Who'll stop The Reign: The 2023-24 Ontario Reign Thread

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That 2nd goal is....one of the things Portillo needs to work on, along with his Storr beached whale tendency

that's not to say he hasn't been awesome only that for those who are clamoring for him to get to the NHL NOW he has some clear thngs to work on that NHL shooters would hvae a field day with

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
That 2nd goal is....one of the things Portillo needs to work on, along with his Storr beached whale tendency

that's not to say he hasn't been awesome only that for those who are clamoring for him to get to the NHL NOW he has some clear thngs to work on that NHL shooters would hvae a field day with
i've been kinda surprised by how much people pump his tires. for such a big space-taker-upper he sure manages to find a way to make himself play small

usually i'm kinda on the "results trump appearance" train but he doesn't exactly inspire confidence for me

Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i've been kinda surprised by how much people pump his tires. for such a big space-taker-upper he sure manages to find a way to make himself play small

usually i'm kinda on the "results trump appearance" train but he doesn't exactly inspire confidence for me

My big complaints with him are he doesn't compact well--tons of leaky holes--and when he goes down he like almost always ends up on his stomach swimming around

those are fixable things and obviously there's tons of progress, he's riding high right now, but when i see HOW goals go in on him I go 'oh yeah'

I have hopes for him, don't get me wrong, this is pretty uber critical for an undefeated goalie. I just hope they don't rush him because imagine NHL shooters picking corners instead of repeatedly jamming the puck into him. He'll fall apart. Think Petersen's glove.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

FWIW he seems to have cleaned up his technique a bit. I agree he needs to stop playing small in the net, but he used to swim like Cechmanek. So, hopefully he'll continue to improve that.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Portillo looks like he needs to work on his core strength. When he goes down he has a tendency for his upper body to drop forward instead of staying upright.

You can tell it's a core strwngth issue because he does the dead giveaway of his butt ending up close to his skates when he goes into his butterfly.

It throws his whole upper body off and makes it hard to recover, as well as opens up holes.

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
Portillo has things to work on but there are some things you’re only going to discover at the NHL level. You’re not going to learn not to tuck your shoulder when a guy is going behind the net if you’re not playing against players that can exploit it, for example.

In other words, I don’t think it’s possible to “rush” a 24 year old goaltender and to think so is to buy into the Kings’ framing on the matter. If he fails it’s because he’s not good enough.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Portillo will be given a shot out of camp to be backup and with Kings goaltending going in and out like the tide, he could end up being the starter.

Especially if the Reign get past Coachella.

Sturm could also earn a call up.

Reactions: lumbergh

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Most comments so far even from Blake and Fox point to Portillo spending another year in the AHL. He might get a few games in case of an injury next season.

The Kings slow roll their goalies. Always have. It’s a smart move.

Reactions: funky

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Most comments so far even from Blake and Fox point to Portillo spending another year in the AHL. He might get a few games in case of an injury next season.

True but Portillo is already approaching 24 years old.

Notable playoff performance thus far and facing off against the champs next.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008

Yep. Better to let Portillo play a few games up in the NHL and continue to develop/work on his game

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad