Proposal: 14th + 33rd for a top 10

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Any of those teams biting? How much closer, if at all, to the middle (of the top 10) if the 42nd is added?
Talk to Kevyn Adams -- he needs to make change so he can buy a couple of decent bottom six guys

Eleventh pick isn't top ten, but it's as close as you'll probably get.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Nope. Flames will be looking at one of Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Buium or Dickinson. Those guys will all be gone by 14

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
To Ottawa:
33rd Overall (SJS)
RD - Oliver Bonk (Picked 22nd last year)
RD - Jan Ruuta (2.750 x 1yr)
G - Cal Petersen (5.000 x 1yr)

To PHI:
14th Overall (SJS)
Anton Forsberg (2.750 x 1yr)

To SJS:
7th Overall (OTT)
LD - Erik Brannstrom (RFA)

Summary:
OTT In: 33rd, Bonk, Ruuta, Petersen
OTT Out: 7th, Brannstrom, Forsberg
PHI In: 14th, Forsberg
PHI Out: Bonk, Petersen
SJS In: 7th, Brannstrom
SJS Out: 14th, 33rd, Ruuta

Reactions: Patty Ice

Grinner

May 31, 2022
To Ottawa:
33rd Overall (SJS)

To PHI:
14th Overall (SJS)

To SJS:
7th Overall (OTT)

Summary:
I can see this being popular with many if not most Sharks fans.

Reactions: Patty Ice

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
To Ottawa:
33rd Overall (SJS)

To PHI:
14th Overall (SJS)

To SJS:
7th Overall (OTT)

Summary:
Uhmm yes. Easy yes from SJ.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
To Ottawa:
33rd Overall (SJS)

To PHI:
14th Overall (SJS)

To SJS:
7th Overall (OTT)

Summary:
Ottawa say no thanks.

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Ottaw say no thanks.

I respect your opinion but let me plead my case... (Lol)

Bonk would rise a lot in a redraft and he has the Ottawa connection. He's better than Jiricek, who is what we need but won't take at 7 because he's too much of a reach. We'd probably consider Bonk around 12th overall this year. Plus he's a year closer to NHL ready than any defencemen we can take at 7.

We also get 33rd for 'moving down' to 'pick' Bonk. On top of that, we can play Ruuta over Hamonic which is a rather large bottom pairing upgrade. Brannstrom is a decent piece but holds little value, and I fortunately doesn't really fit well given the rest of the roster. SJS would be a good spot for him.

The goalie swap is to entice Philly to move Bonk, and it allows us to bury Petersen and sign/trade for someone else, or play Sogaard of he's ready.

I'm a Sens fan, and this would be a good hockey trade IMO. Makes the D better now and long-term.

I also like the idea of having 26, 33, and 39 and potentially moving up in the teens with those picks if someone we like falls.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'm interested in what Ottawa fans would think if the Sharks offered 14th, 33rd, and 42nd given that they will have to surrender a 1st at some point in the near future.
Thats a big drop. Probably too big.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This year has a pretty solid top 12. Think it will be hard to get a team out of it for a second
Who is the top-12? From all indications, it’s a top-14 or 15 depending on how you feel about Eiserman.

The drop from 7 to 14 isn’t a drop in talent, it’s a drop in positional need. If you’re okay getting a winger, you could get a lot of value in dropping back that far and essentially getting just as good a prospect, just in a less premium position.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This year has a pretty solid top 12. Think it will be hard to get a team out of it for a second

That's what I'm thinking as well. I think we all have the top 12 or 13 nailed down (at least we think we do..haha). Not much talk about the quality/depth from 12-20 in this draft. Lets face it, fans are not real scouts.

Only way I see a trade like this happening is if a team in the 8-12 range likes the talent from 12-15. I'm doubtful on this but it's not impossible.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

I think it’s 15 deep imo. This draft truly is a wild card after Celebrini. I expect one or two “oh shit” reach picks. I’d prefer a d-man with the 14th pick but would be very happy with an Eiserman or MBN if Grier doesn’t trade up.

Celebrini
Demidov
Silayev
Levshunov
Lindstrom
Buium
Parekh
Iginla
Helenius
Dickinson
Catton
Yakemchuk
Eiserman
Brandsegg-Nygard
Sennecke

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
according to some trade value charts, you can get a 7-8 pick, but a lot depends on who is available there, and how much that team likes them.

Reactions: themelkman

Bond

May 10, 2012
Who is the top-12? From all indications, it’s a top-14 or 15 depending on how you feel about Eiserman.

The drop from 7 to 14 isn’t a drop in talent, it’s a drop in positional need. If you’re okay getting a winger, you could get a lot of value in dropping back that far and essentially getting just as good a prospect, just in a less premium position.
Eiserman is the only one I could see a team trying to reach down for but not sure he is there at 15.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Eiserman is the only one I could see a team trying to reach down for but not sure he is there at 15.

Still didn’t really answer my question, though. According to Bob’s scouts, the drop off is at 15, although that does include Connolly which is why I’m calling it a drop off at 14 or 15 depending on if you include Michael Brandsegg-Nygard in that tier (I do).

Basically, if you aren’t dead-set on a defenseman at 7, then it makes tons of sense to drop back and pick up an early 2nd. Three of Helenius/Catton/Eiserman/Sennecke/Iginla/MBN/Connolly will be available at 14 by my count, and those guys are in the same tier of prospect as the defensemen available at 7. It’s really just the ability to choose your position that separates 7 from 14 in this draft.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
To Ottawa:
33rd Overall (SJS)

To PHI:
14th Overall (SJS)

To SJS:
7th Overall (OTT)

Summary:
I would do this as a Sharks fan but I'd be looking to flip Brannstrom immediately. I don't think he's a fit for the blue line moving forward.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Still didn’t really answer my question, though. According to Bob’s scouts, the drop off is at 15, although that does include Connolly which is why I’m calling it a drop off at 14 or 15 depending on if you include Michael Brandsegg-Nygard in that tier (I do).

Basically, if you aren’t dead-set on a defenseman at 7, then it makes tons of sense to drop back and pick up an early 2nd. Three of Helenius/Catton/Eiserman/Sennecke/Iginla/MBN/Connolly will be available at 14 by my count, and those guys are in the same tier of prospect as the defensemen available at 7. It’s really just the ability to choose your position that separates 7 from 14 in this draft.
My opinion only but I am iffy on Eiserman and think Nygard and Sennecke are a drop off. Draft will be interesting though as that isn't consensus.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
My opinion only but I am iffy on Eiserman and think Nygard and Sennecke are a drop off. Draft will be interesting though as that isn't consensus.
Sorta my point, it’s just your opinion. Industry-wide opinion from NHL scouts is that the drop-off is after 15, that’s all I’m saying.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
To Ottawa:
33rd Overall (SJS)

To PHI:
14th Overall (SJS)

To SJS:
7th Overall (OTT)

Summary:
I would do that but there’s really no need for Brannstrom. He’s about 3 years past when he needed a change of scenery and probably just is what he is now

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I would do that but there’s really no need for Brannstrom. He’s about 3 years past when he needed a change of scenery and probably just is what he is now
I’d still take him. Only 24 and was better last year than the previous few. While he’s a lefty he plays the right side and offers some offense. Could be a good buy low option. While I wouldn’t really give up much in terms of futures for him in a trade like this, I’d be happy.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
These threads seem sorta useless given the strong bias toward prospects and overvaluing specific prospects pre-draft leading to a lot of "no thanks we need X"

In reality, teams have their own ways of determining value of prospects and picks. You may have the 9th overall pick but like 3 guys and feel confident you can grab at least one of them at 14th overall in which case there is added value in getting an extra pick to trade back and walk away with one of your top 3 and essentially an additional late first round pick at 33.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad