GDT: WCSF | V | "Engage!" | Oilers @ Canucks | 5.16.24 | 8:00PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I’m not sure who you pointed out. But I look at Bouch as an Al MacInnis type of Dman. It could be argued that a Scott Neidermayer type, if you want to compare someone from the same era, is more effective. But why would anyone ever complain about drafting and developing an Al MacInnis?
I always compared him to Shea Weber b/c of his shot and blueline control. I never thought the physicality or defense would compare tho. His defensive game is definitely getting there.
I'd say his best comparable is Weber atm. Now if he only added that mean streak, look out

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Heard Vancouver is changing up the lines. Rafferty and Makayev out I think. Not sure who's in.
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 14-54-03 NHL Line Combinations - Vancouver Canucks.png

Reactions: Louis Cypher

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
The Oilers to a man felt they were ultimately overmatched against the Avalanche. That's really the best source in considering the skill and will level of their championship run. The Landeskog loss I don't think they've ever recovered from. The inconsistency of Kadri is irrelevant. He was dialed in all that season and delivered in the playoffs. I get your pro Dallas (and Texas leanings) but the Aves steamrolled that playoff run. Still highly competitive but no where near the quality depth of their one and done year.

Last year's Golden Showers series was winnable and the players felt it was one they lost. Poor coaching, Line 2 getting buried without changing deployment, penalties and own zone mistakes, outscored at EV, and losing the goaltending battle. There's a reason that loss hit harder and more painful. It was a hard lesson about the margins to win or lose. Unlike the year before. It's growth and maturation. Seeing it now this playoff but still need more consistency.

This the loss last year was not about the Knights beating the oilers they lead every single game at one point. The loss was about the Oilers beating themselves

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Would be a really good series. Have to get to Oettenger who can be hot and cold. Anointed too quickly an elite goaltender. He's still prone to inconsistency. No room for error though in team defending.

It would be sweet justice for us to beat the Stars in the WCF for anyone who lived through the rivalry in the 90s and 2000s that’s for sure

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He actually said that despite them now losing Nichushkin as well. Defensively they are about the same but more mature with Byram not in the top 4 and Girard playing more games than in 2022. Goaltending, likely a wash. But offensively they are down Nichushkin, Landeskog and Kadri from that cup winning group. The only guys in the conversation with those three are Drouin (it still remains to be seen how much of that is just who he's playing propping him up) and maybe Mittelstadt.
You can add Compher and to a lesser degree Burakovsky

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This the loss last year was not about the Knights beating the oilers they lead every single game at one point. The loss was about the Oilers beating themselves

I don't truly think it was only about them beating themselves as much as them failing to execute over the next couple shifts after a goal.

Didn't Vegas score something like 8 within 2 minutes of one team or the other scoring and I think it was 5 periods with 3 goals scored in them. Limit those breakdowns 3 or 4 quick ones and 2 or 3 periods with a 3 spot against, maybe they would have held them off with those leads they had gotten.

Some of it is still present in this round. Both Vancouver wins happened in games where Edmonton led at one point but surrendered 3 goals in 1 period. Actually all 3 Oiler losses this year had a 3 goal against period (though they never led in the LA one).

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yes and no.
I do think that as the series went along the Vegas coaches were able to break down what the Oilers were doing defensively and exploit it.
The Oilers werent able to adjust.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I hate watching games in Vancouver, their fans annoy the f*** out of me, cheering for the stupidest things. I hope we come out hard and build a lead to shut those stupid f***ers up and win so I don’t have to watch another game there this season.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
You can add Compher and to a lesser degree Burakovsky

I'd go the other way and Burakovsky for sure. Wood, Colten or Parise can give them Compher level play. Compher just had a nice 4 games stretch where 3 of those 4 games were during the Edmonton series but was almost a non-factor otherwise.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Has Knoblach announced his starter yet? Haven’t had time to read through the thread yet and earlier when I had TSN on they were saying he hadn’t.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yes and no.
I do think that as the series went along the Vegas coaches were able to break down what the Oilers were doing defensively and exploit it.
The Oilers werent able to adjust.

I think this is a big difference with Knoblauch. He isn't afraid to change what blatantly isn't working. I'm still annoyed at Woody's handling of the second line in all aspects (construction and deployment) in that series when I think about it.

We probably would have seen Skinner in net, Nurse - Ceci together, and the top line stacked in Game 4 if he was still coach.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Has Knoblach announced his starter yet? Haven’t had time to read through the thread yet and earlier when I had TSN on they were saying he hadn’t.
Im pretty sure its been confrimed that Pickard is starting.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think this is a big difference with Knoblauch. He isn't afraid to change what blatantly isn't working. I'm still annoyed at Woody's handling of the second line in all aspects (construction and deployment) in that series when I think about it.

We probably would have seen Skinner in net, Nurse - Ceci together, and the top line stacked in Game 4 if he was still coach.
I agree.
It seems to me that Knoblauch has a better feel for things. Not only in game adjustments but lineup adjustments as well.

The 3 adjustments I liked in game 4...breaking up McDrai, the change in D pairings and starting Pickard.
We shall see if he is right about sticking with Ceci though.
I thought that Nurse was a little better in game 4...now its Cecis turn in game 5..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Trying to be open minded about this I don't know how Blueger survives the cull. Wasn't he one of the more blatant passengers? What has Hoglander done in playoffs to get the topsix promotion?

Weird thing is Nucks are basically going to the first line at fan request and it being popular with Nucks fans. Who knows, maybe it works but Petey and Hoglander have been very quiet in playoffs. Lindholm has done his part. Its also interesting that Lindholm has been better than vast majority of the established Canucks.

I don't see Suter as a topsix player but the Nucks lineup depth is lacking in those.

I don't see that 4th line getting a lot of minutes.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I agree.
It seems to me that Knoblauch has a better feel for things. Not only in game adjustments but lineup adjustments as well.

The 3 adjustments I liked in game 4...breaking up McDrai, the change in D pairings and starting Pickard.
We shall see if he is right about sticking with Ceci though.
I thought that Nurse was a little better in game 4...now its Cecis turn in game 5..

Ceci is a tough one because personally I don't think there would be any improvement with Broberg (presumably on his off side) or Stecher in his place. I know I'm in the minority on this though.

It's probably worth a look, but it is really hard to say for sure IMO. I would bet that he's on a short leash now though if the G4 performance transfers into G5.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Oilers to a man felt they were ultimately overmatched against the Avalanche. That's really the best source in considering the skill and will level of their championship run. The Landeskog loss I don't think they've ever recovered from. The inconsistency of Kadri is irrelevant. He was dialed in all that season and delivered in the playoffs. I get your pro Dallas (and Texas leanings) but the Aves steamrolled that playoff run. Still highly competitive but no where near the quality depth of their one and done year.

Last year's Golden Showers series was winnable and the players felt it was one they lost. Poor coaching, Line 2 getting buried without changing deployment, penalties and own zone mistakes, outscored at EV, and losing the goaltending battle. There's a reason that loss hit harder and more painful. It was a hard lesson about the margins to win or lose. Unlike the year before. It's growth and maturation. Seeing it now this playoff but still need more consistency.

EDIT: A healthy Landeskog had 22 points in 20 playoff games and +15 playing 21:00 toi average.
Thanks. I've always despised Colorado and did even in Sakic/Forsberg times. Mostly I've always hated that franchise. Can't really explain why. I hated Dallas at the time two as both of these were among the "Haves" teams of the times. When NHL hockey had most become a league where the same orgs were rotating the cup I found it pretty revolting. My viewing during the Haves era decreased. Paid less attention to the NHL for awhile.

I didn't start liking Dallas until Heiskanen, Hintz, Robertson were on board and they were consistently adding a good youth program there. By the time they were there I'd forgotten the years of dislike and was just watching a team that could skate and move puck quickly. I've always been a Deboers fan as well since NJ so just natural I'd pay more attention to that team under his reasonably good direction.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not sure I agree with that... but he's definitely not solid enough defensively (I'm talking tactically not physical skills) to support Bouchard and vice versa... they'd be a terrible pairing.
I mean, almost every metric available has Nurse as not even close to a top pairing defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad