Prospect Info: 2023 1st Rd Selection - #28 OA (via BOS, WSH) - C, Easton Cowan [London Knights, OHL; [Height 5.11 -- Weight 185]

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
So probably not worth it for Cowan to repeat at that level, right? He good enough to start the season with the Leafs with a good camp?

Reactions: arso40

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So probably not worth it for Cowan to repeat at that level, right? He good enough to start the season with the Leafs with a good camp?

Depends how well he does in training camp.

The problem with him is he's small (smaller than Marner) and not AHL eligible. They might still send him back to junior to get more muscular. It wouldn't be the worst idea to call him up for the playoffs to save a year of his ELC.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
1715834311562.png

1715834448436.png

One is Cowan one is a Maple Leafs all star.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1715836999210.png

Leading the OHL Playoffs with 34 points (10-24–34) over 18 games, London Knights forward Easton Cowan was unanimously voted the Most Valuable Player of the 2024 OHL Players by accredited media in attendance at the Tribute Communities Centre on Wednesday.

A first round (28th overall) pick by the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2023, Cowan had a goal and three assists in London’s 7-1 series-clinching victory over the Oshawa Generals in Game 4. OHL Commissioner David Branch presented Cowan with the Wayne Gretzky 99 Award as he joins Mitch Marner (2016), Bo Horvat (2013), Austin Watson (2012) and Corey Perry (2005) as the fifth player in franchise history to claim the honour.

“It’s a great feeling, but I couldn’t have done it without any of these guys,” said Cowan following the announcement. My family, my friends, they’re all here right now along with these boys that battle for me each and every night. It’s a great feeling.”

Cowan had points in 16 of his 18 playoff outings, headlined by a career-high five points (1-4–5) in London’s 8-1 Game 1 win over Oshawa. He follows Marner (2016), Connor McDavid (Erie, 2015), Justin Azevedo (Kitchener, 2008), Perry (2005) and Brad Boyes (Erie, 2002) to become the sixth player in OHL history to win the Wayne Gretzky 99 Award after receiving the Red Tilson Trophy as the League’s Most Outstanding Player during the regular season.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Yes, but those heights and weights aren't known to be accurate.

At the NHL combine last year he was measured at 5'10.5 - 170lbs. If he put on 15 lbs in less than a year it isn't muscle.

Maybe he had a growth spurt...not hard to add 15 lbs in about a year...and some people could easily get more buffed than others.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Leafs Own site

View attachment 871504

Sure - but what are these weights based on? You're telling me he's already bigger than Marner and Wyatt Johnston (who are both older and taller)?

If so, he's NHL ready today but everyone keeps saying he has to put on weight - including in the London Knights broadcasts - which wouldn't make sense if he was genuinely already 185. There's lots of NHL players who are bigger and not even 185 yet.

Lots of NHL players aren’t even 185 and they look bigger than him, but I’m sure it’s possible. That would mean Marchand, Point, Kucherov, Marner, Gallagher are all smaller than 18 year old Cowan.

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The CHL-AHL agreement is stupid and there really should be an "exceptional" clause or something. Cowan has been named MVP for both the regular season and playoffs, had an insane point streak across the regular season and playoffs, and had 34 points in 18 playoff games with multiple multi-point nights in the finals. Really difficult to justify sending him back.

NHL.com, Elite Prospects, and HockeyDB all have him at 5'11" 185lbs. Hockey Reference has him at 5'11" 170lbs, and the OHL website has him at 5'10" 171lbs. For comparison, when Marner made the jump in his draft +2 year (which is where Cowan would be on the development path should he make the jump next season) he was listed as 6'0" 180lbs and he thrived. Granted the pick pedigree is vastly different (Marner 4th overall, Cowan 28th) but since the draft Cowan has received the same accolades as Mitch did and has only raised his stock since the draft.

Really I only care about how he looks in camp and if he can be one of the 12 best forwards on the team, size be damned. Plenty of smaller guys have thrived in the NHL and even if Cowan isn't an everyday player being with the team and having access to the resources the Leafs can provide would probably be better for his development than toiling in the OHL again.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Sure - but what are these weights based on? You're telling me he's already bigger than Marner and Wyatt Johnston (who are both older and taller)?

If so, he's NHL ready today but everyone keeps saying he has to put on weight - including in the London Knights broadcasts - which wouldn't make sense if he was genuinely already 185. There's lots of NHL players who are bigger and not even 185 yet.

Lots of NHL players aren’t even 185 and they look bigger than him, but I’m sure it’s possible. That would mean Marchand, Point, Kucherov, Marner, Gallagher are all smaller than 18 year old Cowan.
People saying “he needs to put on weight” might be the most overused statement for all prospects league wide. Sometimes it’s true, sometimes it’s simply a buzzword for “he isn’t in the NHL yet”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad