Speculation: 2024 Off-season Discussion

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
The RFA I would try to go after would be Thomas Harley. Stars will have cap issues. If we offer Soda and a couple of seconds? Soda can be signed for cheap and could really blossom in Dallas. We get sadly a lefty but can be a great number 2 d man. Would be a minute muncher, pk and pp.

Reactions: Summer Rose

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The RFA I would try to go after would be Thomas Harley. Stars will have cap issues. If we offer Soda and a couple of seconds? Soda can be signed for cheap and could really blossom in Dallas. We get sadly a lefty but can be a great number 2 d man. Would be a minute muncher, pk and pp.
I'm pretty sure Stars fans would ask you to go pound sand with that offer.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think Keller has been far more engaged the past two seasons. I think it's one of the biggest reasons he is more productive under Tourigny. He now shows a willingness to go to the inside and make plays. He will battle. He's not Matthew Tkachuk, but he's not Mitch Marner either.
I would say it' more about confidence and experience than guts. But whatever you want to call it, Keller has turned into a great player. Not sure if he is as good as Marner though. I'm happy with Keller.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I would say it' more about confidence and experience than guts. But whatever you want to call it, Keller has turned into a great player. Not sure if he is as good as Marner though. I'm happy with Keller.
Marner had 9 points more than Keller this year for an additional ~$3.8m. Who knows how many points Marner has resulting from playing with AM & Willie. Keller is the better value without a doubt, is arguably a better player and is indisputably more likable.

I agree but I believe Dallas will have to do something stupid this summer.

Would love to benefit from it.
Cap going up will cover Harley.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I think free agency could be a tough sell for the first offseason in Utah. No players have ever been there. At least with Arizona, despite all the issues, the players had a basis of the city/state, what it would be like to live there, the facilities at GRA/Mullett, etc. I could see us needing to go more the trade route in order to get our improvements this offseason.

I don't like Marner's play at all. No intensity.
It will be interesting to see what free agents want to come

I am not sure what hotels NHL teams stay at, but I heard a podcast today where they talked about what the players told RS that they wanted

1) was they wanted more support for their wives and families and wanted them to be treated better

2) they wanted to stay at better hotels

RS said done to both.. he said they will stay at the same hotels the Jazz stays at.

In the NBA part of the agreement is that teams stay at 5 star hotels.. so the Yotes will now get that..

Since hotels are supposedly not part of the CBA, I am not sure if NHL teams usually stay 5 star or not.

But that could be something that does attract free agents

I also think the welcome to Utah was likely watched by other players and could have favorable results

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Be interesting to see what UFA's be wanting for salary and if this team will spend closer to the cap! I also think they could even gain advantage on teams who are tight on cap in trades at or after draft. Hoping they get green light to spend closer to cap and it means not only UFA's but possibly green light to trade some draft picks to make this team competitive. Goaltending is already solved but big improvements be on defense and if they can land a 1st line center. My list would include 2 defensemen who can play 1st line or 2nd line and starting 1st line center through UFA's or combo with trading. The defense is pretty much wide open and could go many different ways.

Last edited:

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
It will be interesting to see what free agents want to come

I am not sure what hotels NHL teams stay at, but I heard a podcast today where they talked about what the players told RS that they wanted

1) was they wanted more support for their wives and families and wanted them to be treated better

2) they wanted to stay at better hotels

RS said done to both.. he said they will stay at the same hotels the Jazz stays at.

In the NBA part of the agreement is that teams stay at 5 star hotels.. so the Yotes will now get that..

Since hotels are supposedly not part of the CBA, I am not sure if NHL teams usually stay 5 star or not.

But that could be something that does attract free agents

I also think the welcome to Utah was likely watched by other players and could have favorable results
Treating family and wives well seems like such an easy play.

Also forgot Benn coming off Dallas books too.
Benn is signed through 24-25 but Pavelski, Duchene are UFA. Only so many slots for all their forwards so you would have to think one or both of those go.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Around the 8min mark GMBA states he wants between 80 and 85 points next season. Won’t rush the process. Needs to grow organically. You can speed the process up a bit but at the end of the day, you can’t make Logan Cooley 25 years old in time for next season. It’s a slow process.

He says you even have to be careful in free agency. That when you sign these guys they’re 29 years old and they want seven year deals. And when you core of the team you drafted are ready to be good, then these same guys you signed are the one stopping you.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Says the key is to make the smart little moves you can make when they become available over the course of seasons. Like a 2nd for McBain and a 2nd for Durzi. Those moves help the team grow in the right way but don’t stop you in the future when you really need that money to complete your team. You have to careful with free agency. You have to be smart with it. If you get carried away, it leads you down a path to nowhere.

Reiterates that the only way to add those championship caliber defensemen is really just through the draft, and not really through trades and not through free agency.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Marner had 9 points more than Keller this year for an additional ~$3.8m. Who knows how many points Marner has resulting from playing with AM & Willie. Keller is the better value without a doubt, is arguably a better player and is indisputably more likable.

Cap going up will cover Harley.
Marner also played 9 less games. Marner is a 1.10 PPG player, Keller is .80PPG. There of course other factors, but just talking which player is better today I think anyone would be hard pressed to say Keller is better. Value wise I agree Keller wins out.

Reactions: DustyDangler

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Marner also played 9 less games. Marner is a 1.10 PPG player, Keller is .80PPG. There of course other factors, but just talking which player is better today I think anyone would be hard pressed to say Keller is better. Value wise I agree Keller wins out.
Why would we deal Keller instead of Schmaltz?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I would hope 80-85 is a low bar because that's barely an uptick from this year. There is no reason that with two component additions on D we shouldn't be competing for a playoff spot.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Here's hoping Stamkos gets invited to the World Championship and:

1. Gets to play alongside some other Utah players
2. Tourigny gets time to sell him on what he and BA are building
3. Stays near his phone July 1 when an offer comes in from Utah in UFA

I know this doesn't jive with BA's comments above re: free agency, BUT hopefully there is a space there where the value of Stamkos on a short-term deal is realized.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Here's hoping Stamkos gets invited to the World Championship and:

1. Gets to play alongside some other Utah players
2. Tourigny gets time to sell him on what he and BA are building
3. Stays near his phone July 1 when an offer comes in from Utah in UFA

I know this doesn't jive with BA's comments above re: free agency, BUT hopefully there is a space there where the value of Stamkos on a short-term deal is realized.
That sounds like a good way to lose some picks for tampering.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ehh it's not directly "Hey Steven, this is why Utah is so great and why you'd love it", but more so an opportunity for him to be around Tourigny (and some of the Utah players) on a daily basis and learn about each other, philosophies, etc.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Very encouraging to hear BA sticking with the "pro-cess". I imagine if Smith wanted otherwise that would already have been communicated but you never know. I think next year we end in that 8-12 range and then the next make or just miss the playoffs. Then the following 5-10 years they will be competitors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad