WCSF | Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Round 2 - FIGHT!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It’s official, bring on the Oilers!

1714790122557.png

IMG_0045.jpegIMG_0047.jpeg

Oiler Killers:
Quinn Hughes - 25GP, 3G, 19A, 22Pts
JT Miller - 32GP, 11G, 23A, 34Pts
Brock Boeser - 31GP, 16G, 11A, 27Pts

Season Series:
October 11, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 8-1

October 14, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 4-3

November 6, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 6-2

April 13, 2024
Vancouver def. Edmonton 3-1

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
where does this fortnite thing that gets referenced now and again come from?

i think people are confusing things with juolevi? i have no idea if petey plays fortnite.

in any case, luka doncic is like a top-100 worldwide player of overwatch (assume that's impressive?) and is about to have a top-3 mvp and wcf season, so the idea that athletes can't game is pretty silly

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
there was a report years ago that an nhl team was upset with one of their top draft picks because they were staying up late everynight playing fortnite. a lot of people thought it was juolevi but i think it was actually jakub zboril?

I heard both Zboril and Rubtsov of Philly as the two most-speculated names.

This was in 2018 and the report specified that it was a 'CHL player' and Juolevi was in Finland at the time so not him.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

This is why the game 6 watch party tickets haven't been made available yet :ha:

Also probably means either a 7:30 PT or early afternoon start time for game 6 knowing how the NHL likes to space out these playoff games.

Doubt Edmonton wants to start at 8:30 local time though

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
No dou
I don't get why a moron like Holland gets these franchises lining up for his services, meanwhile a guy like Mike Gillis couldn't find a GM job in the league. I know Gillis was a dick but I don't understand.
No doubt about it......before turning over the keys to Rutherford and Allvin and stepping aside, Aquilini had a remarkable capacity to hire front office people who simply died on the vine.

I honestly doubt that Gillis, Benning and obviously Linden ever work as NHL executives again.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I don't get why a moron like Holland gets these franchises lining up for his services, meanwhile a guy like Mike Gillis couldn't find a GM job in the league. I know Gillis was a dick but I don't understand.

For starters, Gillis doesn't want to be a GM. He wants to be a president of hockey ops and implement some kind of a parallel management structure that he developed. It's probably a bit of a hard sell.

He's also not popular with the old boys network in the league. He did win GM of the year but he did a lot of things to rub people the wrong way. A lot of those things were the right thing to do but he's got a bit of a reputation as a contrarian.

Meanwhile, Holland is about as connected as it gets. His record during his last handful of years with the Red Wings and with the Oilers is mediocre at best but before that he was considered the best GM in the league. The Red Wings made the playoffs 18 straight seasons with him as GM and won the cup 3 times.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
With two more wins the Canucks have the opportunity to do the funniest thing ever.

Feel bad for CBJ fans.

For starters, Gillis doesn't want to be a GM. He wants to be a president of hockey ops and implement some kind of a parallel management structure that he developed. It's probably a bit of a hard sell.

He's also not popular with the old boys network in the league. He did win GM of the year but he did a lot of things to rub people the wrong way. A lot of those things were the right thing to do but he's got a bit of a reputation as a contrarian.

Meanwhile, Holland is about as connected as it gets. His record during his last handful of years with the Red Wings and with the Oilers is mediocre at best but before that he was considered the best GM in the league. The Red Wings made the playoffs 18 straight seasons with him as GM and won the cup 3 times.
Gillis’s proposal essentially doubles the front office budget. Maybe some forward thinking team with a lot of money in the NBA and NFL might consider it but NHL is owned by a bunch of dinosaurs that still think ex players with concussion histories and borderline high school education are a fine choice to run billionaire dollar entity.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Mike GIllis was also chilling in the island for quite a while after the Canucks, teaching at UVic while golfing in Oak Bay. Not a bad lifestyle once you've made your money.

Reactions: Red and lawrence

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
shaved my beard, waearing hank sedin canuck tee. lets go. good on tocchet switching the lines. hopefully the swedish line comes out scoring. the life line reunited will be okay no need to worry. i think bluegar is gonna pot one. same with petey. cole is still in why...

lawrence

May 19, 2012
unfortunately, his interviews with TSN 1040 got deleted with that entire organization. He's said that one of the reasons why he wasn't hired at first, was because he wasn't looking for work. By the time he got job offers, it wasn't a fit, as it seemed like he only wanted to work in the West to be close to his daughter. Gillis said he did get offers, but wasn't the right fit. somebody from the Sens board who claims he knows people in that organization said that the Sens hired as as president but Gillis only wanted the job for one year, so it wasn't a fit. He got too picky. Rumours had it, that the Isles and Devils and caps were interested in him as a GM but he didn't want to head that far east. He's also happy where he is. It was only by luck he became our gm in 2008. He had no interest. He just happened to move to the west coast because his daughter was pursuing a scholarship.

its safe to say, Mike Gillis will never find work again, and hes fine with that.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
unfortunately, his interviews with TSN 1040 got deleted with that entire organization. He's said that one of the reasons why he wasn't hired at first, was because he wasn't looking for work. By the time he got job offers, it wasn't a fit, as it seemed like he only wanted to work in the West to be close to his daughter. Gillis said he did get offers, but wasn't the right fit. somebody from the Sens board who claims he knows people in that organization said that the Sens hired as as president but Gillis only wanted the job for one year, so it wasn't a fit. He got too picky. Rumours had it, that the Isles and Devils and caps were interested in him as a GM but he didn't want to head that far east. He's also happy where he is. It was only by luck he became our gm in 2008. He had no interest. He just happened to move to the west coast because his daughter was pursuing a scholarship.

its safe to say, Mike Gillis will never find work again, and hes fine with that.

He proved to the league he can do it, he had the money, and he chose to enjoy life with family.

Mad respect for the man.

Reactions: andora and Flik

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Gillis wouldn't bend the knee to the OBC. Plain and simple.

If you're in the club, you'll get unlimited life jackets.
f***in' Travis Green gets hired after shitting the bed as the interim for the Devils and Elliotte Friedman's justification is:

"I don't think NJ counts."

"He's kind of a dick and that group needs that."

:laugh:

Devils were a bit above .500 with Ruff, Green made sure that they wouldn't make the playoffs with his performance. Oh, he tried and inadvertantly sucked again! Why not give him another chance! We know the hiring process isn't exactly evidence based.

Reactions: racerjoe

lawrence

May 19, 2012
always a first. unbelievable.

Daniel sedin gets punched in the face 5 times, no call,

Quinn Hughes gets high sticked in front of 19000 people plus 1 million viewers and the 4 officials draws blood NO PENALTY. A NHL first.

Elias Pettersson takes a charging penalty for not making a single stride, another NHL first.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
always a first. unbelievable.

Daniel sedin gets punched in the face 5 times, no call,

Quinn Hughes gets high sticked in front of 19000 people plus 1 million viewers and the 4 officials draws blood NO PENALTY. A NHL first.

Elias Pettersson takes a charging penalty for not making a single stride, another NHL first.
If you factor in the rotation of the Earth, Petey was moving pretty damn fast on that play and deserves punishment for it.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

Much like with Allvin, Holland inherited a dumpster fire. And honestly, he’s made a couple of decent moves to fix things. It’s the moves he hasn’t made that’s the problem. And Nurse.

Reactions: TruKnyte

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad