Which teams currently down in a series (3-1, or 2-1) will come back and win to make it to round 2? (Poll)

Which teams currently down in a series (3-1, or 2-1) will come back and win?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I know there's a similar thread, but I thought it would be fun to start an actual poll. So as not to exclude Dallas/Vegas (only 3 games played, while every other series has 4) I included the "down 2-1" option too, so feel free to vote/comment on Dallas too.

Vote for as many options as you want - who will stage a comeback and win their round? Here are the options:

1. Dallas. Currently down 1-2 to Vegas. I think out of all the round 1 matchups, most people saw this as the toughest matchup with 2 legitimate contenders. Vegas came close to taking a 3-0 lead, but Dallas won game 3 in OT and are now down 1-2 only. Who wins this round, does Dallas come back and win this best of 7?

2. Winnipeg. A lot of people seemed to be favoring Winnipeg vs Colorado. These are also two teams who seemed quite strong entering playoffs - but Colorado has simply dominated. They're averaging close to 6 goals a game so far. Does Winnipeg stand a chance to mount a comeback and win in 7?

3. Nashville. This has been a pretty tight series - and Demko unfortunately went down for Vancouver, and Nashville just tied the ser....no wait, Nashville up 3-1 with like 2 minutes to go in game 4, they allow Canucks to go 3-2, 3-3, and win 4-3 a minute into OT. That has to be heartbreaking for Nashville. Can they come back from such a loss, and extend this to 7 and win, or are they done now?

4. Los Angeles. I doubt anyone in their prediction board before playoffs started had a "Oilers win a game in which they are outshot 33-13 and score only 1 goal". It's one thing for Kings to lose games where McDavid or Drai have 3 or 4 points a piece, but in a game where you completely shut down Oilers and keep them to 13 shots and 1 goal - and still lose - that also has to be heartbreaking. Can LA Kings come back from a 3-1 deficit to make a series out of it, and win in 7, or are they done?

5. Tampa Bay. I think majority of people were favoring Florida in this matchup - but I doubt many necessarily expected Tampa Bay to go down 0-3. Credit to Florida who did great - but Tampa finally did show fire and win game 4. Tampa still has the same core players who won those cups and made a 3rd final - ignoring Florida for a second, if someone told you only one core across the league would come back from 0-3 deficit over past 5 years, not so sure many would be shocked to see this Tampa core be the one to do it. But Florida is a tremendous opponent, finals last year, and strong this year. Can Tampa manage to go all the way with the reverse sweep and win in 7? They definitely need Vasi to step up and steal a game - or two - to have a shot.

6. Toronto. For all of their faults, Toronto rarely loses "easily" in round 1 of playoffs. They normally manage to push it to 7 games. So if you were to ask "does Toronto lose in 5", I think giving them the benefit of the doubt to win 1 more might be warranted. But after all their playoff woes - and who knows about injuries/health issues for Matthews and maybe others - does anyone still believe this team will come back and beat Boston in 7? It would certainly be a hell of a turn around and great momentum onto round 2, but do you think it happens?

7. NY Islanders. Lots of passion in NY, and Patrick Roy is a fun coach to follow for playoffs. But Carolina is such a solid team. Good on NY for keeping some of the games close, and for finding a way to win in game 4 when they were almost dead. But they definitely seem outmatched so far. Can they win the next game and build enough momentum to allow them to complete the reverse sweep all the way?

Make your predictions - vote for as many teams as you think will win their series. Feel free to post in comments which teams you think might win a game or two before ultimately losing, vs those you think are out next game. And feel free to rank in order of most to least likely to win their series.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'll post my own predictions.

In the western conference - I predicted all of Vegas, Colorado, Oilers and Canucks would win. I've been given no real reason to change my opinion so far, and so I say there will be 0 comebacks in the west. I could see Dallas winning 1 or maybe even 2 more games, and maybe Nashville wins 1, but overall most will end in 5 or 6 games max.

In the east, I had Toronto and Tampa winning - and although I did say NY too, this was more of a "wish list" then really thinking they'd win. So I'll predict the following:

- NYI fights hard in game 5, but lose, and Carolina wins in 5

I'll predict Tampa wins. Vasi has a great playoff legacy - he's due to show up and steal a game. If he can steal game 5 - Tampa would have the momentum, and I could see them complete a reverse sweep. Long way to go, but that's my prediction.

Toronto...man, I hate Boston and really want to stick to my prediction of Toronto winning, but how can anyone rationally believe in this Toronto team after all their playoff failures and after just not looking good so far in round 1, to be able to mount a comeback down 3-1? Whatever - I'll stick to my guns and say Toronto in 7, but I know i'm going to regret this choice...

So - Toronto and Tampa - no one else. That's my prediction

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
If I had to put money on it I would say no one. If I had to pick one, though, I would say Dallas. They are the best of the 7 trailing teams, though they are playing a really good team as well. Nashville would be my second choice just to the Canucks injury situation in net.

Reactions: olli

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Stars have been the better team in the series imo. If they even things up tonight I'd definitely pick them. Can't go down 3-1 though. Game 4 will tell us a lot about that team.

Think the Preds have also been the better team but the hill is too steep at this point for that offense.

Jets, Kings, Leafs, Isles, and Lightning all seem pretty deserving of their deficits, see no reason to believe in any comebacks there.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
None. This is one of the most lopsided first rounds Ive ever seen in playoff hockey. Lack of OT games and lack of momentum swings in series. Having 6 out of 8 series possibly only going 5 games is not good.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
None. This is one of the most lopsided first rounds Ive ever seen in playoff hockey. Lack of OT games and lack of momentum swings in series. Having 6 out of 8 series possibly only going 5 games is not good.

6 out of 8?

There's a chance all 8 series could go in 5 games lol. Not a single series has even reached a 2-2 tie so far.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
If I had to put money on it I would say no one. If I had to pick one, though, I would say Dallas. They are the best of the 7 trailing teams, though they are playing a really good team as well. Nashville would be my second choice just to the Canucks injury situation in net.
Silovs is even better than DeSmith so i dont know what you are talking about? We have beat Nashville with Silovs and DeSmith in regular season too. We dont need Demko against Nashville.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
6 out of 8?

There's a chance all 8 series could go in 5 games lol. Not a single series has even reached a 2-2 tie so far.
I'd have to check but I am almost sure since the first round went to 7 we have never had a case of no series going at least 6

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Silovs is even better than DeSmith so i dont know what you are talking about? We have beat Nashville with Silovs and DeSmith in regular season too. We dont need Demko against Nashville.

Yes, we all love our own team's prospects, but he has 9 career NHL games and put up a 0.881% in 4 games this season.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Only voted Dallas. I think they're going to start rolling now after that win.

Besides them, I think Nashville has the best shot due to Vancouver's injuries and the way they've carried the play a good amount of the series, but I still don't see it happening. 3 games in a row is a tall task.

Only playoff choke worse than the one last night that comes to mind right away is the lead the Oilers blew to the Ducks in 2017.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Jets in 7 baby you heard it here. This has been Ali vs Foreman rumble in the jungle and everyone doesn't realize how tired Foreman is. I know makar is tired because I've never seen anyone skate like that it must be exhausting.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Dallas has outplayed Vegas at even strength pretty significantly, feel they are a little bit unlucky to be down 2-1 atm and should realistically be up 2-1, but nothing matters other than the official series score. With that being said, that is also why I think they can do it, but tonight is a must win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad