Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Plus other Draft talk)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 28 19.2%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 73 50.0%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023
Interesting that they say Silayev as the most NHL ready prospect in the draft based on ability even ahead of Celebrini. Would the Ducks be ok waiting two years for him? He'd be 20 and could step right into the NHL in a top 4 role.
It is interesting because he's thought of by a lot of people as highest variance prospect among the top picks, but it does make sense if you think about it. If his defense is already good enough to be a solid defensive blue liner, he is good enough to play right now. He might not be a great player now because the offense is there, but he should be above replacement level.

To use a cross sports reference, it's a little like an Andrelton Simmons. He was good enough defensively at shortstop that you could put him out there every day without hurting the team even when he wasn't bringing much of anything at the plate. His offense developed to become league average and ins some years, slightly above. When that happened he was an all-star level player. Silayev could be the same. His offense may never develop. That's the risk. If you get a player who is a defensive defenseman at pick 3, that's not a great use of the pick. But if he eventually turns into an average to above average offensive player he will be a very valuable player. If he turns into an offensive weapon, he could be an MVP type player.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
It is interesting because he's thought of by a lot of people as highest variance prospect among the top picks, but it does make sense if you think about it. If his defense is already good enough to be a solid defensive blue liner, he is good enough to play right now. He might not be a great player now because the offense is there, but he should be above replacement level.

To use a cross sports reference, it's a little like an Andrelton Simmons. He was good enough defensively at shortstop that you could put him out there every day without hurting the team even when he wasn't bringing much of anything at the plate. His offense developed to become league average and ins some years, slightly above. When that happened he was an all-star level player. Silayev could be the same. His offense may never develop. That's the risk. If you get a player who is a defensive defenseman at pick 3, that's not a great use of the pick. But if he eventually turns into an average to above average offensive player he will be a very valuable player. If he turns into an offensive weapon, he could be an MVP type player.
I think the offense will develop from him because of his skating, his defense could be overrated.
I see 15 to 20 goals and 25 to 30 assists. When he reaches his physical prime he'll be really hard to knock off the puck and with his skating he'll be able to get his shot off and teams respect his shot and he gets some easy assists cause of it.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If Silayev becomes a perennial top 3 D defensively but only a 15-20 point guy that can play both sides and punish guys physically, I think I'd take that over an elite offense but average defense player. None of our top kids are going to be known for their defense (not saying they'll be bad, but I think their offense/puck moving will be better skills). An elite defensive D would compliment virtually every one of our young D.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Part of me says 3oa is too high for a defensive dman. But there's certainly an argument to be made that we have no one like that in the system, and are unlikely to find that any more than we're likely to find a dynamic offensive player.

I am encouraged that he was able to hold his own in a men's league, and that gives him a certain protectable floor that you don't get from other guys. If he can provide a high level defensive partner to one of our skill guys in the top 4 for the next decade, that's absolutely worth a 3oa investment. Just a question of whether another player is more worth it for what they bring, and would we be better off overdrafting a defensive dman next year when we presumably will not be in the top 3 since we won't have another crack at a Lev or Demidov level talent.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I'm not sure Silayev's offense could get to replacement level based upon the few scouting videos I've watched about Silayev. If he can improve his transition and breakout game, then maybe his special offensive trait is tilting the ice without accruing points like a Hampus Lindholm.

SilayevKHL
SetGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
Total
63​
3​
8​
11​
0.17​
-9​
1 to 9
9​
1​
5​
6​
0.67​
1​
10 to 63
54​
2​
3​
5​
0.09​
-10​

Silayev's production kinda mimic's most rookies debut in a men's league. They start off as a third pairing and look good. But when pushed up in the lineup with more minutes and tough competition, then everything comes crashing back down.

One part of his offense is his pucks get to the net through traffic, but it's like a muffin shot like Fowler. I think that's fine because the more those pucks reach the net, then there's a possibility of rebounds being available.

The offensive production resume for Silayev projects to "below average d-man scoring". Do you take the micro sample or the macro sample Silayev's recorded history to help make your decision?

IMO, Silayev is a shutdown D who might chip in a little bit of offense. His natural development was rushed due to his size and great skating for his size. Now, he's been focusing more on defense than offense at the KHL level. It's kinda like our own Lundestrom, he was so great defensively that he was rushed to the men's league (SHL) and that offense took a backseat. Six years after Lundy got drafted, we're still waiting for that offense to appear and appear consistently at the NHL level.

Reactions: lwvs84 and eaterfan

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Part of me says 3oa is too high for a defensive dman. But there's certainly an argument to be made that we have no one like that in the system, and are unlikely to find that any more than we're likely to find a dynamic offensive player.

I am encouraged that he was able to hold his own in a men's league, and that gives him a certain protectable floor that you don't get from other guys. If he can provide a high level defensive partner to one of our skill guys in the top 4 for the next decade, that's absolutely worth a 3oa investment. Just a question of whether another player is more worth it for what they bring, and would we be better off overdrafting a defensive dman next year when we presumably will not be in the top 3 since we won't have another crack at a Lev or Demidov level talent.

There are shutdown RD's that could be had in the late 1st and early 2nd round in 6'3 Elick (WHL) and 6'3 Emery (US NTDP). There are a couple shutdown RD's in mid-2nd to 3rd rounds in 6'3 Brunicke (WHL) and 6'2 Soini (Liiga/Mestis).

But if you want a shutdown D with average offense that's projectable to the NHL level in the top-10, then you're looking at 6'3 LD Sam Dickinson. I'd consider Dickinson a two-way D, whose strength is in his defensive side. And his skating was one of the tops at the CHL combine event.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
If Silayev becomes a perennial top 3 D defensively but only a 15-20 point guy that can play both sides and punish guys physically, I think I'd take that over an elite offense but average defense player. None of our top kids are going to be known for their defense (not saying they'll be bad, but I think their offense/puck moving will be better skills). An elite defensive D would compliment virtually every one of our young D.
That's not happening. If he is playing 22+ minutes a game he will get more then that just from his TOI once the Ducks start scoring.

I think people need to account where the points come from by the way. Look at Chara. He has 3 50+ point seasons and 9 40+ point seasons. Sounds very offensive right? His best years with ESP were 34, 29, and 28 points. That isn't that far off from Lindholm (36, 28, 26) who we all say was not very offensive at all.

I don't really care if Silayev only gets 20-30 points per season if the reason is because he doesn't get much PP time. We have guys who actually are suited for the PP like Minty and Zellweger. If he can be a 6'7 physical shutdown defensemen that gets 30 points a year then that sounds like a f***ing dream.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

The thing is you can find top end, shutdown D outside of the top-10. One of the more recent shutdown D that has taken the NHL by storm is one of the three candidates for the Calder Trophy in RD Brock Faber. Faber was drafted 45th overall of the 2nd round in the 2020 draft.

We had an elite shutdown RD in Manson, whom we drafted in the 6th round.

With most shutdown d-men, it takes time for them to develop their craft.

If we pick Silayev, then I'd okay with it. I'd prefer Dickinson over Silayev b/c we'd get more projectable offense from Dickinson.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The bigger issue is that defensive ability is possibly the hardest thing to project(and scouts have been mostly bad at it) so banking on that at 3 when it’s so random is probably a bad idea. That said, maybe Silayev has more upside than #2/3 shutdown guy. Playing the role he did at 17 in the KHL is wildly impressive and maybe puts his numbers into better context.

Reactions: JabbaJabba and JAHV

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The thing is you can find top end, shutdown D outside of the top-10. One of the more recent shutdown D that has taken the NHL by storm is one of the three candidates for the Calder Trophy in RD Brock Faber. Faber was drafted 45th overall of the 2nd round in the 2020 draft.

We had an elite shutdown RD in Manson, whom we drafted in the 6th round.

With most shutdown d-men, it takes time for them to develop their craft.

If we pick Silayev, then I'd okay with it. I'd prefer Dickinson over Silayev b/c we'd get more projectable offense from Dickinson.
If the scouting reports are correct then Silayev is a unicorn type of talent who is much more than just a defensive D. If so, the gap between him and the defensive D later in the 1st/2nd would be comparable to the gap between Celebrini and someone like Michael Hage.

Comparisons offensively to someone like Dickinson are tough b/c of the leagues they played in. How many points would Dickinson have scored in the K? How many points would Silayev have scored in the O? It’s all about projection with these guys and imo Silayev has the highest floor and potentially the highest ceiling as well.

Reactions: lwvs84

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023
The bigger issue is that defensive ability is possibly the hardest thing to project(and scouts have been mostly bad at it) so banking on that at 3 when it’s so random is probably a bad idea. That said, maybe Silayev has more upside than #2/3 shutdown guy. Playing the role he did at 17 in the KHL is wildly impressive and maybe puts his numbers into better context.
I haven't been following drafts that long, so I'm not sure of what is meant by projection on the defensive side. Is it more of a translation error or is it pure projection errors. By this, I mean when scouts say "he is already an NHL caliber defender in X league" are those players often not NHL quality defenders? Or is it more when they say "he is a good defender in X league and projects to be a good NHL defenseman" the growth often doesn't happen? Or is it when they say "He has the tools and attitude to be a good defender in the NHL and I think he will be" that it doesn't often happen? Those seem like 3 different groups to me, but maybe they aren't based on history? Silayev seems to be in at least group 2 if not group 1.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I haven't been following drafts that long, so I'm not sure of what is meant by projection on the defensive side. Is it more of a translation error or is it pure projection errors. By this, I mean when scouts say "he is already an NHL caliber defender in X league" are those players often not NHL quality defenders? Or is it more when they say "he is a good defender in X league and projects to be a good NHL defenseman" the growth often doesn't happen? Or is it when they say "He has the tools and attitude to be a good defender in the NHL and I think he will be" that it doesn't often happen? Those seem like 3 different groups to me, but maybe they aren't based on history? Silayev seems to be in at least group 2 if not group 1.
Not sure if this will make sense but to me when scouts talk about projection I always try to get their level of confidence that the player will actually hit their projected outcome. To do that you have to know how scouts "speak". Some of the common phrases from best to worst are "sure thing", "has all the tools", "bit of a project", and "if everything goes perfectly". IMO, on the defensive side Silayev falls into the "sure thing" category. On the offensive side I'd put him in the "has all the tools" category.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
This is what I'm worried about. If you take a hybrid guy like Levshunov at 3 and he doesn't reach his potential, you've still probably got a solid 3rd pairing guy who can get you some points. If Silayev misses on the defensive side, you've got a guy who brings nothing. And shutdown defense, as you say, is really hard to scout.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I am all for an elite forward with our first pick, and shut down defensemen with the Edmonton pick and our own second round pick.
I'm beginning to think that might just be the way to go.

I'm not thrilled with a no offense D man at #3. If Demidov and Lindstrom are more of a sure thing elite F than Lev or others an elite D, then I'd rather they go with the F at #3 and look for the shut down D after that.

Oct 18, 2011

How often do these low offense dmen who are top picks actually turn into top pair level dmen

Oct 18, 2011
I am all for an elite forward with our first pick, and shut down defensemen with the Edmonton pick and our own second round pick.
This makes sense to me. I really like Lindstrom but I understand if the back stuff is a red flag, his medical will be very important.

Demidov would be good with our group too, I think you ask Madden to work his Magic on identifying D later

JonathnTaylorTavares

Feb 4, 2019
Two things that will not surprise me at all at the draft:
1. Chicago taking Demidov at 2OA
2. PV passing on Demidov if Chicago doesn't take him.
It seems like your all in on Silayev now (correct me if I’m wrong) but do you still go Demidov at 3 over him or anyone else?

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It seems like your all in on Silayev now (correct me if I’m wrong) but do you still go Demidov at 3 over him or anyone else?
I don't see PV taking Demidov so I'm not even factoring him into the calculation. He and Silayev are my two top choices though. I like Silayev a bit better than Levshunov. I fear there is a risk with Levshunov that he'll never quite figure out the defensive zone. And the Ducks have more than enough offensive D...they really really need a premier shutdown D who could become something very special beyond just a defensive monster (although I'd be happy with just that).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Chicago has size on it's backend

• Chi towering d-men
    • LD Vlasic is 6'6
      (age 22)
    • RD Jones is 6'4
      (age 29 and 6 years left on his contract)
    • RD Murphy is 6'4
      (age 31 and 2 years left on his contract)
    • LD Del Mastro is 6'4
      (age 21 and spent most of this year in the AHL as a first year pro)
    • RD Sam Rinzel is 6'4
      (age 19 and in college, finished freshman year)

Rinzel finished with 28 points and a +23 rating for Minny. He led the team in +/- as a 19-year old rookie! For perspective, Lev had 35 points and a +27 rating for Michigan State as an 18-year old rookie. Chicago is doing well in draft d-men outside the top-10. Rinzel went 25th overall in 2022. Del Mastro was drafted in the 4th round of the 2021 draft. Vlasic got snatched up in the 2nd round of the 2019 draft and he's playing top pairing minutes!

LD Korchinski is 6'1, according to Hockey-Reference and ESPN. EP still lists him at 6'3, which was his draft height. huh...

Now, let's look at Chicago's forwards this season in the NHL

Chicago​
Forwards​
in Top-10​
Scoring​
Rank​
Player​
Position​
Age​
Height​
Points​
1​
Bedard​
C​
18​
5'10​
61​
2​
Kurashev​
C​
24​
6'0​
54​
3​
Foligno​
LW​
36​
6'0​
37​
4​
Dickinson​
C​
28​
6'2​
35​
5​
T. Johnson​
C​
33​
5'8​
31​
7​
Donato​
C​
27​
6'0​
30​
8​
Anderson​
RW​
25​
6'0​
17​
9​
Reichel​
LW​
21​
6'0​
16​
Extra​
Nazar​
C​
20​
5'9​
1​

Nazar was just signed after his college season ended. He was one of two Chicago top forward prospects who weren't in the pros (AHL/NHL) yet. The other is C Oliver Moore in the NCAA (Minnesota). Moore is 5'11.

The Blackhawks put up the fewest GF last year in the league with 179 goals. Anaheim had 204 goals last year and we considered that's a terrible offensive output for us. Defensively, the 'Hawks finished with the 4th worst GA record with 290 GA. Oddly enough, we boast the vast improvement in our GA this year from 338 to 295 GA. Our GA was worse than the Blackhawks.

Chicago has an odd dynamic were they have a lot of oompa lumpas at forward and Ents on the backend. Demidov can add some serious scoring power at the wing or Chicago can address their center depth with 6'4 Lindstrom, who also can score.

'Hawks also owns the 20th OA and the 34th OA in the 2024 draft.

For the most bang for buck, Chicago can probably generate more offense from either Demidov or Lindstrom than from any defensemen in the draft. Maybe double up on scoring forwards with the 20th overall with the likes of 6'2 LW Chernyshov, 6'1 LW Connelly, 6'1 C Hage, and 6'2 C Boisvert potentially available.

If Chicago does want a tall, RD with some offense at #20 overall, then 6'3 RD Badinka has been skyrocketing up the charts. MyNHLdraft has Badinka at 28th OA, Pronman (the Athletic) has Badinka at 22nd OA, and Horn (the Hockey Writers) has him at 23rd OA.

Although, I really like what they have collected so far with youth d-men: LD Vlasic (shutdown), LD Korchinski (OFD), LD Del Mastro (shutdown), and RD Rinzel (two-way). There are a few shutdown RD's that can be had at 34th overall with 6'3 Elick, 6'3 Emery, or 6'3 Brunicke potentiall at the 60th pick (originally Nashville's).

Should the Hawks look longer term, then the 2025 draft has two RD's currently projected to go in the top-8. Early projections from Wheeler has the 2025 draft similar to the 2024 draft, one tier 1 prospect and then 12 tier 2 prospects.

Interesting post

Hawks also have on backend in NHL or in pipeline

Louis Crevier (6'8) - 7th round, 2020
Taige Harding (6'6) - 3rd round, 2021
Isaak Phillips (6'3) - 5th round, 2020
Nolan Allan (6'2) - 1st round, 2022

And then the shrimp of our blueline prospects
Wyatt Kaiser (6'0) - 3rd round, 2020

As a Hawks fan I want Demidov. Hawks need more blue-chip talent up front in system and have draft capital to pick a Dman or two later if need be. If Hawks go with Levshunov it would be fine as well. Any wildcard (Buium or Dickinson or a few others) at #2 would feel like a poor use of #2 pick. If hawks want one of those guys they can get them by trading down a few slots IMO

Hawks have plenty of picks in this years early rounds

And then coming drafts

Hawks 1st
Leafs 1st (Top 10 protected)
Hawks 2nd
Stars 2nd
Hawks 3rd

Hawks 1st
Hawks 2nd
Stars 2nd
Islanders 2nd
Hawks 3rd

Curious on Ducks front so I was reading in here

I figure whoever is there between Demidov or Levshunov the Ducks would gleefully run up to grab. I think it's clear Celebrini + Demidov + Levshunov are a bit separate from pack honestly

I hope Hawks avoid Silayev. I am just not sold on him with his offensive game being so limited

As a mid 1st rounder = Sure

But any team spending a top 5 pick on him I think will regret it and scouts are a bit too obsessed with this search for the next "Chara" and he feels like result of that type of thinking

Surprised to see him as #3 in your poll

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Underway with our third and final mock draft of the season. Hawks went with Demidov at #2 and after some negotiations trying to acquire Noah Dobson in a package involving #3, I ended up selecting Anton Silayev.

Prepare to be angry if you already would have preferred Levshunov. Vegas had acquired pick #11 from Buffalo and then moved up to #7 to grab Lev.

In the mean time I had Colorado message me about Gibson, ended up moving him for Manson and Georgiev in a straight two for one. They save 1.5M in cap and should see more stability in net if Gibby can rebound.

Then immediately had NJ reach out about Georgiev and flipped him for pick #75 and RW prospect Leeni Hameenaho, a second rounder from a year ago who had a great D+1 in SM Liiga (Silf type upside?)

Started contacting teams about mid first round picks to get into that top 15 tier and ended up moving the EDM 1st (#24) and Boston 2nd (#59) to move up to #15. Came down to a choice between Greentree and MBN, I went with RW Brandsegg-Nygard who plays that heavier pro style game already.

Would have been content to stay at #35 where some interesting RHD would be available, but Jiricek started to drop and there's reason to believe his upside is a tier above the late first/early second round guys. Sent pick 35+the acquired pick 75 to COL for #25 to grab Jiricek.

1) SJ - Celebrini
2) CHI - Demidov
3) ANA* - Silayev
4) CLB - Catton
5) MTL - Lindstrom
6) UT? - Buium
7) VGK - Levshunov
8) SEA - Dickinson
9) CGY - Yakemchuk
10) NJ - Helenius
11) OTT - Parekh
12) PHI - Iginla
13) MIN - Sennecke
14) SJ - Eiserman
15) ANA* - Brandsegg - Nygard
16) STL - Greentree
17) WHS - Basha
18) NYI - Letourneau
19) OTT - Boisvert
20) CHI - Freij
21) CGY - Elick (pick acquired from LA as part of a deal for Markstrom)
22) NSH - Chernysov
23) NYI - Solberg
24) TB - Hage
25) ANA* - Jiricek
26) OTT - Beaudoin

That's where we're at so far
I’d be pretty happy with all of this cept saliyec

Interesting post

Hawks also have

As a Hawks fan I want Demidov. Hawks need more blue-chip talent up front in system and have draft capital to pick a Dman or two later if need be. If Hawks go with Levshunov it would be fine as well. Any wildcard (Buium or Dickinson or a few others) at #2 would feel like a poor use of #2 pick. If hawks want one of those guys they can get them by trading down a few slots IMO

And then coming drafts

Hawks 1st
Hawks 2nd
Stars 2nd
Hawks 3rd

Hawks 1st
Hawks 2nd
Stars 2nd
Islanders 2nd
Hawks 3rd

I figure whoever is there between Demidov or Levshunov the Ducks would gleefully run up to grab. I think it's clear Celebrini + Demidov + Levshunov are a bit separate from pack honestly

I hope Hawks avoid Silayev. I am just not sold on him with his offensive game being so limited

But any team spending a top 5 pick on him I think will regret it and scouts are a bit too obsessed with this search for the next "Chara" and he feels like result of that type of thinking

I agree about saliyev…. But a lot of our fan base likes big players

I would rather go yakemchuk than saliyev

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Interesting post

Hawks also have

And then coming drafts

Hawks 1st
Hawks 2nd
Stars 2nd
Hawks 3rd

Hawks 1st
Hawks 2nd
Stars 2nd
Islanders 2nd
Hawks 3rd

Regarding Silayev, how do you explain the CSB having him ranked ahead of Demidov? How do you explain McKenzie having Silayev right behind Demidov and ahead of Levshunov? Me thinks you are stat watching too much.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Regarding Silayev, how do you explain the CSB having him ranked ahead of Demidov? How do you explain McKenzie having Silayev right behind Demidov and ahead of Levshunov? Me thinks you are stat watching too much.

Every year there seems to be someone who is overrated/hyped because of size and comps to NHL players

Remember Luke Schenn draft year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad