Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
We all are, but Necas isn't even a center. I think the other problem is what is classified as a 1C by everyone. For example, I see as a true 1C as someone who at minimum is top 15 is production over the last 3 years. They at worst need to be average at the dot, but I'd prefer someone whose strong in the dot and has a two way game. It doesn't need to Bergeron level two-way game, but they can't be a liability out there.

Right now the only guy that meets what I classify as a 1C (and is likely to be available) would be Stamkos. Elias Lindholm I'm still all for. I think he can play in that 1C role, but on a legit cup contender he'd be a 2C. He's 37th in points over the last 3 years, has a very good two-way game and is top 20 among active centers in FO% over the last 3 years.
i'd take a shot at necas moving to center - he's said numerous times that he sees himself as a center, but carolina has been deep enough they haven't tried it. that said, i don't imagine they are trading him, especially with a lot of bodies likely to move out this summer.

as for stamkos, he's basically a LW now. lindholm is the best center available. better than what we have, but not a 1C as you said.
draisaitl is a pipe dream. even if he leaves edmonton, they'll get a haul for him and b's can't match what other teams can offer.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
i'd take a shot at necas moving to center - he's said numerous times that he sees himself as a center, but carolina has been deep enough they haven't tried it. that said, i don't imagine they are trading him, especially with a lot of bodies likely to move out this summer.

as for stamkos, he's basically a LW now. lindholm is the best center available. better than what we have, but not a 1C as you said.
draisaitl is a pipe dream. even if he leaves edmonton, they'll get a haul for him and b's can't match what other teams can offer.
Only hope for Draisaitl is a Hall situation where he says he will only go to Boston and demands a trade. I can't see that happening.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Watching this series, aside from the obvious hole down the middle, I think they lack some foot speed in their forwards, one if the things I'd look to improve as well as sprinkling some size into the top 6 somehow...
You are making a good point, I think there is some positive to take away from Maroon, Brazeu and JVR, but there are some warts also, last night late in the game Braz and Jvr were on the ice together and it was painful to watch their heart and their head wanted to get to the puck and make a play but their legs would not allow it, that combination Maroon, Braz and Jvr, should not be out there together.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

So you're willing to try Necas at Center even though he's taken 640 draws over the last 3 years and only won 42% of them....but Stamkos is basically a LW despite taking 2,636 draws over the last 3 years and has won 53% of them

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Do you want to roll the dice on a 7 year deal for Lindholm that starts at 30.

Or would you want to roll the dice on the Bruins culture being able to unlock 25 year old PLD for the next 7 years.

Or do you want to punt on the C situation until a better option comes along and spend money on wingers.

Those feel like the only options.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Good stuff

I have been big EL guy but what are you paying

To sign him you probably go

Lindholm
Coyle
Freddie or Geekie or Poitras

Zacha to LW

DeBrusk?

so many questions

They got a cute team and are close but not elite

What they need is Marchand to be 29-30

Going to be an interesting off season

I'd give him a similar deal to what Horvat got which is $8.5 million. Unless we do a sign and trade with Vancouver then it'd have to be an 7yr deal. If you can get him at 7yr/$8 million fantastic, but I don't see $8.5 being unrealistic.

Last 3 seasons:
Horvat - 230GP / 190P / 56% FO
Lindholm - 237GP / 190P / 55% FO

Reactions: DKH

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Trade:
  • Ullmark
Walk:
  • Maroon,
  • Forbort( unless he signs for cheap),
  • JVR
  • Shattenkirk
Add:
  • Lindholm
  • Duchene, he can likely be had for cheap.

Marchand - Lindholm - Pasta
Zacha/Frederic - Duchene - Debrusk
Coyle - Poitras - Frederic/Zacha
Brazeau - Beecher - Heinen

I would love to see an upgrade from Debrusk with someone like Guentzel if we could make the cap work. Is Lysell and option? or do we use him as trade bait.

The only issue I have with the current lineup (if we get Lindholm) is our best shutdown line would also be our best offensive line.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So you're willing to try Necas at Center even though he's taken only 640 draws over the last 3 years and only won 42% of them....but Stamkos is basically a LW despite taking 2,636 draws over the last 3 years and has won 53% of them

The difference of course is Necas is a guy who is just entering his prime, and while a very good wing, still could blossom at C. I doubt it happens, but I'll take Necas even is he is just a wing, although I have no idea how you get him.

Tavarez is approaching the end of his career. HE is still very good, and is a pure GFIN player. Also I don;t know how you get Toronto to give him to you. (maybe we are expecting a buyout?)

Reactions: neelynugs and DKH

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Or would you want to roll the dice on the Bruins culture being able to unlock 25 year old PLD for the next 7 years.

Or do you want to punt on the C situation until a better option comes along and spend money on wingers.

Players today are going deeper into their 30's and still be effective players. Even if the last 2-3 years of Lindholm's contract he takes a step back, he's still a middle 6 C/RW. At worst he two-way 3C that can win face-offs but not have the offensive to be a top 6 guy.

PLD - 100% out on. 25yrs old and already on his 3rd team and his newest team is considering moving him after 1 season. If the locker room was in its prime days with guys like Chara, Bergeron, etc around, then maybe.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Swap lauko with maroon and I’m in

And Stephenson has the same birthday as me I’ll take an earth day baby any day

His stats give me pause on first line duty though, is he making 6 mil now?
I’m fine with Lauko, Maroon, and Brazeau splitting time, I just like the idea of having Maroon still here for the season to have a guy you can slot in for the heavier games.

And I just made guesses on salary, I have no clue what would be fair. 😂.
I think if you have those three centers though, you can juggle them a little to see who fits best with who and not worry so much about line numbers.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Trade:
  • Ullmark
Walk:
  • Maroon,
  • JVR
  • Shattenkirk
Add:
  • Lindholm

I would love to see an upgrade from Debrusk with someone like Guentzel if we could make the cap work. Is Lysell and option? or do we use him as trade bait.

The only issue I have with the current lineup (if we get Lindholm) is our best shutdown line would also be our best offensive line.

I don't think the cap works to spend 20 million on Lindholm and Guentzel, and they will cost close to 20 combined.

Lysel should not be considered an option. Certainly not someone you factor in when making roster decisions. He has talent but injury history is getting very large here . If someone offered value for him, I'd probably move on even if the potential is tantalizing. (like would you move him for a early 2, and a 5, I probably might)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

It's not like the Kings don't have a winning culture of their own. Still employ two of their leaders from their cup years in Kopitar and Doughty.

PLD talks a big game. He cut a post-game interview a couple years ago playing for Team Canada at the World's (not sure which year) and he sounded like a future team captain. Said all the right things. Spoke with conviction.

But then you see Doughty basically call him out in a post-game interview this year for his selfishness and lack of effort.

There are also rumblings out of LA that part of Dubois's problem is he is miscast as a center. Given the effort level it takes to be a quality two-way center in today's NHL, that isn't surprising if he's out there dogging it or cheating to get his cookies as Doughty says.

Half this board is ready to toss Pavel Zacha overboard for his perceived lack of effort in this post-season, I shudder to think what fans would think of Dubois.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It's not like the Kings don't have a winning culture of their own. Still employ two of their leaders from their cup years in Kopitar and Doughty.

PLD talks a big game. He cut a post-game interview a couple years ago playing for Team Canada at the World's (not sure which year) and he sounded like a future team captain. Said all the right things. Spoke with conviction.

But then you see Doughty basically call him out in a post-game interview this year for his selfishness and lack of effort.

There are also rumblings out of LA that part of Dubois's problem is he is miscast as a center. Given the effort level it takes to be a quality two-way center in today's NHL, that isn't surprising if he's out there dogging it or cheating to get his cookies as Doughty says.

Half this board is ready to toss Pavel Zacha overboard for his perceived lack of effort in this post-season, I shudder to think what fans would think of Dubois.
Agree with everything but supposedly the callout was for Fiala not PLD.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Not necessarily comfortable with either, but if Lindholm can give you 3-4 good years, especially with the cap expected to rise, that's likely an OK to good deal taking you through Pasta's prime even if the last few years are meh. Would likely still be a good/great 3C once Coyle's contract expires.

I have no reason to believe this team would be the one to set PLD straight. If Linus to LA is revisited I'd love to see them go after Kempe.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Gordoff

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'd give him a similar deal to what Horvat got which is $8.5 million. Unless we do a sign and trade with Vancouver then it'd have to be an 7yr deal. If you can get him at 7yr/$8 million fantastic, but I don't see $8.5 being unrealistic.

Last 3 seasons:
Horvat - 230GP / 190P / 56% FO
Lindholm - 237GP / 190P / 55% FO

And Lindholm is just flat on another level with two way play. But he is three years older. But the cap is past being flat. I don’t think 8.5 is unrealistic in the slightest. I honestly think that’s what gets you in the conversationz

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Kept hearing last year trochek wasn’t a top line center and now Lindholm is not a top line center.

I’d like to see peoples lists of 32 centers better than those guys. Would be very interesting.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Trade:
  • Ullmark
Walk:
  • Maroon,
  • JVR
  • Shattenkirk
Add:
  • Lindholm

Guentzel is a really good winger but he is 2 years older than #74 and will cost at least $2M more.

If they can't get one of Stephenson, or Lindholm maybe sign both but you will need to trade Zacha for picks. Even then don't think its cap compliant.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Honestly a PLD Lindholm Pasta line would be really damn good.
Trade:
  • Ullmark
Walk:
  • Maroon,
  • JVR
  • Shattenkirk
Add:
  • Lindholm

I don't think Duchene leaves cowboy hat country.

Reactions: BruinDust

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Just my thoughts.

Ullmark & Poitras for Danault & Englund
Sign Chandler Stephenson
Re-Sign our guys
My numbers are probably off

View attachment 870979
Ullmark for Danault could make some sense but I'm not putting Poitras in that deal. Why would a center-starved team would trade their most promising center prospect?

Danault is a good player but he's a 3C on the wrong side of 30. Kinda redundant with Coyle. Feels like he should be a last resort option. I do like the Stephenson signing.

Reactions: bbfan419

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
So you're willing to try Necas at Center even though he's taken 640 draws over the last 3 years and only won 42% of them....but Stamkos is basically a LW despite taking 2,636 draws over the last 3 years and has won 53% of them
Awesome

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Honestly a PLD Lindholm Pasta line would be really damn good.

It could be. On paper it looks pretty solid even if Dubois remains a 40-50 pt guy.

I actually think the biggest obstacle is his contract, specifically what he's owed the next 3 seasons. Almost 32 million in real salary. I think that is a tough sell for Sweeney to make to Charlie Jacobs for a move with a lot of risk attached. How does he justify it?

It would be him, Pasta and McAvoy as the only players in the room with a salary even close to that stratosphere (32-36 mill) the next 3 years I wonder how that goes over if PLD underperforms or pouts or sulks, or worse yet, wants out.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
And Lindholm is just flat on another level with two way play. But he is three years older. But the cap is past being flat. I don’t think 8.5 is unrealistic in the slightest. I honestly think that’s what gets you in the conversationz

Lindholm is going to turn 30 this year and Horvat turned 29 a few months ago.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Lindholm is going to turn 30 this year and Horvat turned 29 a few months ago.

For some reason I thought he was on year 2 of his deal. But point still stands, just not nearly as strongly, that you are gettingan extra prime year in the Horvat deal. Just seems to me like the Horvat deal is the floor with the rising cap and Lindholm being a better all around player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad