Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
If we trade Rantanen, my only hope is that we are able to pull off a Huberdeau type trade. Target someone a few years younger with a trajectory on the rise. Brady would be pretty interesting but would leave us very thin at RW.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Given how Avs players have reacted and the swiftness with which Nichushkin's name bar was removed from both Ball Arena and the practice facility. I'd say odds are quite high the org moves on this Summer. No way the players welcome him back into that room after he let them down three times now.
Two separate things here. Are the Avs as a team and as an organization done with Val? Most likely yes. Are they able to "move on from him" during the Summer? I doubt it. I think his contract is frozen until he comes back. Now if something happens between now and November, that give the Avs the opportunity to terminate the deal? Then it's another discussion. But if we are talking about a trade (yes, I think there are teams interested), it will have to wait until Nuke is about to be reinstated.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Two separate things here. Are the Avs as a team and as an organization done with Val? Most likely yes. Are they able to "move on from him" during the Summer? I doubt it. I think his contract is frozen until he comes back. Now if something happens between now and November, that give the Avs the opportunity to terminate the deal? Then it's another discussion. But if we are talking about a trade (yes, I think there are teams interested), it will have to wait until Nuke is about to be reinstated.
Teams will not be interested in Val at his cap hit, not even at 50% retained.

Now, Val at something like league minium up to 1 or 1.5M on a 1 year deal (to show that he can "remain committed")? Yeah, he'll have suitors.

The only way the Avs get out of this is with termination.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
If the GM of this team is watching and thinking this course is fine to continue on I will be taking a massive step back from following and financially supporting this team. Major roster overhauls are required (Rants, Nuke, and Georgiev are who I would be moving out - tho AG hasn't been the problem in playoffs he's just not good enough to win with this roster). Simply making playoffs and bowing out in the first round for the next 3-5 years while deploying two of the best players in the world is not acceptable.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Teams will not be interested in Val at his cap hit, not even at 50% retained.

Now, Val at something like league minium up to 1 or 1.5M on a 1 year deal (to show that he can "remain committed")? Yeah, he'll have suitors.

The only way the Avs get out of this is with termination.
I respectfully disagree, but that's all right. All of this is obviously based on the assumption that we basically hear from Nuke next time in November, after he has successfully completed the program. We are talking about the best power forward in the league, a known playoff performer and his cap hit is absolutely great for his on ice performance. Arguably one of the best contracts in the league.

Would a contending team risk it? Maybe not. But a rebuilding team, that is going to just aim for the playoffs? I would take that chance. Especially knowing, that the next time would absolutely be the last time. A year ban without even the assurance that he would be reinstituted, so at that point you are probably able to terminate the deal.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Since we are on the speculation wagon without much to go on:

Val could just choose the party life and decide to abandon the Avs for the KHL.
Avs would then have that out for the league accountants and could still send him some cash on his birthday and stuff.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Does anyone here truly believe that Nuke WANTS to get better?

His history tells me no.

So unless he has an epiphany moment that has changed his outlook on life and is totally committed to change, he's likely looking to getting thru what ever is thrown at him by the Assistance Program and go back to being Val.

Hell, his marriage and the birth of his daughter didn't deter him from dabbling once more. I think this is who he is and short of a Jesus conversion moment a la Jeb Magruder, it's who he will remain to be.

So color me skeptical about a committed wholesale conversion/rehabilitation.

Now, I'll really go off the rails......... (this is really neanderthal and I'm NOT advocating for this.....) but If the stories are to be believed, substance abuse on Nuke's level used to co-exist semi-covertly back in the 70's and 80's NHL eras. (Maybe even the 90's). The Bruins had a number of known alcoholics on their 70's teams. The 80's Oilers purportedly used to indulge in the white powders. Etc..

And they played hockey and won championships.

Nuke's attitude probably has been...."So, what's the big deal?"

Whoosh..... duck.........incoming return fire........ lol!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

His history tells me no.

So unless he has an epiphany moment that has changed his outlook on life and is totally committed to change, he's likely looking to getting thru what ever is thrown at him by the Assistance Program and go back to being Val.

Hell, his marriage and the birth of his daughter didn't deter him from dabbling once more. I think this is who he is and short of a Jesus conversion moment a la Jeb Magruder, it's who he will remain to be.

Now, I'll really go off the rails......... (this is really neanderthal and I'm NOT advocating for this.....) but If the stories are to be believed, substance abuse on Nuke's level used to co-exist semi-covertly back in the 70's and 80's NHL eras. (Maybe even the 90's). The Bruins had a number of known alcoholics on their 70's teams. The 80's Oilers purportedly used to indulge in the white powders. Etc..

This is likely the Avs' opinion too... that pesky doctor that called 911 just ruined it for everyone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
What year is it?!

bf3f6fac-b12e-4c69-aca1-c670844f069a_text.gif

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

His history tells me no.

I mean hes been on coke fueled point per game rampage all season you have to admit it's kinda working out for him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

His history tells me no.

It should be noted that it's a similar environment to that of rock stars and Hollywood--drugs are plentiful and easy to access, money is almost never an issue, and there's little oversight or accountability. It's easy enough to relapse under normal circumstances, but in a world where Toradol and cocaine are there in big gobs for the taking...well...I for one hope Henchy is right and the Avs' team doctor is extraordinarily conservative with the painkillers he distributes. We know that ain't the case everywhere.

I honestly have no idea how much of a desire Nuke has to stay clean. It's impossible for any of us to judge definitively. I think it's perfectly reasonable to question that resolve under the current circumstances. But as I stated before, recovery is not a linear process. What irks me to no end is that BOTH of the incidents took place on a game day. Personally, I think there is a desire for him to save his own life and career...I don't think he's Jere Karalahti who simply DGAF (cannot believe THAT dude is still alive, he'd give Pete Doherty a run for his money).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad