Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Draft Thread

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
LMAO D. Jiricek comparable to Brodin? He's more like Weber/Letang hybrid. EASILY 50+ point defenseman with a cannon. You don't know anything and try to sound smart.

francis.gif

Calm it down soothsayer. Jiricek is a good prospect who projects to go in the first round. Saying he's a Weber/Letang hybrid is premature.at best. I'm sure you're not an NHL scout, scurrying message boards, looking for opposing views on prospects. ;)

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
LMAO D. Jiricek comparable to Brodin? He's more like Weber/Letang hybrid. EASILY 50+ point defenseman with a cannon. You don't know anything and try to sound smart.
You misspelled JiriceksMom in your username. We apologize on behalf of Kimzey for under estimating your son's offensive potential. You must really be proud of your kid. But you should think more about his brother Adam Jiricek, your other son. As that is who Kimzey was talking about. You know the one eligible for the 2024 draft, the draft that is the title of this thread.

I don't know about you, but insulting someone for their opinion on a hockey player when you don't know the player they are discussing is the real trying to look smart and not knowing anything.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Adam has

Adam has even more offensive upside than his brother thanks to his skating. He is not producing, because he is playing 8 minutes a night and Plzen is in rough shape.
he is intriguing player, but there have been reports that his shot isn't good. is that a valid criticism? should that scare team away from him in top half of 1st?

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

1- We're talking about A Jiricek; not D Jiricek.

2- It's a stylistic comparison only. And yes, compared to Silayev who is a 6'7" 210lbs athletic freak; he absolutely does trend more towards the Brodin end of the spectrum(meaning skating and IQ over raw physical ability).

Not sure why that's such a controversial take.

3- We're two weeks into the season. My evaluation of this crop is FAR from complete.
What I will say; I like Jiricek as a prospect. He seems to have an NHL frame. His skating is high end, his defensive mechanics look sound(definitely needs to fill out a bit but he generally seems to be in the right spot) and he does seem to have some offensive tools(not sure if they translate to the next level at this point, but there are some tools). Still a ways away from putting everything together, but he looks like a very solid prospect.
I haven't even started thinking about overall rankings just yet but I definitely like what I've seen from him.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The one I'm paying attention to is Anton Silayev. He's 6'7 and plays top 4 minutes in the KHL on a good team. Has 2 goals and 7 points in 19 games. Skates well according to scouts. He is pretty raw but he has an exciting toolkit
Great article on him by Scott Wheeler in The Athletic today. It's paywall so i won't link, but the clips he presents are quite impressive. Like he gives off Hedman vibes. Now these are just some highlights and I haven't actually watched much gameplay, but let a boy dream..

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
he is intriguing player, but there have been reports that his shot isn't good. is that a valid criticism? should that scare team away from him in top half of 1st?
He is just different type of player, more of a puck carrier, playmaker, he is also smaller than David, more relying on his speed than strength, but he can also hit hard, but you will never see him clapping those cannons from blue line or obliterating other people, he is more of a A. Fox type. of D, very simillar to Šimon Němec but more daring, more dynamic i would say, Němec is smarter though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
It’s been an interesting year to try to keep a spreadsheet. For whatever reason, this is a strong skating class. Not so many guys with that question mark as last year. Also guys are falling as quick as they climb and ascending out of nowhere. Fun year so far. Like the new central scouting report, where did these guys come from? Whose Cheerios did Felicio pee in? 1st to a 6th? He’s small, but wow…

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’m so glad Army kept both of late 1sts last year. Stenberg and Lindstein are going to be great players. 2 of the steals of the draft.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It’s been an interesting year to try to keep a spreadsheet. For whatever reason, this is a strong skating class. Not so many guys with that question mark as last year. Also guys are falling as quick as they climb and ascending out of nowhere. Fun year so far. Like the new central scouting report, where did these guys come from? Whose Cheerios did Felicio pee in? 1st to a 6th? He’s small, but wow…
i don't know if i'm just following it earlier in season bc our team isn't good, but so many of the guys i check out (almost exclusively d at this point) give off such mixed vibes. like fibigr in article i linked to, i was watching the Hlinka final (on youtube without sound) and it wasn't until 3rd period i even noticed that he was playing in the game i was watching! like he wasn't bad, but nothing stood out. video clips looked good but in game action he was kinda just there.

as opposed to his teammate, jiricek (who was 1 of guys i was focusing primarily on, along with dickinson and mews), who stood out both good and bad. he made so many smart plays that you are like "this guy will be a stud" and then he would make just bonehead play or get beat like he is the next tyler tucker and you go "maybe he isn't really a lottery pick." jiricek is one of the guys who i am super curious to see what he looks like by u18s. seems like he isn't in great situation in czechia (not quite dvo bad but not great) for such a key develeopment year.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Honestly, I think there's a bit of "Draft hangover" going on.
As much focus as last year got(for good reason), this year's batch was largely overshadowed and neglected. Now all the scouts are trying to update their lists and catch up. Leads to a lot of wild swings as scouts get their first couple of real looks at a guy.

I'd imagine the rankings won't really start cementing themselves until after the WJC's. Even then you could see some really big late season shifts.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
So I wanted to get some ideas on how I value these letter grades versus numerically ordered rankings. I’m not sure what the best way is in order to calculate a fairly true average ranking. Should I just give all of the A’s a value of one? Then, if there are 28 ones, then start all of the bees with a value of 29?

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
So I wanted to get some ideas on how I value these letter grades versus numerically ordered rankings. I’m not sure what the best way is in order to calculate a fairly true average ranking. Should I just give all of the A’s a value of one? Then, if there are 28 ones, then start all of the bees with a value of 29?
Easiest way to group players or prospects seems to be a pyramid. Numerically ordered is used but doesn't really say much when you're comparing a guy who is ranked 21st vs 40th. They could be in the same tier but 19 picks apart.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
1) Levshenov
2) Dickinson

Those are my top 2 choices with our pick #5
fwiw, levshunov and michigan state are on espn+ right now against bc in a battle of top 10 teams (bc particularly features a good number of highly drafted players.) will be available on demand for at least a bit if anyone wants to watch it later.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
fwiw, levshunov and michigan state are on espn+ right now against bc in a battle of top 10 teams (bc particularly features a good number of highly drafted players.) will be available on demand for at least a bit if anyone wants to watch it later.

You get to watch Levshunov and Strbak at RD for Michigan State, pretty sweet.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You get to watch Levshunov and Strbak at RD for Michigan State, pretty sweet.
levshunov has been far more noticeable (and his season stats are much better) than strbak. i like strbak and think he has chance to be good 4/5 type guy and maybe better, so for lev to be so far ahead of him while a year (about 6 months but a draft year) behind is pretty impressive.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
levshunov has been far more noticeable (and his season stats are much better) than strbak. i like strbak and think he has chance to be good 4/5 type guy and maybe better, so for lev to be so far ahead of him while a year (about 6 months but a draft year) behind is pretty impressive.

Levshunov is significantly better of course, still love Strbak. BC will not be having a good time going up against those two on that side of the ice.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
the bc-msu game tonight completes my initial viewings (i haven't had full viewings of ndtp guys or the finns, but at this point they are generally ranked more as 2nd round guys) of the top rated defensemen in this class. it's early and the best player now won't necessarily be best in june. i think we could see 10-12 d go in the first round and it wouldn't surprise me. at this point, however, the following guys (listed alphabetically) most interest me as potential Blues 1st round Ds:

Zeev Buium- looks much more intriguing than his brother who was a 2nd rounder. reminds me a bit of faulk in that he is offensive-minded guy but to call him offensive d sells him short. is 2nd youngest guy in ncaa (to celebrini who will likely go 1OA) has really good feet, surprisingly physical defender, and nice handle. plays on top pair at 2nd ranked DU. currently listed by DU at 6'2" but at 6' elsewhere, but his brothers (one of whom is a DU teammate and red wing prospect) are 6'2 and 6'3 inches (and DU lists Shai at 6'4" so not sure if they are exaggerating or both are just still growing). looked really good in fun matchup against loaded BC team (2 versus 3 matchup that DU won with late goal) If he is 6'2" i'd say he would merit top 15 pick, but if only 6" i still think he would be intriguing option if we get a pick 20 or so.

Sam Dickinson- looks like surefire top 10 pick, maybe higher. Has everything you are looking for in modern d. i've seen him described as combo of petro and nurse. i'm not 100% that he is legit 1d, but i have high confidence that he will be top 4 guy at least and likely better. will be interesting to see how much he progresses in larger role as year goes on. he and mews were top pair on gold medal winning canada u17 hlinka team and really shone. probably top overall d at this point.

Adam Jiricek- i mentioned in earlier post that i am still trying to get my arms around him. not as big or strong as his brother but more mobile. i could see him playing his way into top 10 or higher. international play will be huge for him, as i think he likely makes wjc team and should play a ton of minutes at u18s. i could see him being the guy i want when all is said and done, but he wouldn't be at top of list right now.

Artyom Levshunov- 3rd youngest guy in ncaa. good size and strength at his age and having a strong freshman season for #7 spartans. that said, i don't love his skating and i don't know that i see the high-end offensive talent. he looks like can play in top 4 and be minutes eater, but i don't know how much upside beyond that. i realize that i am not as high on him as the consensus ranking. i would probably have him closer to middle of first round than top 5 where he is currently ranked.

Henry Mews- he really intrigues me. former forward who has only been playing d for a few years. great skater. wants puck on his stick. plays with physical edge. he played bit of a complimentary role last year as 16 YO on very good ottawa team (much like his Hlinka partner Dickinson in London) and now he is expected to be the man there, which is a big of an adjustment but feels like he will be up for it. i've seen josh morrisey as comp for him, but i think mews has bit more physicality. he is ranked between 10-20 at this point, but i could see him rising.

Anton Silayev- this guy is huge, can skate, and has some skill. seemingly came out of nowhere to be in everyone's top 10. you watch his highlights and you think you are watching generational talent. reality is i think less clear. watching full games he looks lost much of time and almost clumsy. muffs a lot of pucks. doesn't seem aware of what offense is doing while he just stands there near his goalie. so the dream and the reality are rather far apart. he's still a 1st round pick and someone will likely take him top 10. i don't know that i want to be the one doing that.

Last edited:

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
As a 2nd rounder; I have to say Baby Iginla's stat line is pretty intriguing 13 games, 13 goals(21 points).
Appears to be a bit 1-dimensional, but that kind of goal production is hard to ignore.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad