Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I just find interesting how football players are forgiven but not baseball

Football asks the largest people on the plane to run into each other every 40 seconds, which is sometimes equivalent to a small car crash. I think there's more forgiveness for football players because we know the sacrifice required of them to entertain us at the highest possible level versus what we require of baseball players.

The science backs this up, too. Playing in the NFL shortens your life. Even if we don't condone, support, or want them using steroids (at least I don't), hard to get too mad if a guy turns to something to help him survive a brutal sport that does incredible, long-lasting physical damage to both the body and the brain.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Football asks the largest people on the plane to run into each other every 40 seconds, which is sometimes equivalent to a small car crash. I think there's more forgiveness for football players because we know the sacrifice required of them to entertain us at the highest possible level versus what we require of baseball players.

The science backs this up, too. Playing in the NFL shortens your life. Even if we don't condone, support, or want them using steroids (at least I don't), hard to get too mad if a guy turns to something to help him survive a brutal sport that does incredible, long-lasting physical damage to both the body and the brain.

I don't care either way to be honest. Steroids are steroids

Reactions: EvilDead

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Blame all the old "sanctity of the game" losers for that one.

I literally don't give a shit that Bonds and all them did it, it saved the game in the 90s IMO.

I think this also gets to why people care about steroids in baseball at all: steroids destroyed the record book, which baseball fans have always cared about. Even when their own team stinks.

More than anything I think the apathy to the record book is why baseball is becoming less and less of a national sport and more of a regional one where people mostly only follow/watch their own team. Even if we knew for a fact Aaron Judge is 100% clean, does it matter if he hits 62 homeruns? Not really.

If someone were chasing the one record that steroids can't touch, Dimaggio's hitting streak, it would be a huge deal in the way homerun chases used to be. Someone flirting with .400 would also get people interested in the sport at large. But in an effort to "save the game," baseball did lasting longterm damage by turning a blind eye (if not outright tacitly approving it) to steroid use.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I think this also gets to why people care about steroids in baseball at all: steroids destroyed the record book, which baseball fans have always cared about. Even when their own team stinks.

More than anything I think the apathy to the record book is why baseball is becoming less and less of a national sport and more of a regional one where people mostly only follow/watch their own team. Even if we knew for a fact Aaron Judge is 100% clean, does it matter if he hits 62 homeruns? Not really.

If someone were chasing the one record that steroids can't touch, Dimaggio's hitting streak, it would be a huge deal in the way homerun chases used to be. Someone flirting with .400 would also get people interested in the sport at large. But in an effort to "save the game," baseball did lasting longterm damage by turning a blind eye (if not outright tacitly approving it) to steroid use.
A lot of this is accurate too.

Just look recently when someone is hovering around a 25-30 game hitting streak. "DiMaggio watch" is on. Distinctly remember Luis Castillo getting some fanfare when he was at 30+ games in 2002.

At the end of the day, steroid era was exactly that, an era of the game. It was widespread, and shouldnt be erased/punished like it has been.

Reactions: BNHL and CDJ

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Just look recently when someone is hovering around a 25-30 game hitting streak. "DiMaggio watch" is on. Distinctly remember Luis Castillo getting some fanfare when he was at 30+ games in 2002.

At the end of the day, steroid era was exactly that, an era of the game. It was widespread, and shouldnt be erased/punished like it has been.

I have no sympathy for any of the players who used steroids and any consequences they've faced since. They broke the rules (MLB did not have testing, but did have rules about no banned substances) but were well compensated for doing so. Meanwhile, they had a huge advantage over other guys who weren't using them, and we'll never know how many of them didn't make it because someone juicing took their spot.

I don't think anyone in ownership, management, and a lot of the baseball press at the time are any better, though. Even the clean players have culpability for not sounding the alarm themselves. They all let it happen and in many ways encouraged it. The owners especially saw it as a quick fix to the damage they caused. (That players strike was more than justified. It was long overdue following collusion.)

The steroid era is a story of only villains and innocent victims. It sacrificed the longterm health of the game for a fast buck and fleeting interest.

If Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens never see the Hall because they filled themselves with designer drugs that turned them into superhumans I don't give a single shit.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

With the widespread acceptance of Bill James and Sabermetrics, traditional stats and such don't have the cache they used to. Paul Goldschmidt is 3 HRs away from the first NL Triple Crown since 1937 right now and it's barely making a dent in the public consciousness. Even when Miggy got the triple crown in 2012 it was just treated as sort of an "oh, that's cool" statistical quirk and not an earth-shattering thing. Because most of us have accepted that batting average holds less weight in determining the effectiveness of a hitter than it used to.

I remember 1998, tv channels would drop everything and go into live cutaways to Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa at-bats by the time August/September came around. It was a big deal. Now, no one cares. A lot of it is the steroid blowback (which was mostly the Bush administration having nothing better to do than to meddle into baseball...or maybe wanting to use that to distract us from what they were actually doing) and a little bit of a cultural issue (I'm not going to say it's a racial thing but I do think if Barry Bonds were more of a clean cut all-american farm boy he wouldn't have gotten half the shit he got), by the time Bonds broke all the records I think the public was over the milestones meaning anything..

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
If I was running the raiders, I'd probably just trade away all my future 1st rounders at this point.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Dont really care about PEDs or steroids. When it comes to football. Dont watch baseball. Some peds help people recover faster from injuries. But its a slippery slope with pain killers and cte.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I have no sympathy for any of the players who used steroids and any consequences they've faced since. They broke the rules (MLB did not have testing, but did have rules about no banned substances) but were well compensated for doing so. Meanwhile, they had a huge advantage over other guys who weren't using them, and we'll never know how many of them didn't make it because someone juicing took their spot.

I don't think anyone in ownership, management, and a lot of the baseball press at the time are any better, though. Even the clean players have culpability for not sounding the alarm themselves. They all let it happen and in many ways encouraged it. The owners especially saw it as a quick fix to the damage they caused. (That players strike was more than justified. It was long overdue following collusion.)

The steroid era is a story of only villains and innocent victims. It sacrificed the longterm health of the game for a fast buck and fleeting interest.

If Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens never see the Hall because they filled themselves with designer drugs that turned them into superhumans I don't give a single shit.
The issue with this take is that the BBWA has selectively decided which PED players they are allowing in, versus those they will not. Which is wrong. The easiest way to deal with it is to accept that it happened, understand that the vast majority of players were using them, even if they didn't test positive or get caught like Bonds and Clemens, and then base the criteria for the Hall of Fame on whether that player was dominant in their era or not. I mean it's laughable that they'll allow Mike Piazza in, when it's well know he was a PED guy, but they won't let Jeff Bagwell in because they suspect he used PEDs. And that's on the fringe guys. Top players like Clemens and Bonds dominated both with and without PEDs. Sosa and McGwire literally saved baseball from itself with their HR chase, and yeah, both guys clearly were using. But again, they still did shit in their era that other guys who were also using did not. I get that's a long ass run on sentence and probably drives the former teacher/professional writer in you nuts, but it's true.

Assume they all did it because most of them did, and make it an either all or nothing thing. Either Bonds/Clemens and other assumed users get in or none of them do.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Tell me the pats bandwagon has emptied without telling me the pats bandwagon has emptied.....

Baseball has taken over the football thread.

Reactions: BMC

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

This is a fantastic post. Completely in the wrong thread, but that said, I couldn't agree more.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The issue with this take is that the BBWA has selectively decided which PED players they are allowing in, versus those they will not. Which is wrong. The easiest way to deal with it is to accept that it happened, understand that the vast majority of players were using them, even if they didn't test positive or get caught like Bonds and Clemens, and then base the criteria for the Hall of Fame on whether that player was dominant in their era or not. I mean it's laughable that they'll allow Mike Piazza in, when it's well know he was a PED guy, but they won't let Jeff Bagwell in because they suspect he used PEDs. And that's on the fringe guys. Top players like Clemens and Bonds dominated both with and without PEDs. Sosa and McGwire literally saved baseball from itself with their HR chase, and yeah, both guys clearly were using. But again, they still did shit in their era that other guys who were also using did not. I get that's a long ass run on sentence and probably drives the former teacher/professional writer in you nuts, but it's true.

Assume they all did it because most of them did, and make it an either all or nothing thing. Either Bonds/Clemens and other assumed users get in or none of them do.

I have lots of thoughts on the BBWA, but I'll share those in a different thread some day.

Reactions: LSCII

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
How many QBs did the Broncos swing and miss on since Manning? All were drafted high.

I think Wilson is washed and that deal won't work out for them but I understand not wanting to go QB shopping.

Sutton and Jeudy aren't anything special and they shouldn't have traded Fant. That offense is going to look like Seattle the last few years IMO.

Its embarrassing how many Patriots fans turned on Tom Brady after 6 Super Bowls when Yoko Bunchen was the one making him betray his coach and move to Florida. Obviously she wanted Miami over Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad