GDT: WCSF | V | "Engage!" | Oilers @ Canucks | 5.16.24 | 8:00PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If Pickard is in, which he damn well should be, the only concern I have is their inability to protect multi goal leads in the 3rd period. They practically blew a big lead in game 1 against the Kings. The only thing that saved them from LA tying it was the high stick goal that was called back or it would have been 5-5 before Talbot allowed two more goals. LA made it interesting in game 5, but held on. Then there was the game 1 lead and also the game 4 lead they blew but were able to salvage one of those games this series.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If Pickard is in, which he damn well should be, the only concern I have is their inability to protect multi goal leads in the 3rd period. They practically blew a big lead in game 1 against the Kings. The only thing that saved them from LA tying it was the high stick goal that was called back or it would have been 5-5 before Talbot allowed two more goals. LA made it interesting in game 5, but held on. Then there was the game 1 lead and also the game 4 lead they blew but were able to salvage one of those games this series.

Blowing leads due to incompetent team play is one thing, but that's not what has been happening in this series. Some teams go on long runs of having horseshoes up their ass, and the Nucks have been on that run the whole year. Remind me of the 2022 Flames that seemed to be down two goals every game going into the third only to constantly tie it late.

Game 1 - we didn't push near enough, but we were not really getting dunked on too badly either. In relative control defensively before the individual combo of Nurse and Skinner cost us the game.

Game 4 - we played very strong hockey the whole period and two random bounce shots went in. Nothing offside about how we played that period at all, shots just went in.

I'd be the loudest critic on here if we were playing incompetent hockey when leading, but we really aren't. Sometimes teams just have the hand of god on their shoulder when down goals, and that is the Nucks.

Last edited:

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Blowing leads die to incompetent team play is one thing, but that's not what has been happening in this series. Some teams go on long runs of having horseshoes up their ass, and the Nucks have been on that run the whole year. Remind me of the 2022 Flames that seemed to be down two goals every game going into the third only to constantly tie it late.

Game 1 - we didn't push near enough, but we were not really getting dunked on too badly either. In relative control defensively before the individual combo of Nurse and Skinner cost us the game.

Game 3 - we played very strong hockey the whole period and two random bounce shots went in. Nothing offside about how we played that period at all, shots just went in.

I'd be the loudest critic on here if we were playing incompetent hockey when leading, but we really aren't. Sometimes teams just have the hand of god on their shoulder when down goals, and that is the Nucks.
Exactly PDO is saving the Canucks all damn season. The Oil have dominated 3/4 games and somehow lost two of them. This series should be over by now if not for the whole horse lodged up their ass

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Blowing leads die to incompetent team play is one thing, but that's not what has been happening in this series. Some teams go on long runs of having horseshoes up their ass, and the Nucks have been on that run the whole year. Remind me of the 2022 Flames that seemed to be down two goals every game going into the third only to constantly tie it late.

Game 3 - we played very strong hockey the whole period and two random bounce shots went in. Nothing offside about how we played that period at all, shots just went in.

For sure. 4 games into the series and the Canucks have a grand total of 7 HD scorings chances and an expected goals for total of 2.3 third period and beyond, yet somehow have 5 goals. Edmonton has been closing out games quite well in terms of limiting chances, but Vancouver has been ridiculous fortunate.

This even goes back to the first round where somehow they managed 8 goals third period and beyond on 22 HD chances (10 of which in one game trailing by 3) chances and an expected GF of 5.73.

Oilgasms

May 7, 2011
Edmonton
I was doing a little bit of a dive into Nurse and his Dman partners that he spent the most time with 5on5:

23-24: Ceci (69%) Desharnais (12%)
22-23 Ceci (69%) Bouch (8%)
21-22 Bouch (36%) Ceci (34%)
20-21 Barrie (61%) Bear (22%)
19-20 Bear (84%)
18-19 Russell (66%) Larsson (17%)
17-18 Larsson (51%) Russell (27%)
16-17 Gryba (41%) Benning (37%)
15-16: Sekera (33%) J.Schultz (20%) Clendening lol (16%)
14-15: J. Schultz (51.4%) Fayne (35.9%)

I dunno what I learned from this haha, Just wondering what pairings do you guys remember working well? Who is the ideal partner for Nurse?

I think I remember liking Nurse/Sekera and Nurse/Bear but I could be misremembering

Last edited:

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Yep after 40 it hurts to get out of bed lol

I really enjoyed Starfield to be fair. But they have taken a large dip in recent years. Still one of the best though. Too bad BioWare went to EA because they made some great games at one time too.
I found starfield to be ok but a bit of a mess tbh. They need to modernize.
Bethesda make ok open world exploration games but poor RPGs imo. One of the most overrated developers. Baldurs gate 3 was better then anything they have ever done

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Need to treat Silovs like the third string back-up everyone states he is. Hopefully we rip them up tonight.
He is a very good goalie. The Canucks have one hell of a goalie scouting/coaching program, look at the list of goalies they’ve had the last 15 years. It’s incredible.

Reactions: PuckG and Oilgasms

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Garland should be manhandled. Ya he’s tricky, gotta lean on him more.
Don't care for his constant whining on ice but thats one player that isn't pretend good. He's a small player but packs it every game, every shift, and never stops doing it. Guy elevates in playoffs too. Nucks have had a lot of pretenders fall right off in playoffs but Miller and Garland have been packing. Boeser too from a scoring POV.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
it's simple...Re-rack the Game 4 performance

impose your will on this team...Tochett called out his team (more like Skinny Pete) after Game 4 so they'll probably come out fired up and physical like game 3 but who cares...

prove you're the better team, prove you want it more
Nah. The Game 4 performance of passing off on most chances I hope was reviewed and modified. The Oilers actually played much better in games 1 and 3 of the series. but losing both games becasue of Fred Skinner. Game 4 we were trying to pass the puck into net almost all game.

We need all pucks at net tonight and guys crashing net.

We also need the bottomsix to get something. That said Connor Brown is on one of those lines and any line he's on never scores. Somehow he's still dresssing and doing nothing. I saw the mascot being more involved in game 3 and 4..

Trouble with this game is theres a few Canucks that cannot be worse than they've been and probably show up tonight. Will be hardest game thus far. I expected the Oilers to pile on a W in game 4 and they couldn't do that. Too close for comfort.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Tonight for me the the match for 'coach of the year' title.
Let's see how each adjust their respective teams and who comes out on top.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Bouchard needs to bring it again. Don't listen to the smoke blowers, he's only had the one really good game this series.
Why single out 1 dman? If anything we should be hoping Desharnais and Ceci can step up. If they get good minutes from them, I don't see us losing.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
OT, but Oblivion is most certainly not better than Skyrim. Whatever it gains in superior narrative is more than lost in the repetitive nature of the main quests and overall mechanics of the game.

Go Oilers, won't be able to watch again, but that seemed to work last time so

Reactions: Oilslick941611
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad