Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I did, but I also thought at some point we would give a netfront guy netfront PP time. I am still confused why this isn’t messed with or attempted, he scored his last couple goals of the season on deflections. His pk is helpful but they have never really developed what I thought would be his major points contribution.

Danielson has a lot of potential because of his skating for me which is high end NHL caliber. As he gets stronger he could be a real problem for guys.
Well, to each their own. I had Rasmussen ranked in the late teens that year I am pretty sure.

Then again you had a way better read on Kakko than I did (and Zadina) :laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well, to each their own. I had Rasmussen ranked in the late teens that year I am pretty sure.

Then again you had a way better read on Kakko than I did (and Zadina) :laugh:
You always miss or hit on a few each year. A part of what makes it fun.

Ras really did give me Andreychuk vibes in junior, even Lee in Long Island. Needed to gain some skating, but he has actually done that. I really still wish they would try him on net front, he has gotten far better at retrievals as well in my opinion.

My problems with him is I also thought he would play in the 230 to 240 range. If he wants more offense he needs to become a bully.

One of the encouraging parts of Danielson is most of his foundation is really great, I was extremely high on him as well in his draft year. That one is trending better😂

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Ras really did give me Andreychuk vibes in junior, even Lee in Long Island. Needed to gain some skating, but he has actually done that. I really still wish they would try him on net front, he has gotten far better at retrievals as well in my opinion.

My problems with him is I also thought he would play in the 230 to 240 range. If he wants more offense he needs to become a bully.

One of the encouraging parts of Danielson is most of his foundation is really great, I was extremely high on him as well in his draft year. That one is trending better😂

He hasn't shown enough reflexes net front. He gathers in the puck facing towards the team, then tries to 180 his whole body, and the goalie is waiting for him every time.

Unless the team changes that role to a screen, Raz won't do well. This PP is more about setting up for backdoor plays and snipes.

Reactions: heyfolks

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Didn't you say the same about Rasmussen?

I was definitely a Rasmussen fan in junior and remember arguing he showed underrated skill especially around the net. Lets not forget he scored more than 2 points per game in the playoffs at that level. Shit, Rasmussen's production in 14 WHL playoff games was more than this years WHL Playoff leading scorer produced in 31 games. I expected Ras to be able to use his frame to impose his will mixed with underrated skill at the NHL level. At times we see flashes of it but he hasn't lived up to those flashes. That fact that he couldn't live up to it doesn't mean that ceiling never existed though.

At any rate him and Danielson are very different players. He's not just a fast skater but a powerful skater with excellent hands that can go through you as easily as he can go around you. I said it last summer but Danielson shows flashes of Mackinnon in his game.

Pair that with an excellent ability (and commitment) to playing both sides and I don't know how anyone can contest his ceiling as one of the highest available especially at 9.

Its a lofty comparison that neither player is likely to live up to but for the sake of discussion let accept the following comp. at face value: If Benson is to Marner as Danielson is to Bergeron, which player really has the higher ceiling? Point being that there is more to a ceiling than just points. Physicality and defense (or lack thereof) are part of any players ceiling.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was definitely a Rasmussen fan in junior and remember arguing he showed underrated skill especially around the net. Lets not forget he scored more than 2 points per game in the playoffs at that level. Shit, Rasmussen's production in 14 WHL playoff games was more than this years WHL Playoff leading scorer produced in 31 games. I expected Ras to be able to use his frame to impose his will mixed with underrated skill at the NHL level. At times we see flashes of it but he hasn't lived up to those flashes. That fact that he couldn't live up to it doesn't mean that ceiling never existed though.

At any rate him and Danielson are very different players. He's not just a fast skater but a powerful skater with excellent hands that can go through you as easily as he can go around you. I said it last summer but Danielson shows flashes of Mackinnon in his game.

Pair that with an excellent ability (and commitment) to playing both sides and I don't know how anyone can contest his ceiling as one of the highest available especially at 9.

Its a lofty comparison that neither player is likely to live up to but for the sake of discussion let accept the following comp. at face value: If Benson is to Marner as Danielson is to O'Reilly which player really has the higher ceiling? Point being that there is more to a ceiling than just points. Physicality and defense (or lack thereof) are part of any players ceiling.

I don't really need to be sold too much on Danielson, I just never saw it with Rasmussen, and I'm just poking fun.

Although I do think that is a pretty bold comment on Danielson relative to that draft class. I thought really highly of guys like Perreault and Dvorsky who I thought had really strong +1 seasons. That was a good forward draft last year, I wish we would have loaded up on the position a bit more than we did.

Will be interesting to see how they all do as pros. I always thought Danielson had an underrated skill component to his game, still do, but then I think what sets him apart is he has better physical gifts than a lof of these other forwards. That combo could lead to him exceeding expectations for where he was picked. Honestly could mirror what we saw with Larkin in a lot of ways.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don't really need to be sold too much on Danielson, I just never saw it with Rasmussen, and I'm just poking fun.

Although I do think that is a pretty bold comment on Danielson relative to that draft class. I thought really highly of guys like Perreault and Dvorsky who I thought had really strong +1 seasons. That was a good forward draft last year, I wish we would have loaded up on the position a bit more than we did.

Will be interesting to see how they all do as pros. I always thought Danielson had an underrated skill component to his game, still do, but then I think what sets him apart is he has better physical gifts than a lof of these other forwards. That combo could lead to him exceeding expectations for where he was picked. Honestly could mirror what we saw with Larkin in a lot of ways.

:cheers: To continuing to revisiting these things! It’s definitely part of the fun.

I liked Perrault quite a bit. I wanted him with that ASP pick (though I’m happy with ASP as well).

I was less keen on Dvosrky but he had a great year once he jumped over to the OHL. (On a bit of a tangent, I really like Musty’s skill on that wolves team)

Reactions: Frk It

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Its a lofty comparison that neither player is likely to live up to but for the sake of discussion let accept the following comp. at face value: If Benson is to Marner as Danielson is to Bergeron, which player really has the higher ceiling? Point being that there is more to a ceiling than just points. Physicality and defense (or lack thereof) are part of any players ceiling.

whenever I see people say things like this it makes me genuinely wonder if they even know who Zach Benson is

he's a Winger which does limit Defensive ceiling a bit but his Defense is a big part of why he stayed in the NHL all year even just this year in his D+1

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006

I would not say that - he was unplayable in SHL due to his lack of footspeed and basically had to go several steps back in his development. Sure he put up a lot of points in Juniors, but to me this isn't equal to having a great season. It is funny how people (not necessary you) are complaining about Kasper and gushing about Dvorsky, despite Kasper having much better D+1 season

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would not say that - he was unplayable in SHL due to his lack of footspeed and basically had to go several steps back in his development. Sure he put up a lot of points in Juniors, but to me this isn't equal to having a great season. It is funny how people (not necessary you) are complaining about Kasper and gushing about Dvorsky, despite Kasper having much better D+1 season
I mean the OHL is a more appropriate place for Dvorsky to play and he did extremely well there.

Kind of a weird take on his season, IMO. Lucas Raymond didn't do much in the SHL in his +1 season, didn't make him less of a prospect.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I mean the OHL is a more appropriate place for Dvorsky to play and he did extremely well there.

Kind of a weird take on his season, IMO. Lucas Raymond didn't do much in the SHL in his +1 season, didn't make him less of a prospect.

Raymond had 18 points in 34 games in the SHL.

Dvorsky had 0 points in 10 games and literally couldn't make it in the league.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
whenever I see people say things like this it makes me genuinely wonder if they even know who Zach Benson is

he's a Winger which does limit Defensive ceiling a bit but his Defense is a big part of why he stayed in the NHL all year even just this year in his D+1
You completely missed the point.

The comp was acknowledged as a stretch/exaggeration to illustrate the point that two way play and physicality are part of what defines a players ceiling. By no means was that intended to be a perfect projection of their games.

Benson has a well rounded game but his defense is not at Danielson's level.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006

My take is weird is only if you are only counting points. Raymond could play as 18 year old in SHL, on a team that was the league in the previous year he could be trusted. Dvorsky could not keep up, his ice time was minimal. To say Raymond did not do much only showing that you don't understand a context of SHL and only interested in counting points.

Dvorsky played in mens league in his draft year, in much tougher environment. OHL is lower level of competition than Allsvenskan, and his point total shows that he was not challenged that much.

Reactions: schuelma24

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My take is weird is only if you are only counting points. Raymond could play as 18 year old in SHL, on a team that was the league in the previous year he could be trusted. Dvorsky could not keep up, his ice time was minimal. To say Raymond did not do much only showing that you don't understand a context of SHL and only interested in counting points.

Dvorsky played in mens league in his draft year, in much tougher environment. OHL is lower level of competition than Allsvenskan, and his point total shows that he was not challenged that much.
The SHL doesn't care about carving out a role for an 18 year old. How many times have seen really good prospects not get roles in the SHL/KHL? There's a million things that go into that, and it's not always done fairly or equitably.

I would rather have my prospect play 20 minutes a night in the CHL than 9-12 minutes in the SHL.

Dvorsky has looked good every time he has played against people his age. Even when he is playing the best possible talent at his age.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
The SHL doesn't care about carving out a role for an 18 year old. How many times have seen really good prospects not get roles in the SHL/KHL? There's a million things that go into that, and it's not always done fairly or equitably.

I would rather have my prospect play 20 minutes a night in the CHL than 9-12 minutes in the SHL.

Dvorsky has looked good every time he has played against people his age. Even when he is playing the best possible talent at his age.

Well, it is up to prospects to carve out a role for himself, Raymond managed to do so, Kasper as well. (And KHL is completely different animal, where there are a lot different reason why somebody playing or not playing, which cannot be influenced by prospect). Dvorski didn't even managed to get 9-12 minutes, he was unplayable. Main critisism before draft - his skating - not only it was not addressed, the issue was confirmed. Putting up gazillion points in Juniors won't solve it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well, it is up to prospects to carve out a role for himself, Raymond managed to do so, Kasper as well. (And KHL is completely different animal, where there are a lot different reason why somebody playing or not playing, which cannot be influenced by prospect). Dvorski didn't even managed to get 9-12 minutes, he was unplayable. Main critisism before draft - his skating - not only it was not addressed, the issue was confirmed. Putting up gazillion points in Juniors won't solve it.
If you want to think SHL coaches decision making is infallible and not factoring in a bunch of other stuff, you go for it.

Look at what Raymond did for Frolunda in 20/21 and then what he did for us in 21/22. Were they correctly evaluating what he was capable of and giving him the right amount of opportunity?

Fact is that Dvorsky played well at the WJC and then had a strong season in the OHL. Will his skating hold him back as a prospect? I personally don't think so. But we will see. I find everything else about his game to be plus level. If he was smaller I think it could be an issue but he's not.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I really don't know why he hasn't bulked up at all. It's not like he doesn't have the frame for it.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
:cheers: To continuing to revisiting these things! It’s definitely part of the fun.
100%
I liked Perrault quite a bit. I wanted him with that ASP pick (though I’m happy with ASP as well).
Same and same
I was less keen on Dvosrky but he had a great year once he jumped over to the OHL. (On a bit of a tangent, I really like Musty’s skill on that wolves team)
Will be very interested to see how Musty does at the pro level. Definitely would have taken that gamble at that point where he got picked. But I would not be surprised if he was a guy Yzerman just wouldn’t be a fan of either.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
He hasn't shown enough reflexes net front. He gathers in the puck facing towards the team, then tries to 180 his whole body, and the goalie is waiting for him every time.

Unless the team changes that role to a screen, Raz won't do well. This PP is more about setting up for backdoor plays and snipes.

100% THIS! I scream at the TV as he does this near every time he has the puck. Along the boards, I don't think the guy can make a move until some bodies up on him. Not a fan of his play. For all of Mickey's talk this guy is soft as summer butter at a picnic, does not use his size to his advantage and has no high end offensive skills.

Reactions: sepster and Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
100% THIS! I scream at the TV as he does this near every time he has the puck. Along the boards, I don't think the guy can make a move until some bodies up on him. Not a fan of his play. For all of Mickey's talk this guy is soft as summer butter at a picnic, does not use his size to his advantage and has no high end offensive skills.

He has Zadina syndrome, he figures if he tries the same exact play every time then eventually it will work. The difference between the 2 is that Zadina would try to headfake harder while Raz puts on a bigger scowl.

Obviously a few other differences, but they both try the same play way too many times. YOU HAVE ALL SUMMER TO COME UP WITH A DIFFERENT PLAY! Let's try something different, heh?

Edit: This thread is now about Raz

Last edited:

Carmine Cirella

Jun 29, 2023
If you want to think SHL coaches decision making is infallible and not factoring in a bunch of other stuff, you go for it.

Look at what Raymond did for Frolunda in 20/21 and then what he did for us in 21/22. Were they correctly evaluating what he was capable of and giving him the right amount of opportunity?

Fact is that Dvorsky played well at the WJC and then had a strong season in the OHL. Will his skating hold him back as a prospect? I personally don't think so. But we will see. I find everything else about his game to be plus level. If he was smaller I think it could be an issue but he's not.
It seems to me Dvorsky's game doesn't scale up (at least so far), he's dominating against lower competition, but has difficulties the moment the games become tighter, more competitive:

- compare his regular season to his playoff numbers (last year in Sweden and this year in the OHL)
- in the WJC he scored 4 of his 6 points against Norway
- and, as already mentioned, he simply couldn't do anything in the SHL this year

Doesn't mean that can't change in the future, he's also still very young (even compared to someone in his same draft class as Danielson). But right now, I'd say that's at least somewhat concerning.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
If Danielson is heading to Grand Rapids for the remainder of the playoffs, I would expect an announcement sometime today. I don't think he would be out of place centering the second line.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Dvorsky was brutal in the SHL tbh, didn’t look anywhere near prepared for that level of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad