Recalled/Assigned: Aittokallio recalled

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Wooooo!!

Colorado Avalanche ‏@Avalanche 2m

#Avs goaltender Sami Aittokallio (@Aittokallio74) will make his NHL debut tonight in Los Angeles against the Kings (8:30 MT, @AltitudeTV).

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

ImageHandler.ashx

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I'm hoping we lose a close game and that Sam plays well, without letting in any softies. That's all you can really ask for at this point.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
By my count, the Avalanche haven't started a "prospect" or young home-grown goalie since 2005-06, when Peter Budaj transitioned from the AHL to Colorado.

Tonight is a very rare thing for the franchise.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Hoping he does well.

I thought he looked pretty good during the WJC and at training camp 2 years ago.

And just out of curiosity - what number will he be wearing? 30?

Vincek40

Mar 21, 2007
Winnipeg
Ive been watching a few videos of this kid, just to get pumped about seeing him tonight, and maybe its just me but he looks huge. Much bigger then Varly in net.

ChrisNI

Sep 29, 2008
Orillia
Not that I'm against it but any reason we called up Aito over Picard?

I thought CP was higher on the depth chart

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Before he cramped up and left, he looked good. He had trouble with his rebound control in the first period, but I was impressed with his poise and mechanics. I'm not trying to compare him to a countryman on purpose, but his size and butterfly style reminded me a lot of Niklas Backstrom.

We'll see what happens over the next year, but I bet this guy will be at least a back-up somewhere in the NHL by the end of next season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Before he cramped up and left, he looked good. He had trouble with his rebound control in the first period, but I was impressed with his poise and mechanics. I'm not trying to compare him to a countryman on purpose, but his size and butterfly style reminded me a lot of Niklas Backstrom.

We'll see what happens over the next year, but I bet this guy will be at least a back-up somewhere in the NHL by the end of next season.

Actually really solid comparison, better than McNab's Abby one. :laugh:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Thats exactly who I thought of when I saw him.

landesberg

varlamov4ever
May 29, 2011
London, ON
First game impressions

+lateral movement
+poise
+tracked puck well

-glove high
-rebound control could be better
-not really an issue but could play puck better

Overall great performance for his first start ever. A little shaky at first but settled down and played a good confident game. Shame about the injury though.

The club should feel a little more confident in playing Aitto in the future.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Actually really solid comparison, better than McNab's Abby one. :laugh:

Yeah, no way McNab. Abby was a heavy butterfly goalie who reliant on the butterfly slide, especially when he was playing for Montreal. Aittokallio stays on his feet way more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad