Confirmed with Link: Alex Tanguay new Assistant Coach

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yes, wrong Av. Thanks for the correction. I didn't get to see the Pittsburgh game, so that is promising.

Ill add that on Raymond's second pp assist the BJ players were so out of position that the Zamboni could have driven from Raymond to Larkin without being touched, so getting a puck through was no difficult task.
Yeah, but that doesn't happen if they're standing still like they did under Disco. Movement is what causes the opponent to get out of position. Granted it's much easier against CBJ's B team than an NHL team.

I'm not saying the PP is fixed by any means, but it certainly looks better.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Yeah, but that doesn't happen if they're standing still like they did under Disco. Movement is what causes the opponent to get out of position. Granted it's much easier against CBJ's B team than an NHL team.

I'm not saying the PP is fixed by any means, but it certainly looks better.
I never understood why they were so immobile on the PP under Bylsma. It is incomprehensible why you would choose that strategy.

Reactions: Gniwder

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Having a real PPQB in Leddy is going to help a ton too. I really like Hronek but he is better used as a shooter/ 2nd D option on the PP than as the QB. The Wings really haven't had a good PPQB since Lids, even Kronner was better suited in the rover role.

Hoping Leddy + Tanguay can get use closer to average. That'll be huge for our numbers and confidence of the younger guys.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Having a real PPQB in Leddy is going to help a ton too. I really like Hronek but he is better used as a shooter/ 2nd D option on the PP than as the QB. The Wings really haven't had a good PPQB since Lids, even Kronner was better suited in the rover role.

Hoping Leddy + Tanguay can get use closer to average. That'll be huge for our numbers and confidence of the younger guys.
Just getting to league average would have added about 0.3 goals per game last season, that's how abysmal the PP was. Makes a huge difference in one goal games.

Alex comes out looking like a genius if he gets us there. Keep in mind he's going to have an impact ES as well, and the inevitable 6 on 5 at the end of games.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Just getting to league average would have added about 0.3 goals per game last season, that's how abysmal the PP was. Makes a huge difference in one goal games.

Alex comes out looking like a genius if he gets us there. Keep in mind he's going to have an impact ES as well, and the inevitable 6 on 5 at the end of games.

Having a semi competent powerplay should also be a big lift number wise for guys like Bert, Larkin, Fabbri, Zadina, Ras etc. Our horrendous PP is really what has kept many of these guys numbers so low and has them not looking like real top 6ers. The 5 on5 offense has been meh but its not nearly as far behind as our PP numbers are in comparison to other top 6 options around the league over the past few seasons.

If the Wings get the goaltending and health I think they could surprise some people if their systems end up being better with the coaching change. We lack a superstar but I also think players are more skilled than DB allowed them to be with his system.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Detroit pre-season powerplay stats

18-19
G/60 11.59 (6th)
S/60 56.52 (5th)

19-20
G/60 5.99 (9th)
S/60 38.99 (27th)

20-21
G/60 NA
S/60 NA

21-22
G/60 10.6 (6th)
S/60 55.63 (14th)

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Detroit pre-season powerplay stats

18-19
G/60 11.59 (6th)
S/60 56.52 (5th)

19-20
G/60 5.99 (9th)
S/60 38.99 (27th)

20-21
G/60 NA
S/60 NA

21-22
G/60 10.6 (6th)
S/60 55.63 (14th)
Dang, it's hard to imagine how good we must have been last year, to not even have a ranking available!

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
This guy so far through the pre season has our offense looking very very good. Keep in mind tonight was basically against a full NHL team. You can tell the massive improvement just on the way we pass and cycle the puck. Did we hire any other new assistants recently?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This guy so far through the pre season has our offense looking very very good. Keep in mind tonight was basically against a full NHL team. You can tell the massive improvement just on the way we pass and cycle the puck. Did we hire any other new assistants recently?
Blais for player development, couple of Euro pro scouts, and a data analyst IIRC.

I'm sure the improvements are from Blais and Tanguay. Dude has a career 18.6 SH%, that's absolutely ridiculous. He knows how to score.

He also needs to see a dermatologist about his rosacea. Sucks to be on pills but quality of life is a lot better without the redness. Speaking from personal experience.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Looking like a great hire so far. Yzerman seems to knock it out of the park with nearly every move he makes. Tanguay is breathing life into the PP after many dull and anemic seasons. Of course actually having decent weapons is going to be a big help on its own. When full strength there's actually a half-decent group. Larkin, Raymond, Vrana, Bertuzzi, Fabbri, and Zadina for the forwards. Not to mention what Rasmussen could potentially offer in the right role. And Hronek, Leddy, Seider on D. Should get some good shows this season.

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I never understood why they were so immobile on the PP under Bylsma. It is incomprehensible why you would choose that strategy.

Especially since being immobile was OBVIOUS to everyone that it wasn't working. Long gone were the days of Lidstrom being able to thread a shot through to have Holmstrom tip the puck or someone else bang home the rebound. That style of powerplay is so archaic.

The changes aren't even that drastic in terms of adding movement. It's not like Larkin is out there doing laps around the zone trying to get open. Slight shifts open up passing lanes to the bumper spot, you can see Raymond thinks the game at a high level. He makes that pass to the defense and immediately starts moving to get to a spot to get it back and then attacks the net. I hope to see a couple more plays but this one seems to be working to say the least. Raymond at least seems smart enough to not force it when it's not there. This is my criticism of Zadina. I feel he's read into his own scouting report a bit much and feels he NEEDS to hammer that one timer when he gets it. It's too telegraphed and frankly I think Zadina is just trying to hit the net at this point which leads to him 'logo hunting' and hitting the goalie in the chest. I noticed last night he made an adjustment and held the puck and made a pass, he could even catch the pass and walk it in a bit for a snap/wrist shot. I hope this continues as it will help everyone on the team grow. It's all refreshing to say the least.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Looking like a great hire so far. Yzerman seems to knock it out of the park with nearly every move he makes. Tanguay is breathing life into the PP after many dull and anemic seasons. Of course actually having decent weapons is going to be a big help on its own. When full strength there's actually a half-decent group. Larkin, Raymond, Vrana, Bertuzzi, Fabbri, and Zadina for the forwards. Not to mention what Rasmussen could potentially offer in the right role. And Hronek, Leddy, Seider on D. Should get some good shows this season.

Don't forget Suter, he's been much better than I thought. The chemistry between him and Fabbri is obvious.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This is my criticism of Zadina. I feel he's read into his own scouting report a bit much and feels he NEEDS to hammer that one timer when he gets it. It's too telegraphed and frankly I think Zadina is just trying to hit the net at this point which leads to him 'logo hunting' and hitting the goalie in the chest.
Part of the problem with a stationary PP is that you never get an open shot, yet I'm willing to bet Disco told him to shoot whenever he gets the puck. Same thing with Hronek last season. Leads to a lot of blocked shots. Tanguay's system lets the players have way more options, shoot, pass, or carry the puck.

Disco should have been fired the previous season, but at the same time the delay allowed us to get Tanguay so I'm OK now. I was livid the previous season. I have said many times that the problem was more Disco than Blash, Blash isn't running the offense. He was a freakin goalie, he's delegating it. (Yes, I realize many head coaches run their own offense.)

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
The setup with Bobby Ryan behind the red line, or within a foot or so in front of the net, I think opens up a lot of options as well.

That 10 foot stick he uses is optimal close to the net :D

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Having a semi competent powerplay should also be a big lift number wise for guys like Bert, Larkin, Fabbri, Zadina, Ras etc. Our horrendous PP is really what has kept many of these guys numbers so low and has them not looking like real top 6ers. The 5 on5 offense has been meh but its not nearly as far behind as our PP numbers are in comparison to other top 6 options around the league over the past few seasons.

If the Wings get the goaltending and health I think they could surprise some people if their systems end up being better with the coaching change. We lack a superstar but I also think players are more skilled than DB allowed them to be with his system.
Totally agree. Lacking a superstar now but at least we MAY have a chance with Raymond pushing elite level status. Ive said it all along and ill say it again the Wings are gonna be super underated this year. Yesterdays game for instance. Hawks had alot if big guns including Fleury playing. Wings looked legit again with Fabbri, Larkin, Suter, Raymond, Leddy and Seider. They looked bad when it was Sebrango and company on the ice. Once we have a full NHL team iced again Bert, Staal, Vrana when he gets back and if Zadina can get going and with Tanguay running the PP they're a playoff team again. Seider and Leddy are 2 huge additions and Raymond is making everyone around him better already.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Well, after a nice start, the PP is back to below average @ 15.2%. Barely better than 2018-19 (14.8%).

This team is falling back to its level.
The good/bad thing is, there are 3 other teams that are going to be there with us: Ottawa, Buffalo and Montreal.

Buffalo and Detroit will sink.
Toronto and Boston will rise.

Detroit could finish closer to the playoffs than the basement because this division is weak.
Part of me wonders if now is the time to make a play for eichel.
If our first round pick is going to be 8-12th, maybe we should move it.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
That guy has scored 6 pre-season goals as net-front screener....
He has been used there sporadically and our point men never shoot the puck. Most one timers come from the circles. Despite the fact that situations have not been ideal for him, I've said a few times that I expect more from him as the pp net front guy he was billed to be.
Seider seems capable of getting shots through, but Ras is not on the same unit as Mo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad