NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I really hope that Staios' "connections to the OHL" aren't a disproportionate factor in who the team selects.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Does Parekh even have conversations about being in the top 10 if was left-handed? Buium seems better than him in every way except for handedness.

Again, I'm wary of picking a such a high-risk/high-reward player when we haven't had a 1st rounder in ages (and will lose one in the next two years).
Even if he was LD, he scored an absurd amount of points and controlled Saginaw's offense when he was on the ice, even with studs like Misa on the ice. He was 8th in OHL scoring

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Does Parekh even have conversations about being in the top 10 if was left-handed? Buium seems better than him in every way except for handedness.

Again, I'm wary of picking a such a high-risk/high-reward player when we haven't had a 1st rounder in ages (and will lose one in the next two years).
Ranking would be the same, give or take

He's ranked so high because he unquestionable has the highest ceiling of all the D, he also carries the most risk. I don't think he should be looked at by the Sens either, but the hand players shoot aren't going to affect NHL teams draft rankings the way it does on here.

Reactions: GCK

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The guy just put up 96 pts as a 17 yr old, that hasn't happened in the OHL since the 89/90 season. It's been over a decade since Ellis put up 89 pts and he was very undersized and went 11th.

Reactions: DrEasy

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The guy just put up 96 pts as a 17 yr old, that hasn't happened in the OHL since the 89/90 season. It's been over a decade since Ellis put up 89 pts and he was very undersized and went 11th.
Fair enough. Buium also had an insane freshman season in college statistically and by most accounts is better defensively and at least as good of a skater as Parekh, also bigger. He seems to be just outside the top 8-10 on a lot of rankings, what's the knock on him?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Fair enough. Buium also had an insane freshman season in college and by most accounts is better defensively and at least as good of a skater as Parekh, also bigger. He seems to be just outside the top 8-10 on a lot of rankings, what's the knock om him?
I think they're viewed about the same on more recent lists. Both are listed at 6' and 181-183, so I don't think he's any bigger.

Personally, I like Buium better but I think Parekh has higher offensive upside, though I'm by no means an expert.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I certainly hope they don’t like Sennecke at 7, lol.

He's a big riser and a very raw prospect.

Reminds me of Batherson. You can tell watching him he used to be a small skill guy but after a big growth spurt he's now 6'3 and can use his size, skill or smarts to score. Has a similar skillset but skates better than Drake.

Just scratching the surface of what he can become. His numbers jumped significantly to finish the year and he's had a great playoffs.

Definitely projects as a top 6 forward, which should put him in the same tier as a lot of guys that could go around our pick.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Fair enough. Buium also had an insane freshman season in college statistically and by most accounts is better defensively and at least as good of a skater as Parekh, also bigger. He seems to be just outside the top 8-10 on a lot of rankings, what's the knock on him?

The numbers may be a bit misleading in this case.

Not trying to knock Buium but he was passing to two of the best college players in the nation this year in Rizzo and Devine, which helped his numbers.

They aren't the best NHL prospects but Rizzo had 44 points in 30 games and Devine had 56 points in 44 games.

He's also a late-birthday, meaning he's a season ahead of Parekh in development, so his numbers are skewed that way as well.

Parekh also played on a great team but he led the Spirit in points by 21. He was definitely the guy driving the offense for them. More importantly his offensive skillset is more impressive. He's got an excellent shot (hence the 54 goals the past two seasons) and his talent level is higher.

Buium's two-way potential and safety are what makes him the more attractive prospect, but Parekh's definitely the guy with the higher offensive upside and better upside overall.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The numbers may be a bit misleading in this case.

Not trying to knock Buium but he was passing to two of the best college players in the nation this year in Rizzo and Devine, which helped his numbers.

They aren't the best NHL prospects but Rizzo had 44 points in 30 games and Devine had 56 points in 44 games.

He's also a late-birthday, meaning he's a season ahead of Parekh in development, so his numbers are skewed that way as well.

Parekh also played on a great team but he led the Spirit in points by 21. He was definitely the guy driving the offense for them. More importantly his offensive skillset is more impressive. He's got an excellent shot (hence the 54 goals the past two seasons) and his talent level is higher.

Buium's two-way potential and safety are what makes him the more attractive prospect, but Parekh's definitely the guy with the higher offensive upside and better upside overall.
Parekh also played with Misa in Saginaw, who was granted exceptional status (1 of only 8 kids ever) to play in the OHL early. Parekh outscored Misa by 21 points, who had a 9 point lead on the 3rd highest scorer on saginaw

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
He's a big riser and a very raw prospect.

Reminds me of Batherson. You can tell watching him he used to be a small skill guy but after a big growth spurt he's now 6'3 and can use his size, skill or smarts to score. Has a similar skillset but skates better than Drake.

Just scratching the surface of what he can become. His numbers jumped significantly to finish the year and he's had a great playoffs.

Definitely projects as a top 6 forward, which should put him in the same tier as a lot of guys that could go around our pick.
That's great to hear, but he's ranked 19 by Bob McKenzie, and I've had enough of the Ottawa Senators thinking they're smarter than everyone else.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
That's great to hear, but he's ranked 19 by Bob McKenzie, and I've had enough of the Ottawa Senators thinking they're smarter than everyone else.

He's ranked 14th, and Bob's list is usually a lagging indicator.

A lot of scouts are probably still digesting his excellent playoffs and will come to the conclusion he's as worthy of a top 10 selection as lot of guys.

Shouldn't surprise anyone if we go "off the board" at 7 for a guy like Iginla, Sennecke or Yakemchuk.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He’s ranked 14th and will continue to climb into the top 10ish. Had 3/10 head scouts vote him in the top 10, with 1 in the top 5.

He’s the Mark Sheifele of the draft where people will be awestruck with where he goes, when the writing has been on the wall for a while. Like Sheifele, he was a guy ranked in the 20’s, to late teens, to early teens with talk of him going top 5-10.

Guys that climb the way he and Sheifele did almost always prove their draft selection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I do take it into consideration, I'm just not as high on some of the D this year as you are.

Yakemchuk was just ranked 12th on MacKenzie's list. There is a chance he'll be available at 14.

But for the record I used Yakemchuk and Brandsegg-Nygard in that post because they are my 13th/14th ranked players, meaning if we traded down to 14 they would be the worst case scenario for me in that case.
Yep and 3 out of the 10 scouts had him top 5. Moving back to 14, is too far.
If using McKenzie, Bob didn’t have Brandsegg-Nygard top 15.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yep and 3 out of the 10 scouts had him top 5. Moving back to 14, is too far.
If using McKenzie, Bob didn’t have Brandsegg-Nygard top 15.

I don't want him at 14, so I'm fine moving back that far.

Bob's list does not factor in World Championship performance. MBN has looked good and will definitely get top 15 consideration.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't want him at 14, so I'm fine moving back that far.

Bob's list does not factor in World Championship performance. MBN has looked good and will definitely get top 15 consideration.
He seems like the type of player the devils should be interested in and I can see Detroit being very interested in him.
I don't think the Sens trade down but if they do they should be interested

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Either of Levshunov or Silayev would be sweet but they're probably gone before we pick.
Yeah honesty I’m not even watching videos on the top 5ish prospects. Cleebrini levshunov demidov lindstrom I don’t think they’ll drop. I think silayav could drop if someone likes Dickinson and Buium over him. But I’m started to like both over him but I mean that size and skating and he played decent defense already against men. Yeah never mind he’s not dropping to 7

Reactions: Senscore

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Boston's pick can change from 26 in two ways,

1. Boston makes the conference finals by beating Florida in Rd 2. If this happens, their pick will be on of the last 4 picks of the round, with the final two going to the SCF teams.

2. Boston does not make the ECF, but a team currently set to draft earlier than them does make it to the conference finals, in which case that teams pick would be one of the final 4 picks pushing teams previous above them down a spot.

So, if Colorado or VGK make the conference finals and Boston does not, for example, Boston's pick would improve.
Boston lost and is out tonight. VGK is gone now too. If Colorado loses tonight's game against Dallas, Dallas wins and Colorado is out. Would Ottawa's pick improve from #26?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad