of trading #10 for one of those goalies, why not trade #14 while adding another high pick to their cache? The Devils are without their 2nd (Timo) and could use a quality depth dman on a cheap deal.

#14 & #42 & Benning/Buroughs for #10

The Devils can then flip #14 and Holtz/Mercer for Markstrom/Saros. While using #42 for a separate trade or adding another prospect to their pool.

Buffalo - Same as Ottawa and New Jersey before them. Well documented disappointment from a long playoff drought. Deep prospect pool. Theyre reportedly looking for top 4 RD and veteran leadership in their forward corps.

#14 & #42 & Benning/Buroughs for #11

The Sabers can flip #14 and/or #42 in a trade for a win now player or just keep adding to their prospect pool.

Those are just some ideas for moving up from #14.

Regardless of how those scenarios play out, I’d like to see Grier be aggressive with adding another 1st or two while utilizing his cap space and roster openings. Trade for established vets on shorter deals than he’d have to sign in FA.

-

St. Louis - They have a glut of dmen taking up a ton of cap space. They already tried moving Krug last summer and failed. According to their beat writer on the Athletic (Rutherford) they’re consider moving their 1st to clear cap space (think Marleau and Carolina). Krug has three years left at $6.5m

But why would Krug waive for San Jose? Scott Fitzgerald of course! The Sharks were very quick to point out Fitzgerald’s role in signing Krug for the Bruins as one of the reasons they hired him.

Maybe Krug would like a change of scene and to go somewhere that he gets top pairing minutes and PP time? Worst case he says no but if the Blues are willing to part with their 1st it’s worth looking into imo.

Future consideration/Ozzy for #16 & Krug

Long Island - Same as the Blues. Lots of speculation about making some big changes and clearing cap to be active in FA to add some scoring.

I’d be on the land line to Lou offering to take some contracts off of his hands. Specifically, Anders Lee, two years left at $7m, and JGP, two years left at $5m.

$12m in cap space is more than worth #18.

Will they want to trade their captain? Not sure, but Arthur Staple on the Athletic has indicated both Lee and JGP as trade candidates.

I like both players for the Sharks as quality vet influences the next two years.

Future consideration/Ozzy for #18 & Lee & JGP

Ottawa (again) - The Sens also have the Bruins 1st (26th overall?). I’d be open to something along the lines of:

#26 & two of their four(!) 4ths for dumping Korpisalo.

Might be worth it.

-

That’s it, folks. These are all of the ideas that have been bouncing around in my head for a few weeks now. Everything is based on speculation from NHL insiders and team beat writers. I appreciate you reading my novel.
Love the well thought out post, thanks!

I don't love the Ottawa trades because taking on Korpi is rough, He sucks, and goalies are harder to hide than other positions. Definitely a big fan of doing the Seattle trade especially but even NJ since Dickinson will likely be there still. Buffalo trade would be fine but likely trading up for Parekh or Yamekchuk there.

I really like both the Islanders and Blues trades and would do both. Lee could be a good veteran winger to put on a line with one of the Sharks' young centers (and he only has 2 years x7M left on his deal). Krug is a puck-moving defenseman that could be useful on the PP while prospects are developing as the defense currently is lacking any puck movers. Cap space shouldn't be an issue even with Krug having 3yr x6.5M left on his deal. Can always buy out Vlasic or send Burroughs to the AHL if there's a logjam. I think SJ could grab MBN and Jiricek with those extra 1st round picks. Obviously a pipe dream but a Celebrini, Dickinson/Parekh/Yakemchuk, MBN, and Jiricek draft sounds pretty damn nice eh? :naughty::naughty::naughty:

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
Love the well thought out post, thanks!

I don't love the Ottawa trades because taking on Korpi is rough, He sucks, and goalies are harder to hide than other positions. Definitely a big fan of doing the Seattle trade especially but even NJ since Dickinson will likely be there still. Buffalo trade would be fine but likely trading up for Parekh or Yamekchuk there.

I really like both the Islanders and Blues trades and would do both. Lee could be a good veteran winger to put on a line with one of the Sharks' young centers (and he only has 2 years x7M left on his deal). Krug is a puck-moving defenseman that could be useful on the PP while prospects are developing as the defense currently is lacking any puck movers. Cap space shouldn't be an issue even with Krug having 3yr x6.5M left on his deal. Can always buy out Vlasic or send Burroughs to the AHL if there's a logjam. I think SJ could grab MBN and Jiricek with those extra 1st round picks. Obviously a pipe dream but a Celebrini, Dickinson/Parekh/Yakemchuk, MBN, and Jiricek draft sounds pretty damn nice eh? :naughty::naughty::naughty:
Thanks for the positive feedback, @DG93!

That sounds like a fantastic pipe dream and I’m here for it! 🤞

If Grier was able to pull off the hypothetical Blues + Islanders trades AND Celebrini + Smith go pro this year, this is how I’d draw it up prior to FA.

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Lee-Celebrini-FA?
Kostin-JGP-W.Smith
Bords-Sturm-Kunin
(G. Smith)

Krug-FA?
Mario-Rutta
Thrun-Emberson
(2 of Vlasic, Benning, Burroughs)

If Logan is health, I would consider this bottom 6:

Logan-JGP-W.Smith
Kostin-Sturm-Kunin

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Warning: Very long post ahead with many of different trade scenarios to move up in the draft and/or adding other late 1st rounders.

I believe there are a few options not being talked about (enough) in regards to potential trade up scenarios.

First, cap dumps. This is probably the best time for Grier to take advantage of weaponizing his cap space.

-

Ottawa - it’s well documented that they’re disappointed to not have taken a big step forward into the playoffs the past few seasons. They also have to give up a future 1st because Vegas was upset.

There’s lots of smoke about wanting to get out of the Korpisalo deal. They seem like an ideal team to move back if they can dump Korpi and add an extra pick.

The Sens clear $4m in cap space while getting out of four more years of the Korpi contract. Then they have some options: flip #14 for a win now player (G? RD?), or add some quality pieces to their prospect pool before forfeiting their 1st in the next two seasons.

The Sharks carry three (somewhat injury prone goalies) for next season. Two of whom are entering the final year of their current deals. I personally don’t mind this deal at all. More on them in a bit.

Seattle - Lots of disappointment from missing the playoffs after an impressive showing last year. There’s been a lot of speculation about a need for a big splash but they don’t have a ton of cap space and assets to do so.

Taking Grubauer off of their hands should do the trick. $5.9m for three more years. Opens up some options for them this summer. Plenty of similar goalie options for them at much cheaper prices.

#14 & #42 for #8 and Gru

Once again, the Sharks carry three (somewhat injury prone goalies) for next season. Two of whom are entering the final year of their current deals. I don’t mind this deal either.

New Jersey - same as Ottawa, it’s well documented that they’re very disappointed to miss the playoffs after taking such a big step last season. They’re connected to both Markstrom and Saros. Lots of smoke about them adding a one of those guys this summer.

Instead of trading #10 for one of those goalies, why not trade #14 while adding another high pick to their cache? The Devils are without their 2nd (Timo) and could use a quality depth dman on a cheap deal.

The Devils can then flip #14 and Holtz/Mercer for Markstrom/Saros. While using #42 for a separate trade or adding another prospect to their pool.

Buffalo - Same as Ottawa and New Jersey before them. Well documented disappointment from a long playoff drought. Deep prospect pool. Theyre reportedly looking for top 4 RD and veteran leadership in their forward corps.

The Sabers can flip #14 and/or #42 in a trade for a win now player or just keep adding to their prospect pool.

Regardless of how those scenarios play out, I’d like to see Grier be aggressive with adding another 1st or two while utilizing his cap space and roster openings. Trade for established vets on shorter deals than he’d have to sign in FA.

-

St. Louis - They have a glut of dmen taking up a ton of cap space. They already tried moving Krug last summer and failed. According to their beat writer on the Athletic (Rutherford) they’re consider moving their 1st to clear cap space (think Marleau and Carolina). Krug has three years left at $6.5m

But why would Krug waive for San Jose? Scott Fitzgerald of course! The Sharks were very quick to point out Fitzgerald’s role in signing Krug for the Bruins as one of the reasons they hired him.

Maybe Krug would like a change of scene and to go somewhere that he gets top pairing minutes and PP time? Worst case he says no but if the Blues are willing to part with their 1st it’s worth looking into imo.

Long Island - Same as the Blues. Lots of speculation about making some big changes and clearing cap to be active in FA to add some scoring.

I’d be on the land line to Lou offering to take some contracts off of his hands. Specifically, Anders Lee, two years left at $7m, and JGP, two years left at $5m.

Will they want to trade their captain? Not sure, but Arthur Staple on the Athletic has indicated both Lee and JGP as trade candidates.

I like both players for the Sharks as quality vet influences the next two years.

Ottawa (again) - The Sens also have the Bruins 1st (26th overall?). I’d be open to something along the lines of:

Might be worth it.

-

That’s it, folks. These are all of the ideas that have been bouncing around in my head for a few weeks now. Everything is based on speculation from NHL insiders and team beat writers. I appreciate you reading my novel.
So to look at best case scenario with those trades.

Seattle
#8 + Grub for #14 + #42
Blues
#16 + Krug for late round pick
NYI
#18 + Lee + JGP for late round pick
Ottawa
#26 + Korpisalo for late round pick

Sharks end up with:
#1 Celebrini
#8 Buium
#16 MBN
#18 Eiserman
#26 Emery
#33 Elick

Future lineup
Eiserman - Celebrini - Eklund
Musty - Smith - MBN

Buium - Emery
Muk - Elick

With two 2025 1sts. GMMG for GM of the year.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Welcome to the tribe!
My wife is actually Jewish, which apparently makes my daughter Jewish as well (I don't make the rules). But her family was never all that regular about going to temple and she hasn't been religious at all since I've known her, so it's really all about matzo ball soup and the good pastrami in this house.

Very bitter that there are no quality Jewish delis in the North Bay though. We get our fix when we visit her family in LA.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021

-

#14 & #42 for #8 and Gru

-

Might be worth it.

-

I don’t see why Grier would give up the #42 in any situation where he has to take more then 2 years in term, he’s already doing trade partners a favor by getting then out of those additional years the cost in draft capital should go against those teams not the sharks.

That being said kudos for putting in the work

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
My wife is actually Jewish, which apparently makes my daughter Jewish as well (I don't make the rules). But her family was never all that regular about going to temple and she hasn't been religious at all since I've known her, so it's really all about matzo ball soup and the good pastrami in this house.

Very bitter that there are no quality Jewish delis in the North Bay though. We get our fix when we visit her family in LA.
There used to be a couple of spots in the city with good Jewish deli but they are all gone it seems...

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
My thing about Buium is that he likes to play the hero and at 6'0" and he is going to get run over at the NHL level. We are all familiar with EK65 hero's run and how often he got run over by others and led to a lot of short-handed opportunities for the opposing team. Buium is no EK65, but they are both 6'0". EK65 is a superstar at offense. At defense , not so much. Buium doesn't have that great shot that EK65 has. So I don't think we should trade up to get him. If he is still at #14, Yes grab him, but keep this year #33 pick, don't trade up for Buium.
When it comes to offensive defensemen, I feel like there is a fine line between being the hero and being aggressive enough to force the defense to react. One thing I've not liked about the Sharks power play over the years is how conservative it has been and how little they've valued puck possession. I prefer a team that skates the puck into the offensive zone over a team that just dumps the puck into the offensive zone every time and relies on hoping that their forecheck is going to get the puck back a majority of the time. When I watch Buium, I see a guy who plays intelligently, but aggressively with the puck and skates really well. He doesn't have the booming shot that some other guys have, but honestly I think I value creative passing over the booming shot.

If he somehow fell out of the Top 10 into a range where I feel like the Sharks could trade up and get him, I'd absolutely do it. I don't think he'll drop that far and I don't think the Sharks have the bullets to get into that 5-9 range to pick the defensemen that I think are worth trading up for in that range.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Mrs Ski

Sep 25, 2008
The Process
Dumb question...who is MBN?

Saul's in Berkeley is good.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
The Hockey Writers have Minnesota taking Zeev Buium with #13 pick and Sharks taking Carter Yakemchuk with #14 pick. I don't know how to feel with Buium being so close in that scenario. Carter Yakemchuk is not a bad value at #14 since some scouts have him a lot higher.
If the draft starts going towards Silayev, Buium and Yakemchuk being available in that #12 spot, I can see MG calling up Philly for a trade and run away with Buium. Having Celebrini and Buium as two top prospects would make this rebuild a lot brighter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad