Red Sox/MLB 2023 Regular Season- IX: Former Red Sox pitcher Tim Wakefield and his wife are both battling cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
The CBA between MLB and the MLBUA is structured such that MLB can't fire an umpire for making subjective calls. He could be fired for gross misconduct or for misapplying rules. All poor performance does is make sure that he won't get post-season assignments.

Could the Umpires Association dump him? I guess. Will they? Not a chance.
But he is so bad he is acting with gross misconduct and misapplying rules.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Quick question for the group: Have any of you ever gotten tossed out of a game that you were playing in? Could be any particular sport...

I got tossed once. It was a varsity baseball game my sophomore year of high school.......My coach ended up getting tossed too.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Quick question for the group: Have any of you ever gotten tossed out of a game that you were playing in? Could be any particular sport...

I got tossed once. It was a varsity baseball game my sophomore year of high school.......My coach ended up getting tossed too.

Got tossed for boarding once in Bantams. My little brother got tossed and suspended in High School for challenging the opponent's bench and causing a brawl . . . in soccer! That was one you never saw before or since.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Not by any refs or umps, but coaches definitely benched me on a few occasions. I was hypercompetitive but not athletically gifted so I got frustrated a lot and would have tantrums. I'm actually shocked that I didn't ever get ejected in retrospect, especially from some of those little league umps.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I was a pretty good pitcher back in the day, and I made it a point to not piss off the umpires, cause I figured I'd need a close call every once in a while. Also, my dad always told me that if I ever got tossed that'd be the last time I set foot on a baseball field. My dad refereed basketball games and he taught me to respect officials at a very young age.

So....I'm at the plate, early in a game (was playing 1st base that day) and I get a first-pitch fastball about neck-high that's a called strike. When I hit, I used to like to talk to myself at the plate. Nothing crazy, just little reminders to myself like "keep your hands in", "hip turn"...whatever.

Anyway, after that pitch, I say to myself "well that was f***ing atrocious", or something to that effect. It wasn't even strike 3. I didn't say it loud, and I truly wasn't talking to the ump, just to myself. I even had my back to the umpire when I said it, but he heard me and I got run. My coach came out to ask the ump what the hell happened and he got run too.

I was terrified about what my dad would say, but my coach called him and explained the deal. He laughed about it.

Last edited:

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Remember when Rob Gronkowski threw Sergio Brown out of the club?

My brother got thrown out of his last high school football game for doing that to a kid on the other team who had been taunting him for two years in a row. Started a huge brawl.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Good article on ESPN today recapping the rule changes and how its affected the game. Personally, I think MLB nailed it with the rule changes.

"Game time is down 24 minutes, while all the things that make baseball fun are up. With 97% of the season completed, batting average is up six points (.249) from 2022, batting average on balls in play is up seven points (.297) and on-base percentage is up eight points (.320). We also saw an increase in runs per game (from 8.6 last season to 9.3 in 2023) and stolen base attempts (1.4 to 1.8). On top of that, average attendance is up 9.15%, the biggest one-year increase across the league in 30 years, according to MLB."

Reactions: BMC

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Not by any refs or umps, but coaches definitely benched me on a few occasions. I was hypercompetitive but not athletically gifted so I got frustrated a lot and would have tantrums. I'm actually shocked that I didn't ever get ejected in retrospect, especially from some of those little league umps.

Ejected in little league. That would be a sight.

The umpire union is a union but at some point it should worry about its own image. This is one of the worst umpires in history.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

football, i would have been 13 or 14, guy on the other team dove into a pile waaaaaaayyyy after the whistle (no fumble or anything), my running back screams in pain (he ended up with a broken arm). I pulled the guy off the pile and tried to get his helmet off. Got pulled apart, i got tossed. No flag on the piling on.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

The Padres are 1-12 in extra inning games. If the Red Sox ever missed the playoffs by being 1-12 in extra inning games that might be enough to truly resurrect the fellowship of the miserable days.

Reactions: mxcrossb and BMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

The Padres are 1-12 in extra inning games. If the Red Sox ever missed the playoffs by being 1-12 in extra inning games that might be enough to truly resurrect the fellowship of the miserable days.

San Diego is a cursed city. There was that one year the Chargers had the #1 offense and #1 defense in football and they went 8-8 and missed the playoffs

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Got tossed for boarding once in Bantams. My little brother got tossed and suspended in High School for challenging the opponent's bench and causing a brawl . . . in soccer! That was one you never saw before or since.
Boarding as well - felt bad was unintentional

Reactions: jgatie

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I was usually pretty mild playing baseball, most I would do to an ump was start walking off the mound before the call if I thought I had it. If they don’t give you the strike that may tweak them a little.

In rec basketball I was Rasheed Wallace

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim

The NL WC race is absurd. Several teams with negative differentials are about to beat out the Cubs (+96) and the Padres (+98).

Reactions: mxcrossb

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The NL WC race is absurd. Several teams with negative differentials are about to beat out the Cubs (+96) and the Padres (+98).
Cubs imploded - so pre WS Cubs

The Cubs lost their allure with that championship

Padres I just hate

This years baseball season is - love. Money can’t buy it and nothing like being young and in love

3 highest payroll teams- Mets Yanks & Padres out & youthful O’s led by Ruschman & Henderson won 100 games

Reactions: sarge88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad