Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
It'd be a pretty dull lead up to the draft if everyone held hands and talked about their shared love for Ivan Demidov
1715810892100.gif

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It'd be a pretty dull lead up to the draft if everyone held hands and talked about their shared love for Ivan Demidov
I think it's more about how you latch onto guys like a baby latches onto its Mom's nipple, and annoyingly post about it endlessly, in absolutes, as if whatever you say is fact, and no one else on here can actually judge talent. Not being an ass, just pointing out what people take issue with when it comes to your posting around the draft.

There is plenty of diversity in who people want picked at #2, and plenty of discussion about it.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think it's more about how you latch onto guys like a baby latches onto its Mom's nipple, and annoyingly post about it endlessly, in absolutes, as if whatever you say is fact, and no one else on here can actually judge talent. Not being an ass, just pointing out what people take issue with when it comes to your posting around the draft.

There is plenty of diversity in who people want picked at #2, and plenty of discussion about it.
I've been very clear in stating there's a core 8.

8 viable picks at the #2 spot.

I have my favourites.

The people that are locked in to Demidov at #2 are the ones that aren't open minded.

I'd actually disagree with your last point. I don't think there's much diversity in the discussion at all. I'm one of the only ones presenting a different POV.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
@Taze em likes Levshunov
@hawksrule likes Buium
Myself likes Demidov, but also likes Catton
@Pez68 doesn't like anyone /s
@Kevin Musto likes Silayev
@JaegerDice likes Parekh
Fiddy likes Lindstrom
@DisgruntledHawkFan likes Catton too

There are plenty of different opinions out there. Larmer has his opinion, Darkstar, Warrior. There are others who engage in prospect discussion as well I just threw names that I remembered off the top.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I've been very clear in stating there's a core 8.

8 viable picks at the #2 spot.

I have my favourites.

The people that are locked in to Demidov at #2 are the ones that aren't open minded.

I'd actually disagree with your last point. I don't think there's much diversity in the discussion at all. I'm one of the only ones presenting a different POV.
I'd say read all 34 pages of this thread. I've seen guys swear on Lev, guys swear on Iginla, guys swear on Demidov, guys swear on all sorts of picks at #2.

Just look at the poll. Yeah, there's a large chunk that want Demidov. He has 123 votes. Other options have a combined 70 votes, though, so I'd say there is plenty of diverse thinking about this pick. Just my opinion.

@Taze em likes Levshunov
@hawksrule likes Buium
@JaegerDice likes Parekh
Fiddy likes Lindstrom

There are plenty of different opinions out there. Larmer has his opinion, Darkstar, Warrior. There are others who engage in prospect discussion as well I just threw names that I remembered off the top.
:laugh: @ the bolded. Well-played, sir.

I like Demidov, but also like Buium and Catton. I'd probably not be mad at any of those picks, but would prefer one of the first two. I'm not engaging in a ton of discussion about it because outside of highlight videos, and the NCAA playoffs, I haven't seen a ton of these guys.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Shifting back to the Demidov injury concerns here's both of last season's injuries (the recent one was posted earlier in the thread):

@1:55 in the vid.

Kinda funky that both looked like avoidable cases of not holding up and trying to do too much. Might be under a lot of pressure to do everything himself but you also hope he gets a filter in the future.

Reactions: Mrfenn92 and Pez68

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
@Taze em likes Levshunov
@hawksrule likes Buium
@JaegerDice likes Parekh
Fiddy likes Lindstrom

and Tij

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I recognize more names here under the Demidov voters than the Levshunov voters, but there's also a lot more voters in general.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
got home from work any discussion about Kantserov talking about Demidov in the Athletic?. A little scary on the SKA stuff.

I like levshunov best but Demidov is great too. Just my preference. But I’d like to have a player that is here and isn’t Kaprizoving us. That’s too long to be without that talent we will be learned losers by then.

BHawks77

Mar 22, 2023
Can't say that I have seen enough of video on all these prospects but really like Demidov and the possible upside he might have. Also like Catton and Dickinson. They all seem like gamers I could see Hawks selecting.

Cant wait for the draft to see how it goes!!

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
got home from work any discussion about Kantserov talking about Demidov in the Athletic?. A little scary on the SKA stuff.

I like levshunov best but Demidov is great too. Just my preference. But I’d like to have a player that is here and isn’t Kaprizoving us. That’s too long to be without that talent we will be learned losers by then.

The Blackhawks have the second pick in the draft, and Ivan Demidov is one of the players who could go early. What do you know about him? I think you played against him some in the MHL.

Unfortunately, there are some circumstances with St. Petersburg SKA. I would say they’re creating some hurdles for him to come to the NHL and to be selected in the draft. So hopefully it’s all going to be resolved and he get his chance to play in NHL. But he has another year of playing for SKA, and hopefully after that, they will let him come to the NHL and he gets his chance to play in the NHL because he’s a brilliant player on the ice.

via Scott Powers article today from Kantserov through an interpreter.

Find a high pick that was really good at a young age that teams had to wait 5 years for, it doesn't happen.
But, no Russian factor, right?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
doesnt feel like a particularly great situation when theres no consensus at all on this pick among hf hawks, hopefully not a sign of being a one player draft wrt truly blue chip talent being acquired at a high probability, Celebrini seems to be the only guy people agree on, and theres plenty of smart people here that see the same tape and data the front office is working with so can only imagine the debates going on with the pick

But, no Russian factor, right?
yeah theyre not going near that situation if theres no clear gap between demidov and the rest of potential picks at 2, "hopefully they will let him come" says a lot, move on to other options, this org has holes everywhere and is still a ways out from being good

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
doesnt feel like a particularly great situation when theres no consensus at all on this pick among hf hawks, hopefully not a sign of being a one player draft wrt truly blue chip talent being acquired at a high probability, Celebrini seems to be the only guy people agree on, and theres plenty of smart people here that see the same tape and data the front office is working with so can only imagine the debates going on with the pick

yeah theyre not going near that situation if theres no clear gap between demidov and the rest of potential picks at 2, "hopefully they will let him come" says a lot, move on to other options
Said it before, but this draft reminds me of 2019.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Said it before, but this draft reminds me of 2019.
if thats the case then maybe you trade down a few spots and hopefully get at least another 1st from it or you shop it to the highest bidder for a young NHL asset that can immediately enter the core and address a need (Bedard winger)...Brady Tkachuk? Already an 80 pt player, Bedard is worth an extra 5-20 pts, then you're potentially talking Matt Tkachuk type asset signed to term

Last edited:

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019

Some highlights from the article. (this is about Kantserov)

"What went into your decision to sign a two-year extension in the KHL?

(Interpreter) He said that he signed the extension in December, and the main goal was he thinks that he’s still too young to kind of like to go to the NHL and wants a little more time to boil in the KHL and go through the process and get more accustomed to like adult hockey, like more the men’s side of the hockey. And a lot of young players in Russia are follow in the footsteps of (Kirill) Kaprizov. (Artemi) Panarin wasn’t drafted, obviously, but the same kind of like when he went when he was older to the league, and that’s why he decided to stay. Who knew that they’re going to go win the championship cup at the end of the season? But since he signed the extension, he feels responsible to fulfill that promise and that contract. That’s why he’s going to stay and play. And hopefully he’s going to be ready to come in and play in the NHL right away and get his chance in the main league."

"I don’t know if you’re aware but some Blackhawks fans get nervous about a KHL extension. The Blackhawks don’t have a great history with signing their Russian prospects in recent history. They get worried that you won’t come over.

(Interpreter) So, first of all, it was his childhood dream to get to the NHL, so I think he’s really proud that he has an opportunity to do so, even though it’s not right away. And he’s hearing about the fact for the first time that younger players from Russia do not go over to Chicago. The main plan was to win the (Gagarin) Cup, and they accomplished the goal in his own city, so he feels that he has no sort of restrictions to transition to NHL. But when he was meeting with the Chicago Blackhawks staff and not only the head coaching staff but also mental coaches and video coaches, they were having conversations about the fact that he’s probably going to sign for another year or two to stay in KHL. So from what I understand it, they were aware of the fact that he’s planning on signing. But like I mentioned earlier, it’s his childhood dream and he wants to come to NHL and play here."

"Did you get a chance to watch the Blackhawks and Bedard this season?

(Kantserov in English) Yeah, like after every game, maybe if I have a time, I open YouTube, searching Sportnet, looking for highlights. Chicago, I don’t think they always play good. I see how they’re usually losing games, but I see how Bedard is shooting, how he’s skates, how he thinks. I see the other guys, Philipp Kurashev, Nick Foligno, and I like it. Maybe I have a chance in two years to play with the big guys and help."

"The Blackhawks have the second pick in the draft, and Ivan Demidov is one of the players who could go early. What do you know about him? I think you played against him some in the MHL.

(Interpreter) He is saying congratulations to the Chicago Blackhawks in the second pick. He’s really happy for the team. He does know Demidov. He doesn’t know him as well, but he definitely is aware of the fact that he is a great skater, a great shooter, everything you can only mention in the young player and the huge prospect and player he is. Unfortunately, there are some circumstances with St. Petersburg SKA. I would say they’re creating some hurdles for him to come to the NHL and to be selected in the draft. So hopefully it’s all going to be resolved and he get his chance to play in NHL. But he has another year of playing for SKA, and hopefully after that, they will let him come to the NHL and he gets his chance to play in the NHL because he’s a brilliant player on the ice."

"You seem to have improved your English since last time we talked. Have you been working on that?

(Kantserov in English) Yeah, a little bit. I try and watch English movies, NHL highlights. I study hockey slang for key words like corner, slot, rush, English words and hockey language. And also always trying to talk with Robin Press and Luke Johnson. Luke is an American guy. We always talk. He told me, Roman, you have good English, improve your English in the U.S. and guys like it."

Reactions: clydesdale line

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Yes you can, there's barely any offense there.
I thought the joke was that he's 6'7", e.g. there's no ceiling lol

@Taze em likes Levshunov
@hawksrule likes Buium
@JaegerDice likes Parekh
Fiddy likes Lindstrom

• Haha

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Some highlights from the article. (this is about Kantserov)

"What went into your decision to sign a two-year extension in the KHL?

(Interpreter) He said that he signed the extension in December, and the main goal was he thinks that he’s still too young to kind of like to go to the NHL and wants a little more time to boil in the KHL and go through the process and get more accustomed to like adult hockey, like more the men’s side of the hockey. And a lot of young players in Russia are follow in the footsteps of (Kirill) Kaprizov. (Artemi) Panarin wasn’t drafted, obviously, but the same kind of like when he went when he was older to the league, and that’s why he decided to stay. Who knew that they’re going to go win the championship cup at the end of the season? But since he signed the extension, he feels responsible to fulfill that promise and that contract. That’s why he’s going to stay and play. And hopefully he’s going to be ready to come in and play in the NHL right away and get his chance in the main league."

"I don’t know if you’re aware but some Blackhawks fans get nervous about a KHL extension. The Blackhawks don’t have a great history with signing their Russian prospects in recent history. They get worried that you won’t come over.

(Interpreter) So, first of all, it was his childhood dream to get to the NHL, so I think he’s really proud that he has an opportunity to do so, even though it’s not right away. And he’s hearing about the fact for the first time that younger players from Russia do not go over to Chicago. The main plan was to win the (Gagarin) Cup, and they accomplished the goal in his own city, so he feels that he has no sort of restrictions to transition to NHL. But when he was meeting with the Chicago Blackhawks staff and not only the head coaching staff but also mental coaches and video coaches, they were having conversations about the fact that he’s probably going to sign for another year or two to stay in KHL. So from what I understand it, they were aware of the fact that he’s planning on signing. But like I mentioned earlier, it’s his childhood dream and he wants to come to NHL and play here."

"Did you get a chance to watch the Blackhawks and Bedard this season?

(Kantserov in English) Yeah, like after every game, maybe if I have a time, I open YouTube, searching Sportnet, looking for highlights. Chicago, I don’t think they always play good. I see how they’re usually losing games, but I see how Bedard is shooting, how he’s skates, how he thinks. I see the other guys, Philipp Kurashev, Nick Foligno, and I like it. Maybe I have a chance in two years to play with the big guys and help."

"The Blackhawks have the second pick in the draft, and Ivan Demidov is one of the players who could go early. What do you know about him? I think you played against him some in the MHL.

(Interpreter) He is saying congratulations to the Chicago Blackhawks in the second pick. He’s really happy for the team. He does know Demidov. He doesn’t know him as well, but he definitely is aware of the fact that he is a great skater, a great shooter, everything you can only mention in the young player and the huge prospect and player he is. Unfortunately, there are some circumstances with St. Petersburg SKA. I would say they’re creating some hurdles for him to come to the NHL and to be selected in the draft. So hopefully it’s all going to be resolved and he get his chance to play in NHL. But he has another year of playing for SKA, and hopefully after that, they will let him come to the NHL and he gets his chance to play in the NHL because he’s a brilliant player on the ice."

"You seem to have improved your English since last time we talked. Have you been working on that?

(Kantserov in English) Yeah, a little bit. I try and watch English movies, NHL highlights. I study hockey slang for key words like corner, slot, rush, English words and hockey language. And also always trying to talk with Robin Press and Luke Johnson. Luke is an American guy. We always talk. He told me, Roman, you have good English, improve your English in the U.S. and guys like it."
Robin Press and Luke Johnson...aren't they former Hawks?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad