OT - NO POLITICS We’re on to April & May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Had some controversy at the majors softball game last night.

Now I don't usually push the base running too hard early in the season but we were down 9-5 going into the home half of the last inning. I had a runner at third, player at bat walked and I told her before the inning to take 2nd if they were not paying attention. Other team saw it, started freaking out, pitcher threw it to 2nd which made the "look back rule" void because she made a play to the runner, so I sent the runner on 3rd home.

I have learned in softball that the ball is live on a walk (same as baseball) but once the pitcher has it you need to make a decision to continue or go back, without hesitating. This is different than baseball because we cannot lead until it leaves the pitchers hand. Runner going from 1st to 2nd kept running so it was legal.

Umpire agreed but the other team's coach was pissed. We still lost because the bottom of the order hitter was up with two outs bases loaded. But it was fun to show some life. Our third baseman also had THREE unassisted double plays which was fun to see.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Had some controversy at the majors softball game last night.

Now I don't usually push the base running too hard early in the season but we were down 9-5 going into the home half of the last inning. I had a runner at third, player at bat walked and I told her before the inning to take 2nd if they were not paying attention. Other team saw it, started freaking out, pitcher threw it to 2nd which made the "look back rule" void because she made a play to the runner, so I sent the runner on 3rd home.

I have learned in softball that the ball is live on a walk (same as baseball) but once the pitcher has it you need to make a decision to continue or go back, without hesitating. This is different than baseball because we cannot lead until it leaves the pitchers hand. Runner going from 1st to 2nd kept running so it was legal.

Umpire agreed but the other team's coach was pissed. We still lost because the bottom of the order hitter was up with two outs bases loaded. But it was fun to show some life. Our third baseman also had THREE unassisted double plays which was fun to see.
My daughter’s softball team had a similar play contested. They were allowed to steal, but can’t steal home. On a walk, the girl taking first also started to move towards second, before the pitcher was to the mound. They throw to second, ball ends up in center field, so the girl on third went home

Other coach was mad that you can’t steal home, to which our coach said we didn’t steal, you threw around a live ball.

The umpires were a pair of 14 year old girls and they were totally overwhelmed. Ultimately, the other coaches backed down and let it count. Other team ended up winning by quite a few runs anyway

Sounds like a very similar scenario! I’m not a fan of screwing around on the base path, or throwing the ball around. Especially at young ages. There are definitely times to get A LITTLE aggressive with runners though. Sounds like you were just looking to get the kids back into the game having fun, teach a good lesson about playing hard and such. At the end of the day it’s a game and should be fun.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
My daughter’s softball team had a similar play contested. They were allowed to steal, but can’t steal home. On a walk, the girl taking first also started to move towards second, before the pitcher was to the mound. They throw to second, ball ends up in center field, so the girl on third went home

Other coach was mad that you can’t steal home, to which our coach said we didn’t steal, you threw around a live ball.

The umpires were a pair of 14 year old girls and they were totally overwhelmed. Ultimately, the other coaches backed down and let it count. Other team ended up winning by quite a few runs anyway

Sounds like a very similar scenario! I’m not a fan of screwing around on the base path, or throwing the ball around. Especially at young ages. There are definitely times to get A LITTLE aggressive with runners though. Sounds like you were just looking to get the kids back into the game having fun, teach a good lesson about playing hard and such. At the end of the day it’s a game and should be fun.

Yes and we can steal home which the other team took advantage of too. Not being able to and trying to entice an overthrow I could see as a little suspect.

I did it because I do feel like baseball/softball suffers from a lot of no one knowing WTF is going on or the score.

Basketball and hockey have score boards but baseball/softball often times does not. I always tell them the score (but only make them winning/losing by 5 like they did when I played hockey as a kid) I told the team the score and that they needed to get 5 runs to win and it was the most alert I had ever seen them.

Another annoyance I have is in minors baseball they can steal once the ball crosses the plate. Minors softball, no stealing. So you go from this slow slow game to a lot going on. I wish they could do some stealing in minors, it would help a lot. The 6th graders on the team, who only have played minors due to team sizes will be on middle school next year I am trying to not have them get absolutely rocked haha.

Reactions: BMC and TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yes and we can steal home which the other team took advantage of too. Not being able to and trying to entice an overthrow I could see as a little suspect.

I did it because I do feel like baseball/softball suffers from a lot of no one knowing WTF is going on or the score.

Basketball and hockey have score boards but baseball/softball often times does not. I always tell them the score (but only make them winning/losing by 5 like they did when I played hockey as a kid) I told the team the score and that they needed to get 5 runs to win and it was the most alert I had ever seen them.

Another annoyance I have is in minors baseball they can steal once the ball crosses the plate. Minors softball, no stealing. So you go from this slow slow game to a lot going on. I wish they could do some stealing in minors, it would help a lot. The 6th graders on the team, who only have played minors due to team sizes will be on middle school next year I am trying to not have them get absolutely rocked haha.
When my daughter played softball I never liked the stealing though. She quit at 9 so I assume it was U-10. At that age it's so rare you'll get a catcher who can make a hard enough, and accurate enough throw to 2nd to be able to catch a runner stealing. U-10 baseball was the same way.

Now the next level up, if it's 10-12, sure let the kids steal when the ball crosses the plate. Plenty of 12 year old catchers will make that throw. I remember plenty of close plays at 2nd on passed balls too. That 10-12 group is the sweet spot for teaching the game IMO. Before that it should be more throwing, catching, hitting, how to run the bases. Once you add stealing and sliding, pickles, leads, etc, it's just way too much for the littles.

Then when they turn 13 and the infield doubles in size lol, that's a fun time. "Wait, I'm playing third base and I have to throw it WAY OVER THERE on a routine ground ball? Oh...but I have 3 days to get it there because the runner is gonna lose his breath by the time he's half way. OK, I can do this"

• Love
Reactions: BMC and RoccoF14

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
When my daughter played softball I never liked the stealing though. She quit at 9 so I assume it was U-10. At that age it's so rare you'll get a catcher who can make a hard enough, and accurate enough throw to 2nd to be able to catch a runner stealing. U-10 baseball was the same way.

Now the next level up, if it's 10-12, sure let the kids steal when the ball crosses the plate. Plenty of 12 year old catchers will make that throw. I remember plenty of close plays at 2nd on passed balls too. That 10-12 group is the sweet spot for teaching the game IMO. Before that it should be more throwing, catching, hitting, how to run the bases. Once you add stealing and sliding, pickles, leads, etc, it's just way too much for the littles.

Then when they turn 13 and the infield doubles in size lol, that's a fun time. "Wait, I'm playing third base and I have to throw it WAY OVER THERE on a routine ground ball? Oh...but I have 3 days to get it there because the runner is gonna lose his breath by the time he's half way. OK, I can do this"
Though on the softball side there seems to be no difference, the bolded is the reason I like Cal Ripken vs. Little League. In Cal Ripken they move 70ft bases at 12u in baseball.

• Love
Reactions: TD Charlie

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

This is such a great post. My thoughts exactly. 10-12 is where you start adding in some complexity and build from there. Prior to that, its just hitting, fielding, pitching, and baserunning basics. For both boys and girls.

At that 10-12 age, the catcher suddenly becomes a really important part of the team and you start seeing some of the better players being moved there. As it should be.

• Love

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
This is such a great post. My thoughts exactly. 10-12 is where you start adding in some complexity and build from there. Prior to that, its just hitting, fielding, pitching, and baserunning basics. For both boys and girls.

At that 10-12 age, the catcher suddenly becomes a really important part of the team and you start seeing some of the better players being moved there. As it should be.
I didn't try catching until the tail end of fall ball when I was on the 12 year old all star B team. I was really good at it and it was so fun. Then I stayed there for the U-15 league and while I had fun, I wasn't very good. That throw to 2nd was harsh, and I didn't have a very good arm. It was really fun talking shit to hitters though, especially when 90 percent of them were friends. To me there was nothing cooler than being in the on deck circle with 2 outs, wearing the shin pads in case you didn't hit that inning. I always felt like a bad ass when I was catching lol

I tried out for high school ball and told them I was a catcher. I had never called pitches before, still couldn't throw to 2nd, and it was the first two piece mask I ever used so I struggled with it big time. Needless to say, I did not make the team. So I joined the golf team...which was actually some of the most fun I had in sports

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I love these softball posts. There was no organized softball when I was growing up, we played at recess using baseball rules (no stealing though, no one could make that throw from home plate until 8th grade). We had a lot of fun despite the occasional argument about whether someone was safe or out.
Despite no formal experience (my dad taught me how to throw & field and I copied Carl Yazstremski for hitting) I made the HS varsity team as a freshman. I had to forget a lot of the rules I had learned & learn official softball rules. I played for 4 years and then played as an adult until I had to retire at 36. I loved playing & still miss it although I don't miss the aches & pains lol that last season it got to the point I was popping Advil like candy in order to practice & play. 🥎

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Though on the softball side there seems to be no difference, the bolded is the reason I like Cal Ripken vs. Little League. In Cal Ripken they move 70ft bases at 12u in baseball.
I've never even heard of a 70 foot base, but it seems like a logical in between, particularly for stronger players in the 11-12 age range. I assume they push the mound back a few feet as well. Damn, some of those 12 year olds back when we played could throw some fire. It was terrifying as a 10 year old. Especially if the pitcher was a bit taller, and they usually were, and you played on a good field with a raised mound. 10 year olds got no chance to put the ball in play

I love these softball posts. There was no organized softball when I was growing up, we played at recess using baseball rules (no stealing though, no one could make that throw from home plate until 8th grade). We had a lot of fun despite the occasional argument about whether someone was safe or out.
Despite no formal experience (my dad taught me how to throw & field and I copied Carl Yazstremski for hitting) I made the HS varsity team as a freshman. I had to forget a lot of the rules I had learned & learn official softball rules. I played for 4 years and then played as an adult until I had to retire at 36. I loved playing & still miss it although I don't miss the aches & pains lol that last season it got to the point I was popping Advil like candy in order to practice & play. 🥎
My dad still laughs about all the neighborhood kids playing wiffle ball, arguing safe/out. We would spend 5 minutes screaming at each other and it always ended the same way

"FINE! Re-do?"

Reactions: GordonHowe

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I've never even heard of a 70 foot base, but it seems like a logical in between, particularly for stronger players in the 11-12 age range. I assume they push the mound back a few feet as well. Damn, some of those 12 year olds back when we played could throw some fire. It was terrifying as a 10 year old. Especially if the pitcher was a bit taller, and they usually were, and you played on a good field with a raised mound. 10 year olds got no chance to put the ball in play
I think they do a 50-ft pitching distance.

And introduce full rules with the 70ft bases (leading, etc.)

What's nice is you can use the same field, just have a longer mound and two sets of bases, one you cap, depending on the age.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

My dad still laughs about all the neighborhood kids playing wiffle ball, arguing safe/out. We would spend 5 minutes screaming at each other and it always ended the same way

"FINE! Re-do?"

Yes! and deciding which team would bat first, which we decided with the captains alternating moving their hands up a bat and whoever's hand or fingers fit under the knob last got to hit first.

Good times, good times.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think they do a 50-ft pitching distance.

And introduce full rules with the 70ft bases (leading, etc.)

What's nice is you can use the same field, just have a longer mound and two sets of bases, one you cap, depending on the age.
I imagine that's a nice perk

50/70, with leads and stealing, sounds like organized chaos. I assume these players are a bit more advanced though, so things like working out of the stretch and checking runners isn't a big deal. If those were the rules when I was 12 I can almost guarantee that no runner would ever be thrown out. A runner on 1st would become a man on 3rd within a few pitches, every time

Yes! and deciding which team would bat first, which we decided with the captains alternating moving their hands up a bat and whoever's hand or fingers fit under the knob last got to hit first.

Good times, good times.
I bet a lot of times if your team didnt hit first...they werent getting a chance to hit that day. Just no time lol

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I didn't try catching until the tail end of fall ball when I was on the 12 year old all star B team. I was really good at it and it was so fun. Then I stayed there for the U-15 league and while I had fun, I wasn't very good. That throw to 2nd was harsh, and I didn't have a very good arm. It was really fun talking shit to hitters though, especially when 90 percent of them were friends. To me there was nothing cooler than being in the on deck circle with 2 outs, wearing the shin pads in case you didn't hit that inning. I always felt like a bad ass when I was catching lol

I tried out for high school ball and told them I was a catcher. I had never called pitches before, still couldn't throw to 2nd, and it was the first two piece mask I ever used so I struggled with it big time. Needless to say, I did not make the team. So I joined the golf team...which was actually some of the most fun I had in sports
I started playing catcher in little league (our city team somehow didn't have a catcher when the team was picked so I volunteered). When I wasn't catching I played 3rd base which I suddenly found boring after catching. In Babe Ruth I used to love picking guys off of first when they would absent-mindedly wander off of first after a pitch.

To Morris' post: I stole home once in a game. Pitcher was a lefty and went into a full wind-up. I was safe, but after the inning my coach pulled me aside and told me he'd kick me off the team if I did it again. He thought it was a show-off move and was disrespectful to the pitcher. He also reminded me how dumb a move it was because we had less than 2 outs.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I started playing catcher in little league (our city team somehow didn't have a catcher when the team was picked so I volunteered). When I wasn't catching I played 3rd base which I suddenly found boring after catching. In Babe Ruth I used to love picking guys off of first when they would absent-mindedly wander off of first after a pitch.

To Morris' post: I stole home once in a game. Pitcher was a lefty and went into a full wind-up. I was safe, but after the inning my coach pulled me aside and told me he'd kick me off the team if I did it again. He thought it was a show-off move and was disrespectful to the pitcher. He also reminded me how dumb a move it was because we had less than 2 outs.
I had a coach that would call out a "2 cool play" somehow. Say you're on first base and coach recognizes the catcher is lazy throwing back to the mound, or the pitcher is walking carelessly back to the mound, something like that. Coach would yell out "TD Charlie don't act too cool out there." which signaled a delayed steal. Next pitch, I'd jump to a huge lead and as the catcher release the ball I'm gone.

On the other side of it, I'm behind the plate and we got a runner on 1st or 3rd. Coach sees the runner acting cocky and dancing out to a big lead, but then walking back to base lazy. Same signal from the coach, so I'd pump to the pitcher and rip a throw to 3rd. We could also play it through the pitcher so I'd gun it back to the pitcher who would immediately turn and throw to 3rd.

I'm starting to think a lot of us had the same childhood lol

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I had a coach that would call out a "2 cool play" somehow. Say you're on first base and coach recognizes the catcher is lazy throwing back to the mound, or the pitcher is walking carelessly back to the mound, something like that. Coach would yell out "TD Charlie don't act too cool out there." which signaled a delayed steal. Next pitch, I'd jump to a huge lead and as the catcher release the ball I'm gone.

On the other side of it, I'm behind the plate and we got a runner on 1st or 3rd. Coach sees the runner acting cocky and dancing out to a big lead, but then walking back to base lazy. Same signal from the coach, so I'd pump to the pitcher and rip a throw to 3rd. We could also play it through the pitcher so I'd gun it back to the pitcher who would immediately turn and throw to 3rd.

I'm starting to think a lot of us had the same childhood lol
And then Lacrosse entered the chat....

Honestly, I don't think I could have cut it on a full size baseball diamond.

Middle school/JV LAX was great, I played defense. Then I stopped growing so they put me at long stick midfield which is just run, run, run, sub out when the ball goes to offense. Hated that.

• Haha

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Anyone here saltwater fish? My oldest is 9 now, and my mother in law lives in Sandwich, so im hoping to hitup the East end of the canal this weekend with my son and my surf rod.

I used to go deepsea fishing a half dozen times a year before I had kids. Still nervous about 8+ hours on a boat with a small child (dont know if he will get seasick). Ill try an inshore trip with him first, 4 hours or so.

Reactions: GordonHowe

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Anyone here saltwater fish? My oldest is 9 now, and my mother in law lives in Sandwich, so im hoping to hitup the East end of the canal this weekend with my son and my surf rod.

I used to go deepsea fishing a half dozen times a year before I had kids. Still nervous about 8+ hours on a boat with a small child (dont know if he will get seasick). Ill try an inshore trip with him first, 4 hours or so.
I do, alot. I have a place in the Florida Panhandle and beach fish with a surf rod every chance I get. Also do inshore and usually a 10hr deep sea charter every year or 2 if I can get enough people to go.

Never saltwater fished in the NE though. Down by me, its usually Pompano, Redfish, Whiting and the occasional Permit or Mackerel off the beach. My boys also like to shark fish at night from time to time.

Inshore its Speckled Trout, Redfish and Black Drum. Bought myself an inflatable paddle board last spring that works great.

Deep sea, its Red Snapper, Gag Grouper, Amberjack, Blackfin Tuna and the occasional shark. We'll troll out to the reefs and back and sometimes pull a King Mackerel or Wahoo. My wife and 2 older kids love it. My youngest son gets seasick pretty easy so he's not a fan.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
I do, alot. I have a place in the Florida Panhandle and beach fish with a surf rod every chance I get. Also do inshore and usually a 10hr deep sea charter every year or 2 if I can get enough people to go.

Never saltwater fished in the NE though. Down by me, its usually Pompano, Redfish, Whiting and the occasional Permit or Mackerel off the beach. My boys also like to shark fish at night from time to time.

Inshore its Speckled Trout, Redfish and Black Drum. Bought myself an inflatable paddle board last spring that works great.

Deep sea, its Red Snapper, Gag Grouper, Amberjack, Blackfin Tuna and the occasional shark. We'll troll out to the reefs and back and sometimes pull a King Mackerel or Wahoo. My wife and 2 older kids love it. My youngest son gets seasick pretty easy so he's not a fan.
Sweet!

Up here, deep sea fishing is usually for Haddock and Cod. Scup and Hake are bycatch sometimes.

In the winter (if you are brave enough), you can catch Pollock when deep sea fishing, and they are more plentiful than the Haddock and Cod typically.

Surf casting can get you striped bass most of the time. Inshore fishing is striped bass, black sea bass, tautog, and false albacore.

I dont have the money or patience for Tuna, so I have never been.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Sweet!

Up here, deep sea fishing is usually for Haddock and Cod. Scup and Hake are bycatch sometimes.

In the winter (if you are brave enough), you can catch Pollock when deep sea fishing, and they are more plentiful than the Haddock and Cod typically.

Surf casting can get you striped bass most of the time. Inshore fishing is striped bass, black sea bass, tautog, and false albacore.

I dont have the money or patience for Tuna, so I have never been.

Can you get flounder from the shore?

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Can you get flounder from the shore?
I have never tried it, but I suppose its possible. Houghs neck in Quincy was once the flounder capital of the world many years ago. Flounder like smooth, sandy bottom to live and feed on. Houghs neck has alot of that just offshore. Most success I have heard is people in boats just offshore when it comes to flounder.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The transfer was approved and now I'm just waiting to see when I can officially move into that unit and also figure out when/where my stuff will get stored and then moved in.

In addition toi the transfer, which they offered, we are going to be asking the complex to pay the full cost of essentially moving me out, storing my stuff and moving me back in. Luckily the tenant laws they do have here are in my favor so I'm confident they will pay.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
As I mentioned earlier, 43 years ago today, I married my soulmate. I am so very lucky. Here's a throwback Thursday pic. Believe me, our wedding gear and colours were very cool back in the day....lol

1715889346277.jpeg

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I imagine that's a nice perk

50/70, with leads and stealing, sounds like organized chaos. I assume these players are a bit more advanced though, so things like working out of the stretch and checking runners isn't a big deal. If those were the rules when I was 12 I can almost guarantee that no runner would ever be thrown out. A runner on 1st would become a man on 3rd within a few pitches, every time

I bet a lot of times if your team didnt hit first...they werent getting a chance to hit that day. Just no time lol

We had 2 20 minute recess periods. We tried hard not to waste any of it but some of those out/safe arguments would go on for awhile if it was especially close :laugh:

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad