Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That has always been a factor with foreign players playing in mens leagues and its not specific to Russia.

And if we're talking Demidov he refused to sign an extensiom specifically because he wants to be in the NHL ASAP. So in his case 1 year. I dont know the details of Silayevs contract but it takes big defenseman 3-4 years to develop anyways so i'd be fine letting him stay in the KHL 3 more years.
It's fine if they draft them knowing that they want to come here, we don't have all that info, so we can only guess at this point.

Nikishin has refused to come over so far, probably the top Hurricane prospect. Kaprizov took forever, Hawks had 2 prospects from Russia that have refused to come over (and you cant tell me they wouldnt have made our shit teams over the last 5 years), Danilla Yurov (2022 pick 1st rounder) just signed an extension in the KHL.

Teams want to get their prospects into their system early, not wait 4 or 5 years. I bet a lot of these Russian kids would get drafted earlier if they came out of Canada or the US. They have a built in drop in the scouting rankings because of that Russian factor, and not being able to scout them properly.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I mean I personally don’t care as much about AHL vs KHL. Both are fine for development. You see borderline players choose the safety of the KHL. You don’t see star NHL caliber players stay.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
If nothing else he seems like he's got high offensive awareness and a great motor. Gotta love a kid with high skill who is always thinking about making some sort of play happen.

I watch a bunch of his playoff games and there's more to his game than only offense. He worked just as hard and consistent on defense than he did on offense. I've read where talent evaluators think he's better than Michkov because although Michkov is better offensively - Demidov isn't far off on offense and he's much better and more involved in all areas of the ice.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I watch a bunch of his playoff games and there's more to his game than only offense. He worked just as hard and consistent on defense than he did on offense. I've read where talent evaluators think he's better than Michkov because although Michkov is better offensively - Demidov isn't far off on offense and he's much better and more involved in all areas of the ice.
I like Demidov more than Michkov. He pisses me off a lot less.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
"If you can't skate, you can't play for the Blackhawks" - Mike Doneghey.

I just feel like ultimately, Demidov and Buium are getting scratched off the list as they narrow down their selection at #2.

They're not poor skaters, but they're average, and Kyle Davidson is trying to build the fastest team in the league. Those two don't help you achieve that goal.

I think Silayev, Dickinson, and Levshunov are their top 3. Lindstrom would be amongst them if healthy, but that's a big if. Iginla and Parekh are maybe there, but ultimately there's probably less support for them amongst the staff.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

I just feel like ultimately, Demidov and Buium are getting scratched off the list as they narrow down their selection at #2.

They're not poor skaters, but they're average, and Kyle Davidson is trying to build the fastest team in the league. Those two don't help you achieve that goal.

I think Silayev, Dickinson, and Levshunov are their top 3. Lindstrom would be amongst them if healthy, but that's a big if. Iginla and Parekh are maybe there, but ultimately there's probably less support for them amongst the staff.

You’re way too hung up on this skating thing.

There’s a f***ing canyon sized gap between “can’t skate” and “elite skater”

Demidov is an average skater, he’s not Andrew Cristall.

Reactions: Pez68

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

I took that to mean they wouldn’t be drafting Strome types who are below average. Not a dig at your strome fandom, but neither Buium or Demidov would be characterized as “can’t skate”.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
They drafted Gavin Hayes who is already a worse skater than anyone we have discussed.
Hayes skating isn’t bad from what I’ve seen. Also Musto isn’t inside the organization so it’s best to ignore him. I mean Bedard isn’t an elite skater so by his rules, he wouldn’t have drafted him either.

He took a quote about really bad skaters and twisted it to be if you aren’t an absolutely elite skater, you can’t play for the hawks which is simply not true. If your skating isn’t a liability then you’re fine.

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Hayes skating is fine, I just think Levshunov, Buium, and Demidov all skate better than him.

The only guy with compete issues is Levshunov and its an inconsistent thing, sometimes he's engaged, sometimes not.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
they shouldn’t draft a player solely because he might be able to join the team next season. from the sound of it, i would like either demidov or one of the rhd’s. would probably be slightly less anxious about it with one of the d-men.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Hayes skating isn’t bad from what I’ve seen. Also Musto isn’t inside the organization so it’s best to ignore him. I mean Bedard isn’t an elite skater so by his rules, he wouldn’t have drafted him either.
Bedard is a can't miss generational prospect. There literally wasn't any other choice 1st overall.

2nd overall this year has like 8 different players in the running. At that point you have to start looking at what you value, and for the Blackhawks it's skating. If you're not an elite skater, you're out.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Bedard is a can't miss generational prospect. There literally wasn't any other choice 1st overall.

2nd overall this year has like 8 different players in the running. At that point you have to start looking at what you value, and for the Blackhawks it's skating. If you're not an elite skater, you're out.
Looking forward to the meltdown when you’re inevitably wrong, again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad