Prospect Info: [2022 - 26th] Filip Mesar (OHL - Kitchener Rangers)

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Good take, how does his game look this year? I haven't watched him play all year just stat watching
I have only been watching extended game highlights of him in the OHL, but from what I've seen he looks solid. Making a lot of plays that don't end up on the stat sheet. As for the WJCs, I must admit I was very impressed with how dominant he was in all phases. I really like that style of player. Tons of skill and pace, but the beauty is in the subtle plays.

He seems like a guy who would benefit greatly from St Louis' tutelage, as long as he shows he deserves that privilege

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
He very well could bust but people throwing the towel on him this fast could be getting served the Slaf crow dish again.

I wonder if anyone like @Tim Wallach or whomever else had eyes on him post head injury when his production slipped.
There is always 1 scapegoat among our prospects group, Mesar swapped position a couple of weeks ago, he is now centering Kitchener 2nd line and playing with Salé who is on the soft side, the chimestry hasnt been quite there yet.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There is always 1 scapegoat among our prospects group, Mesar swapped position a couple of weeks ago, he is now centering Kitchener 2nd line and playing with Salé who is on the soft side, the chimestry hasnt been quite there yet.

I expect Mesar to have a big playoffs.

He mentioned this year he didn't want to slump coming back from the WJC, he got hurt and slumped. I think he needed the mental reset of the playoffs. Mental and consistency is the hurdle because Mesar is very very talented.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

He mentioned this year he didn't want to slump coming back from the WJC, he got hurt and slumped. I think he needed the mental reset of the playoffs. Mental and consistency is the hurdle because Mesar is very very talented.
We will see, he sure needs big playoffs since the last couple of weeks have been underwhelming.

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Personally Im not giving up on Mesar yet and since we have more depth on D, I would use Barron or Harris to move up.
Barron might still have some value (late first/second equivalent see nils lundqvist trade. Harris is probably 3rd rounder equivalent. It all depends how big of a fish we are trading for

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

Mentally soft players dont usually pan out.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have only been watching extended game highlights of him in the OHL, but from what I've seen he looks solid. Making a lot of plays that don't end up on the stat sheet. As for the WJCs, I must admit I was very impressed with how dominant he was in all phases. I really like that style of player. Tons of skill and pace, but the beauty is in the subtle plays.

He seems like a guy who would benefit greatly from St Louis' tutelage, as long as he shows he deserves that privilege

He's got the skating, skill, and vision. Needs to get physically stronger and mature in the pro game. There is some potential with this kid but we need to see a full AHL season first.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
He very well could bust but people throwing the towel on him this fast could be getting served the Slaf crow dish again.

I wonder if anyone like @Tim Wallach or whomever else had eyes on him post head injury when his production slipped.
From my viewings, I don't think it was too much to do with the head injury. I think the addition of Sale and the subtraction of a big body puck retriever from his line hurt a lot. Suddenly he was doing the main puck retrieval role, which isn't his strong suit. With Martin and Swick out, he still is as Sale and Misaljevic aren't puck retrievers.

The positive is that he is the play driver on that line. He has the puck a lot and is always looking to make creative plays. If you find the ideal combo for him, with a puck retriever and a trigger man, he's effective. Right now, the guys he's with just aren't working consistently to present options.

Having said that, he also needs to cut down on the low percentage plays and keep his feet pumping to escape contact. But I'm not giving up on him yet with his creativity and vision. I'd like to see him use his straight line speed more as he peels almost instinctively and the right combination of linemates will be critical for him.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
"I'm not giving up on him just yet"

Screen Shot 2024-04-01 at 12.49.03 PM.png

How can any one be this pessimistic, specially today when he's avg 3 PPG

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Don't worry Mesar, you'll get your chance, just go out there, score 5 PPG every night and maybe, MAYBE, we'll think about you for an AHL tryout.
We just need you to play a little bit more like Todd Bertuzzi
Yeah we need you to be a bit more like George Laraque
If you can mimic Lucic's style of play it would be awesome
Btw have you ever boxed before?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
"I'm not giving up on him just yet"

View attachment 844433

How can any one be this pessimistic, specially today when he's avg 3 PPG
Well because he had a rather pedestrian end to the regular season. He’s 5’10 and 170lbs and doesn’t provide much defensively. So he better show a lot more offensively for us to think he’ll have an impact in the NHL. His PPG in the CHL didn’t really improve much from last year. To classify it as anything other than disappointing would be a mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad