2024 NHL Draft: Play with no weenie, for Celebrini

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
At least Johnston went in front of Lambos. I only like to complain when someone is drafted later than our picks.
Stankoven is another that Minnesota should have picked.

The fact that Dallas got Stankoven AND Johnston in the same draft is the reason why they are probably headed to the WCF.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Go look at their first round picks, it’s luck. They took back to back good picks in 2021, and three straight great picks in 2017, but everything in between and before was complete garbage.

That seems a bit harsh. Dellandrea is ok (not great), Harley is really good, Borque may or may not be something, but had a great AHL season. I think they've been hitting on their 1st round picks almost every single time since 2017. Honestly, I think they've only had 2 full-on busts in the 1st round (Honka and Tufte) in about 13 years. I would kill for the Wild to draft that well.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
That seems a bit harsh. Dellandrea is ok (not great), Harley is really good, Borque may or may not be something, but had a great AHL season. I think they've been hitting on their 1st round picks almost every single time since 2017. Honestly, I think they've only had 2 full-on busts in the 1st round (Honka and Tufte) in about 13 years. I would kill for the Wild to draft that well.

Who would you kill, and what method of killing would you prefer? Strangulation, banging your bag against their head until death, or just the old "hanged, drawn and quartered" trident?

• Haha
Reactions: BagHead

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

"Fun" fact: Stramel is pacing for .30 ppg in college...Tufte finished at .53 (and two championships). Maybe the Wild were trying to emulate Dallas with that pick, but hopefully this year they go with "hockey skill" moreso than "big boy!!"

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
They didn’t get a single NHLer after round two until you go back to 2013 and Nick Paul who never played for them. The Wild had 10 players drafted 3rd round or later that are NHLers in that same time span, including Kaprizov.

The only real hard bust for the Wild 1st rounders was FJo but even that isn’t too bad in retrospect with nothing after him in that class. Kunin wasn’t great value, but about what you could expect for his slot.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Who would you kill, and what method of killing would you prefer? Strangulation, banging your bag against their head until death, or just the old "hanged, drawn and quartered" trident?

This isn't just something you write down... It could be used as evidence against you at some later date.

• Wow
Reactions: BagHead

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Stankoven is another that Minnesota should have picked.

The fact that Dallas got Stankoven AND Johnston in the same draft is the reason why they are probably headed to the WCF.
Not going to say that you're wrong, because you're technically not, but I'll just say that it's not a shock that a 5'8" CHL player that played 6 games in his draft year fell to the 2nd round.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
They didn’t get a single NHLer after round two until you go back to 2013 and Nick Paul who never played for them. The Wild had 10 players drafted 3rd round or later that are NHLers in that same time span, including Kaprizov.

The only real hard bust for the Wild 1st rounders was FJo but even that isn’t too bad in retrospect with nothing after him in that class. Kunin wasn’t great value, but about what you could expect for his slot.
True. Overall, I think they're getting roughly the same amount of NHLers as most teams, they're just nabbing them early in the draft rather than later. The Wild have actually been pretty good in the 1st round themselves dating back to the Leddy pick back in 2009. They have made a handful of bad decisions in the meantime via poor selections or trading the picks away, but have done well otherwise. Overall, I think Dallas has added more top-end players than the Wild have in a shorter amount of time recently, and that's a big reason they're good and the Wild are not.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not going to say that you're wrong, because you're technically not, but I'll just say that it's not a shock that a 5'8" CHL player that played 6 games in his draft year fell to the 2nd round.
Size wise yes, but Stankoven was seen as a late 1st round, early 2nd round pick that ended up in the middle of the 2nd round - so a little lower. I don't think anyone would have been surprised if Stankoven was picked in the late half of the 1st round. Hell, I wish Minnesota had moved up in the draft to select him in the 2nd round.

As for Dallas, I'll mention that even IF they don't all hit - they still contribute to the AHL. 2014 was a pretty off year for them, but they are pretty consistent on pulling a guy out of the 2nd round or later every few years.

Minnesota struggles to hit on their 1st round picks and none of their picks outside the 1st round really contribute to the AHL, much less the NHL lately. Duhaime, Dewar have been good picks. But have you seen from 2019 - 2021?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Size wise yes, but Stankoven was seen as a late 1st round, early 2nd round pick that ended up in the middle of the 2nd round - so a little lower. I don't think anyone would have been surprised if Stankoven was picked in the late half of the 1st round. Hell, I wish Minnesota had moved up in the draft to select him in the 2nd round.

As for Dallas, I'll mention that even IF they don't all hit - they still contribute to the AHL. 2014 was a pretty off year for them, but they are pretty consistent on pulling a guy out of the 2nd round or later every few years.

Minnesota struggles to hit on their 1st round picks and none of their picks outside the 1st round really contribute to the AHL, much less the NHL lately. Duhaime, Dewar have been good picks. But have you seen from 2019 - 2021?
Our 2019 and 2020 1st rounders are Boldy and Rossi. 2021 is Wallstedt and Lambos. Almost the entirety of the rest of the picks are in the NHL or AHL. Leads me to ask, but have you seen from 2019-2021?

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
At least Johnston went in front of Lambos. I only like to complain when someone is drafted later than our picks.
You are right. I wonder if Wally would have slid and we picked Johnston first.

Anyways- I don't expect that to happen each Draft. It's a crapshoot. But it would be NICE. Kapper was a miracle and can I have another one?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You are right. I wonder if Wally would have slid and we picked Johnston first.

Anyways- I don't expect that to happen each Draft. It's a crapshoot. But it would be NICE. Kapper was a miracle and can I have another one?

They traded up 2 spots to pick Wally. Their original pick was the one right before Johnston.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Our 2019 and 2020 1st rounders are Boldy and Rossi. 2021 is Wallstedt and Lambos. Almost the entirety of the rest of the picks are in the NHL or AHL. Leads me to ask, but have you seen from 2019-2021?

Rossi is apparently on the trade block, Boldy as good as he is, disappears for stretches and we've heard for the past two years that we've needed to get another winger for him. Lambos has been a major disappointment. Wally is probably the better of the group.

Outside of that? Firstov is gone, Jones is gone, Beckman has not developed, Guskov is gone, Warren is gone, Nesterenko did not want to sign with the organization, Lindberg did not want to sign with the organization.

Khusnutdinov has finally joined, we'll see how he develops. O'Rourke was meh, Hunt was decent, Novak is done.

Peart had a pretty disappointing season in the NCAA, Bankier and Masters were meh (until probably the end). Pillar was traded. Benoit - uh...no idea.

Running it back from 2014, Minnesota has zero players from 2014, 2 players from 2015 (thank God for Kaprizov in that draft), zero players from 2016, 1 player I think from 2017, 0 players from 2018, 1 player from 2019 (I don't see anything from Beckman to make me think he'll stick around any longer than he has).

The redemption maybe 2020 and maybe 2021, but who knows. None of the guys really made an impact or stood out in the AHL. For a good chunk of the season, the team was a disaster. They were tied for the third worst team in terms of GA (only Chicago behind them were worse, San Diego was the same). They were also the second worst team in terms of GF, only Bridgeport was worse.

Beckman can't even crack 25 goals in the AHL.
O'Rourke was a -30.

Oh don't worry! The person responsible for this mess got promoted to AGM.

Either they aren't bringing in the veterans to help, the development team just sucks at their job or they aren't identifying players that translate their skills to the AHL.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Brackett’s first draft was 2020 was it not? I mean, he was just hired, but that draft was later than normal due to covid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad