Patriots/NFL 2023 Pre-Season - DA drops gun charges against Patriots CB Jack Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I am surprised but not surprised he got off. Typical for non peasants like us.

Ummm, no. Non violent gun crimes rarely get prosecuted, this isnt some 2nd set of rules situation.

Around 10% of all gun charges end in a conviction and low level ones like possession dont always involve an arrest let alone a trial and charges.

Reactions: Over the volcano

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Ummm, no. Non violent gun crimes rarely get prosecuted, this isnt some 2nd set of rules situation.

Around 10% of all gun charges end in a conviction and low level ones like possession dont always involve an arrest let alone a trial and charges.
That 10% figure is for ALL types of gun charges, including common traffic stops.

Airports are different.

Cases involving guys with a criminal record like him are different.

He got "lucky".

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I will also reiterate that while I think Jones is a dumbass and got lucky I don't think the league should get involved at this point.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Bringing guns into an airport is a WHOLE different ball game. He got off lucky.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
If he were just another kid from Roxbury and not a pro athlete he'd still be in the Suffolk County county jail awaiting processing today

No, he'd be exactly where he's at now. People need to drop the idea that the courts are hard on gun offenses. They aren't.

Best example I could find quickly googling is NYC. Here's a breakdown of all gun related arrests in 2021:

4,456 arrests
1,784 cases pending
1,200 cases dismissed due to the DA declining to prosecute
711 convictions with most being plea deals
1 conviction as the result of a trial

Another couple more quick ones, in Philly in 2021 only 36% of all gun charges resulted in a conviction or plea deal meaning 64% were dropped. In Chicago only 35% of all felony firearm possession cases resulted in jail time.

NYC, Philly and Chicago are some of the toughest places in terms of firearm regulation and laws.

Reactions: Over the volcano

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
No, he'd be exactly where he's at now. People need to drop the idea that the courts are hard on gun offenses. They aren't.

Best example I could find quickly googling is NYC. Here's a breakdown of all gun related arrests in 2021:

4,456 arrests
1,784 cases pending
1,200 cases dismissed due to the DA declining to prosecute
711 convictions with most being plea deals
1 conviction as the result of a trial

Another couple more quick ones, in Philly in 2021 only 36% of all gun charges resulted in a conviction or plea deal meaning 64% were dropped. In Chicago only 35% of all felony firearm possession cases resulted in jail time.

NYC, Philly and Chicago are some of the toughest places in terms of firearm regulation and laws.

You are incorrectly forgetting that he brought them into an AIRPORT, and TSA confiscated them. You cannot do that. They don't play f***ing games like that. If you did what he did, you'd be in jail. That's the truth.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
So many people in this country have so many guns - I think some folks forget it's really the norm. Sounds like he bought em legally and made an honest mistake.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So many people in this country have so many guns - I think some folks forget it's really the norm. Sounds like he bought em legally and made an honest mistake.
Legal expert in the video I shared above says we’d be surprised how often it happens at Logan and that they’re usually not prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and are not given the mandatory minimum in prison. It’s a much different situation than if he were to get pulled over and had it under his seat, for instance

Reactions: mxcrossb

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
So as someone who's been in the industry a long time, yeah undeclared guns at the airport happens a BUNCH. It's scary how much it happens, lol.

TSA does treat it seriously, but if there's no intent there's usually not jail time from what I understand. Civil penalties, yes.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
You are incorrectly forgetting that he brought them into an AIRPORT, and TSA confiscated them. You cannot do that. They don't play f***ing games like that. If you did what he did, you'd be in jail. That's the truth.

happens all the time I read now. like forgetting your keys or wallet

Reactions: Johnnyduke

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'll be honest: the Jack Jones thing is whatever in my book. He shouldn't have been trying to do it and got caught, and now he got a get out of jail free card. Good for him; hopefully this gives him a little wisdom and doesn't do it again.

Reactions: Troublesome 85

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NFL starts on Thursday night (9/7) and HF Pickem now has 3 pools open.

Good Luck

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Legal expert in the video I shared above says we’d be surprised how often it happens at Logan and that they’re usually not prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and are not given the mandatory minimum in prison. It’s a much different situation than if he were to get pulled over and had it under his seat, for instance
This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. How is having a gun under your seat of your own car deemed more dangerous than carrying a loaded weapon on to a plane where people are sitting ducks if you chose to do something on the plane? Hey, someone could easily tell a cop that he didn't put the gun under his seat. Someone else did it!

I haven't seen people on here calling Jones a bad guy because of this. But it's still incredibly stupid to have this happen. It's not an "honest mistake" like losing your keys or something. Making the mistake of possibly getting on to a plane with a loaded weapon is something that should never, ever happen. There should be more accountability than what we saw happen.

What if Plaxico Burress claimed he didn't know the gun was on him? Would that have worked?

Reactions: Mione134

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I'll be honest: the Jack Jones thing is whatever in my book. He shouldn't have been trying to do it and got caught, and now he got a get out of jail free card. Good for him; hopefully this gives him a little wisdom and doesn't do it again.
The problem is Jack Jones has been doing stupid shit for years and it hasn't cost him a whole lot. Maybe draft positioning but he's still in the NFL with the ability to make a lot of money. That would require him to keep his shit together going forward though. I wouldn't count on that.

Reactions: Mione134
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad