Who's blowing a 3-1 series lead?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The last three seasons have seen someone lose in the first round after having a 3-1 series lead (2021 was Toronto to Montreal, 2022 was Pittsburgh to the Rangers, 2023 was Boston to Florida).

We have several options for this year so which one is it going to be?
Vancouver's goalie situation makes them prime candidates.

Reactions: Summer Rose

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Vancouver's goalie situation makes them prime candidates.
Evened out by Nashville's forward situation tbh. Canucks as a team will be able to play well enough to shelter any goalie from the Predators' offense. At least to the point of not losing 3 straight games.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Preds have the best chance as they absolutely should be 2-2 right now and they have goaltending question marks.

I wouldn’t bet on it though

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Anything can happen but I think all are unlikely.
LA and Nashville really should be tied in the series but it’s hard to see either of them coming back given their offensive struggles.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No series 2-2 and a possibility of 6 of the 8 series ending in 5 games is not good. Seems rather short this first round and we all know the first round is by far the best round.
League loses a lot of revenue with short series. IMO we see series management to get more games.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Can't see any of the 3-1 teams losing at this stage.

If forced to say one I would say Boston if the Leafs finally get their collective heads out of their butts and wake. Boston is very beatable but the Leafs can't get out of their own heads.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The thing about a 3-1 lead is that it isn't a bad bet for them all to advance.

If I had to pick one, I don't think the 3-1 lead is necessarily indicative of how the Vancouver series has gone. It's been pretty close and I think it's possible that Nashville could get back in it.

The Carolina series has also been pretty close but I don't know if I can see that experienced Canes team blowing a lead like that.

Of all the teams down 3-1, everyone but Winnipeg has to play two games on the road, and I think Winnipeg has looked furthest off the pace.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
It isn't going to be Avs. Slowly becoming a fan of their team. Heart and Soul. Sarcastic fans though but I can put up with that. LOL

They're a fun team to watch and admire.

No disrespect to the Jets though. I actually feel bad for Jets fans.

I can still see Bruins/Leafs going to Game 7 just because it's Bruins/Leafs with Bruins obviously winning though.
Not a chance. The Leafs are the most "woke" team in the league. Bunch of whiny p***yes. I'm a Leafs fan.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Lightning win tonight, maybe but....
  • Lightning skills, goalie play, playoff experience, having heart of champion, promising young players, team streaky all yr, and Lightning actually believing they can.
  • Might be ingredients needed to pull-off nearly impossible 0-4 series comeback but.... 0-4 is such a very, very, very tall hill to climb though!
  • This Lightning "Core" have done great things in playoffs, and if there's "Core" to where one was faced with....."What "Core" in today's game would you want, when attempting comeback from 0-4 series deficient?" Or one dies if "Core" fails!!! Lightning "Core"would be my choice, for more reasons than just being a hopeful Lightning fan.
  • Afraid Lightning blew their chance to win series though: One could tell Jon Cooper felt this at game 3 post conference also. He's watched Lightning lose series swinging games beforehand, that happen during close series, for 2 years in-a-row now (Most likely 3 soon).
  • Like game 4 loss SCF -vs- Ave's >> Lightning let 2-1 lead in 3rd period @ home and game slipped away = Lost in OT 3-2 (Lightning down 1-3 -vs- 2-2 series)
  • Like game 4 loss 1st rd -vs- Leafs >> Lightning let 4-1 lead in 3rd period lead @ home and game slipped away = Lost in OT 5-4 ( Lightning down 3-1 -vs- 2-2 series)
  • Like game 3 loss 1st rd -vs- Florida >> Lightning with game 2-2 did not take full advantage of momentum & PP breaks in 2nd period >> That had Lightning behind 2-3 going into 3rd instead of lead. (Lightning down 0-3 -vs- 1-2 series)
  • All series swing games, Lightning lost them all with new supporting cast and "Core:"
  • Lightning can build good playoff mojo with win tonight. Lightning's young bunch back in 2015 playoffs lost game 5 @ home 0-4 -vs- Detroit. Lightning's young team were crushed while thinking they had failed. That young Lightning won next 2: they rode that good mojo to SCF's and started 8 year playoff run for the ages. Good mojo, and getting fresh breath of air, when it looks like one is done for matters in playoffs.
  • Florida's road good mojo to SCF's last year started with 1-3 comeback in 1st rd and other NHL teams have rode good mojo wave.
  • Perspective >> one can seize opportunity to do something special, that's very rarely done, or ball-up and cry when faced with low odds. Will Lightning seize it and start some good mojo themselves? Time will tell, it always does.

Plus, seen Lightning on both sides of fence with how games are called. Excuse me... are "Managed" but no matter, great teams overcome whatever is thrown their way (Lightning have in the past and Florida just did this during game 3 this series). If Lightning have favor again, or are on other side of this, they have to take full advantage, stop it, or that's it. No more room for errors or waste opportunities!!! With most series at 1-3, not sure what type of game will be called tonight,

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It isn't going to be Avs. Slowly becoming a fan of their team. Heart and Soul. Sarcastic fans though but I can put up with that. LOL

They're a fun team to watch and admire.

No disrespect to the Jets though. I actually feel bad for Jets fans.

Not a chance. The Leafs are the most "woke" team in the league. Bunch of whiny p***yes. I'm a Leafs fan.
I wouldn’t say the Leaf players are all like you describe (entitled) but a couple do seem to be. The Jets have come up against a couple superstars who don’t play like they’re entitled. Mac and Mak play hard on and off pucks and add their elite skills to that. Their skill isn’t what drives them. It’s what separates them.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I can't say I see many of their opponents even getting a 2nd win, let alone coming back and winning the series.

Like someone mentioned hopefully the Stars can tie it 2-2 tonight so we don't have yet another series become 3-1.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I wouldn’t say the Leaf players are all like you describe (entitled) but a couple do seem to be. The Jets have come up against a couple superstars who don’t play like they’re entitled. Mac and Mak play hard on and off pucks and add their elite skills to that. Their skill isn’t what drives them. It’s what separates them.
I'd say heart is what separates the Av's and the Leafs. The Leafs are not a likeable team, the Av's are very likeable. The Jets are likeable too, even though they're down like the Leafs are but Boston is not Colorado.

You're right, not all of them are like that. Seems their star players are....excluding Nylander.

Last edited:

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I find it hard to see any of the teams with a 3-1 lead blowing it, but I'll run through the list.

-Winnipeg may have the best chance of the three. Colorado's really scary when they can control the play and rather dominated the Jets in game 4. However, Hellebuyck, despite his performance so far in the playoffs, is a good goalie and could very well steal a game or two. Georgiev, after getting lit up in game 1, has been pretty solid, but is still a bit of a question mark. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

-I'm just not seeing it with Toronto. Swayman has been great and Toronto is not doing well with their power play chances. It's gone really cold. However, just because the hockey gods are weird sometimes, I could see this getting to a game 7, with Toronto losing game 7.

-Nashville lost a heartbreaker in game 4, blowing a two-goal lead late and losing in overtime where they had a really good chance to even the series with a home win instead. Vancouver's goaltending carousel is their biggest weakness going forward in the rest of the series, but they've played quite admirably in front of DeSmith and Silovs. I'm not really seeing Nashville taking 3 in a row.

-Tampa Bay is thin on depth but still has a decent core and a decent goalie. Them being down 3-0 before avoiding the sweep aside, you never know. However, Bobrovsky is a really good goalie and has been playing well this series. I highly doubt he turns into a pumpkin to allow the reverse sweep, and could very well just "goalie" the Bolts into one more win to cap off the series.

-The New York Islanders have actually kept all four games reasonably close, including blowing their 3-0 lead in one game. Carolina has an edge over them, but it's not a huge edge due to their play style. Each game might as well be a coin flip, but you never know, they could get lucky. That said, I don't like their chances either.
There seems to a series missing....Don't worry I'll cover it.

LA is not coming back.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan