Votes: 55 15.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 18 5.2%

• Total voters

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Well I’m looking forward to seeing an elite third pairing of Guhle and Mailloux trying to set up Sean Farrell and Florian Xhekaj. That should really propel the team.
I think you're wrong. Guhle will be the 7th d-man and Mailloux will be in the press box. You forget there are more future drafts where we can really, really, really solidify our defence.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
FWIW, there's a non zero chance Lindstrom isn't a center at the next level, he could very well go the Byfield route. You have to pick him with that scenario as a possibility in mind. If you think he has just as much value as a power winger, then he becomes even more attractive as a prospect. If you don't, then you might be better off looking for a true center.

Last edited:

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
That's only assuming if you think Lindstrom is a monster center and becomes a top 2C. I think there is a size drool with Lindstrom. It may appear so but this is not a Byfied type pick bud. I don't even think Lindstrom is a center in the NHL.

BPA from 2-10? Come on man. List to Bob M. He said he has not seen this in 35 years of doing draft rankings. It's all over the map from 2-10+.

Iggy would not be a "need" pick IMO. At 5, I would consider him the BPA. He's a play making winger that has some ability to play center and his shot is elite. Great size/weight

Why do you think Bob said he has never seen this in 35 years? Because there are no clear cut between prospect and teams will probably go for needs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why do you think Bob said he has never seen this in 35 years? Because there are no clear cut between prospect and teams will probably go for needs.

Teams will look at Needs and also BPA. It's OK to draft for Need if you actually pick someone who reaches their ceiling. The main point here is I do not think Lindstrom is a undisputed top 5 pick. I have him 6-10 range. Between Lindstrom and Sennecke, I'd have a hard time deciding between the two but I'd give the edge to Sennecke. Iggy and Demidov are ahead of both of them.

Lindstrom is not a true type center. Here is my breakdown on him.

1) Great shot. One of the better shooters in this draft. Celebrini, Iggy, Lindstrom, Sennecke, Eiserman.

2) Skating is very good for a guy his size. Edge work is good cutting around guys.

3) Not soft. Got a nasty side to this game.

4) Not a center in the NHL. More like a power winger.

5) I question his skill upside at the NHL level. He reminds me of a more fancier version of Anderson. I don't think his vision/play making is good. He's a north/south type player and shooter.

6) How does he look after he turns pro and faces more guys with his size/skating? Does he drown or battle through it and overcome it? Difficult to know. My gut tells me, he struggles with less time/space and against guys that can actually play D.

I think he is a cheaper version of Byfield. Byfield is not even a full time center yet either. Yup, I think his range is somewhere between Byfield and J Anderson.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
In all my years on HFBoards, I don't remember this forum ever being this split in terms of who they prefer to draft. Yes, there's always been a few players that most of us wanted, but if you look at this draft, there are about 8 or 9 players who veteran posters seem to have as their favourite. It's nuts.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
I love Dickinson, I've had him rated as my top D for most of the year until recently.

But I don't see him as a massive upgrade on Guhle who fits the timeline better. When you're picking top 5 and how quickly top 10 prospects make an impact these days, you have to look at what brings the overall biggest impact and improvement to your roster and I can't get an evaluation on Dickinson where he's a sure thing better than Guhle and the dimensions are practically the same.

Great player, wrong fit.

Yessir, I agree. Well said.

It’s a bad crossroads of where we pick, and no doubt a bit of a fixation on my part. I try to look forward to the draft, not chase reasons to cuss.

But if SD becomes a Senator, I will be bummed out.

And IMO, we need a guy just like him in the D mix.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
FWIW, there's a non zero chance Lindstrom isn't a center at the next level, he could very well go the Byfield route. You have to pick him with that scenario as a possibility in mind. If you think he has just as much value as a power winger, then he becomes even more attractive as a prospect. If you don't, then you might be better off looking for a true center.

I'd target the true center type with the Jets pick (if there are no trades). Don't reach but if there is a center on the board and we like him, take the center 24-27 range.

Lindstrom is a risky pick. I have him somewhere between J Anderson and Byfield. I just don't think he is as good as Byfield was in the CHL.

The base with Lindstrom for me is Anderson. The base for Iggy with me is Newhook. I think Iggy has a higher base and has a better all around game. I think the growth you see with Iggy at age 18-20 range is going to be enormous. How much growth do you think Lindstrom has from age 18-20?

Lindstrom ceiling is Byfield (-). Iggy's ceiling is Kaprisov/F Forsberg.

Remember, it's not about who they are today. It's about who they will be at age 20+

Last edited:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

It’s a bad crossroads of where we pick, and no doubt a bit of a fixation on my part. I try to look forward to the draft, not chase reasons to cuss.

We do in Guhle, even Arber to a lesser extent or are you saying we need another because while I agree with that, it's just difficult to pass on a forward that could potentially help solidify our top 6. Defense wins championships, always has, always will but we need some forwards at this moment in our rebuild in a desperate way.

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In all my years on HFBoards, I don't remember this forum ever being this split in terms of who they prefer to draft. Yes, there's always been a few players that most of us wanted, but if you look at this draft, there are about 8 or 9 players who veteran posters seem to have as their favourite. It's nuts.

I do think there is also a trend of fans not willing to follow the "typical" rankings seen on the internet. BPA/Need has been a touchy conversation for years and in this draft, the BPA lists from 2-10 is just too wide spread.

Lets be happy that we are not making the pick. I like Iggy a lot but if the Habs pick Lindstrom, I'll trust them. They would have more information.

Reactions: Naslund

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Iggy is Newhook with a brain. Lindstrom shouldn't be mentioned alongside power donkey.

Show me a better base comparison for Lindstrom? J Anderson may not be a good pick. Who else can we find?

I don't think his vision/play making is good at all. He does a lot of stuff on his own and I question how that translates at the NHL level. Shot is great and compete level is great. Skating for his size is also great.

Reactions: crosbyshow

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
We do in Guhle, even Arber to a lesser extent or are you saying we need another because while I agree with that, it's just difficult to pass on a forward that could potentially help solidify our top 6. Defense wins championships, always has, always will but we need some forwards at this moment in our rebuild in a desperate way.

Your summation of where I’m at is pretty good.

And as I said a couple or three posts ago, I recognize the need on O…it’s long-standing and nagging.

Just one of those things.

Reactions: Deebs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think there is a very good chance that a D gets taken 2, 3, 4. Silayev, Levshunov, Dickinson, Buium, Parekh.

Parekh is a guy I can see the Sens in on. Don't see him going top 5.

You know what will bum me out? Habs pass on Iggy, Sens take him and we have Tkachuk round 2.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
(Celebrini)
Demidov
Lindstrom
Iginla
Sennecke
Catton

This draft would be a fabulous success if the Habs come away with any two of these players. Obviously, the Winnipeg pick needs to move up in a trade.

Agreed. I have no problem taking a forward over the D. BPA is just a massive guess from 2-10. Lots to like with the D that might be available yes but some of those forwards are just as impressive.

The main goal here is to hit with whoever we pick. Take the player with the highest base and highest ceiling combo. That has Iggy written all over it IMO.

I think there is a real chance that 3 D get taken 2-4 range. Then we have a dilemma... Demidov or Iggy. I'd support the Iggy pick but man... the back of my mind wonders. We pass on both Michkov and Demidov.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Show me a better base comparison for Lindstrom? J Anderson may not be a good pick. Who else can we find?

I don't think his vision/play making is good at all. He does a lot of stuff on his own and I question how that translates at the NHL level. Shot is great and compete level is great. Skating for his size is also great.

Dylan Cozens. He was a hard lesson for me, because I saw him make all kinds of questionable decisions I thought he would bust. Hockey IQ is important, but not so important that average or below average can ruin that kind of size/skill/skating combo. You have to be a complete moron to not make it with that much physical skill going for you. Even power donkey made it. Timothy Liljegren is an NHLer.

And Cayden Lindstrom is at least average, IMO. I haven't seen the WTF moments that I saw from other players, but people act like if a guy isn't Suzuki or Aho that they have hockey IQ concerns.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

I can't remember what show I was watching but the scout talking about Lindy and how he compares to others coming into the league brought up Jeff Carter.
A big, fast, physically gifted shoot first Center.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007

Prime version of Jamie Benn but as a centerman.

Big, physical, goal scorer centerman that can take over a game or a series. I don’t buy the Byfield comp. Byfield is more of a finess player in a big powerforward body. Lindstrom is all about power in his game ala Benn.

Reactions: Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Big, physical, goal scorer centerman that can take over a game or a series. I don’t buy the Byfield comp. Byfield is more of a finess player in a big powerforward body. Lindstrom is all about power in his game ala Benn.
Doesn't play anything like Benn. Aside from being big and physical.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I would have picked J Leclair

I honestly don't think Lindstrom is a center at the NHL level.

The first test will be the world juniors and how team Canada uses Lindstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad