WHL trade deadline chatter

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
I have head that some team has put together a nice package for Danielson. I am assuming its Portland and with how the Wheat Kings have been since he has been gone I am not sure if they actually need to just make the playoffs.

I also know they really want a good team aroud Jacobson so I guess we will see what happens
I would assume that if the package for Danielson includes a couple of young players or prospects then the WK do this deal with 2 or 3 years in mind when McQueen,Elick, are at their peak and Jacobson is starting to be impactful.. Given the ownership of the team that appears to be the plan going forward.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
When do these blockbusters start going down? I've been checking the WHL transactions page and still nothing!!!!

mjwfansk

Jan 29, 2019
hope some deals get done soon by this weekend , can only refreh the computer so many times lol

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Crazy like a fox. They just avoided 5 to 7 years of wandering in the wilderness in exchange for a long shot bid in the playoffs. Crazy - or just plain dumb - would describe Bronco management.

"long shot" is debatable. The Wild are not as dominant as the ICE were their final seasons in Wpg. But at the same time it's a much more open race, there is no stacked super team in their way like there was the last couple years with Edmonton and Seattle. It's amazing to me that the Wild braintrust would look at what is a pretty good hand and decide to fold. They're going through a rebuild either way, why not go on a run to try to ignite some excitement with your fanbase?

What's even weirder is that while MJ is a legitimate contender, SC is very much a long shot team. It feels like the Broncos should be the sellers in this scenario... what are they expecting to accomplish now that they've emptied the cupboards for Geekie?

Anyway. At least now I don't have to worry about experiencing the Nordiques fan mental anguish of watching your old team hoist the cup the year after leaving town, hahaha.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
"long shot" is debatable. The Wild are not as dominant as the ICE were their final seasons in Wpg. But at the same time it's a much more open race, there is no stacked super team in their way like there was the last couple years with Edmonton and Seattle. It's amazing to me that the Wild braintrust would look at what is a pretty good hand and decide to fold. They're going through a rebuild either way, why not go on a run to try to ignite some excitement with your fanbase?

What's even weirder is that while MJ is a legitimate contender, SC is very much a long shot team. It feels like the Broncos should be the sellers in this scenario... what are they expecting to accomplish now that they've emptied the cupboards for Geekie?

Anyway. At least now I don't have to worry about experiencing the Nordiques fan mental anguish of watching your old team hoist the cup the year after leaving town, hahaha.

Swifty added Dvorak from the Czech world junior team. They added 2 top line players to a good team. I don't know if they are good enough to beat the top teams but they are big and I wouldn't want to meet up with them in the playoffs.

They will recoup those picks in a year or two anyways

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Swifty added Dvorak from the Czech world junior team. They added 2 top line players to a good team. I don't know if they are good enough to beat the top teams but they are big and I wouldn't want to meet up with them in the playoffs.

I don't doubt that SC is good, but are they good enough for a serious playoff run? Could you see them getting by MJ and Saskatoon? I can't. But good for them taking a run at it. There is such a thing as being too cautious and pragmatic... cough cough, Wild, cough.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon

A marginal playoff team shouldn't be giving up the equivalent of 4 first round picks for a quixotic playoff run. Just bad asset management. But that's the allure of 2 or 3 home dates, I guess.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Swift Current is desperate for playoff revenue. They have lost roughly 1.64 million dollars over the past four seasons combined. They need to go deep and make some money this season or there might be some legitimate concern about the future of the franchise in Swift Current.

The trade for Geekie might seem strange on the surface, but don't forget they haven't been healthy all season. Mathew Ward has been out for months and is expected back soon. Reid Dyck has missed significant time and he's expected back as early as this weekend.

Can they compete with Saskatoon? Personally, I don't think so. But with their core group of 2004-born players, a few of whom will be moving on to professional hockey next season, they decided they had to go for it.

• Wow
Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Some bad logic , 2800 reasons why extra playoff games not going to dent that much. Unless they tack on another 20$ for the championship round and they get 4 sell outs. That is a lot of wishful thinking in SC by the GM

That's what I was thinking, how much of a difference can a few playoff games really make in SC? It's one thing in Edmonton or Calgary where you can get 10000 people in the place, but iPlex is so small it won't make a huge difference.

Speaking of the iPlex, how long until the WHL starts putting the squeeze on SC to build a new barn or risk losing the team to Walla Walla or whatever other place in the PNW they have their eyes on?

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Really isnt that hard to grasp.

Reading some of the analysis of the Geekie/Savoie trades, the point has been made that Wenatchee's picks are so depleted that they can't make any impactful trades at the deadline this year. So that swayed them into becoming sellers.

What were they lacking, though? Seemed to me that Wenatchee had enough horsepower to make a legitimate run to the conference finals where they'd likely have to deal with PG, but again, it's not like PG is unstoppable.

mjwfansk

Jan 29, 2019
it totally make sense why the wild made the trades. As warriors fan I love the trade as we didnt have to give anyone off the roster, yes gave lots of picks but those can be re aquired later. The warriors now are able to make couple more trades if they want and use roster players if needed.. I would love to see ratzlaff from seattle get traded to moosejaw.

mjwfansk

Jan 29, 2019
comparing blades and warriors here with what i think could be lines please remember these are only my thoughts so no guarantees these happen

warriors
mckenzie yager firkus
rysavy calvert savoie
kovacevic schurman semeniuk
lakovic berge macintosh

def
mateychuk, port
brenton schmidt
ziprick parker
wilson

unger
fortin

blades
sudzalev wong sidorov
lisowsky minten armstrong
melnyk hansen parr
calvert james

molendyk saunderson
wright siepman
andrusiak herman

elliot
gardner

assuming everyone come back from injury i think forward are pretty even , but the blades have advantage right now maybe on 2nd or 3rd pair def and depth goaltending that could change at deadline, but looking forward to hopefully watch these twwo teams collide. stay out of the penalty box these power plays are stacked

go Warriors go

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
Very curious if WEN just collapses or they get a VIC miracle bounce, The three players coming are works in progress. But who knows. Long term WEN is the winner. SC GM has most to lose. Still a head scratcher on that move.

Reactions: wetcoast

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Ballsy move. Really not sure they can get by MJ and Saskatoon anyways. Move could backfire or Leslie could be a hero if they get by 2 rounds of the playoffs or more.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Portland and PG have to do something, right? Wenatchee's surrender clears a path for those two teams to meet in the conference final, but with the two teams in the east loading up, there has to be pressure on Lamb and Johnston to add some pieces. If I'm Prince George, especially, with the best team they've had some the '90s, I can't squander this chance to actually raise a banner.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

wksfan

Sep 6, 2023
Very quiet on the trade and rumour front. Not sure if teams are still trying to get deals done or are all the major deals are done. Anybody hear anything

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad