GDT: WCSF GM05 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Thur. May 16th | 7pm PST | SNP/CBC | So Tight, Almost Like a Playoff Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
His SOG and shot attempts are both down almost 50% in the playoffs and he's noticeably passing up a lot of shooting opportunities.

But he's also generally a great outlet passer and a strong puckhandler and he literally looks like Luca Sbisa with the puck on his stick right now - lots of fumbling, passes aren't crisp, just totally doesn't look right at all.
Halfway through the 3rd I said to my buddy "I don't think Hronek has made a single crisp breakout pass tonight, they are all grenades"

Makes sense if he's injured. He's dropped off from the first half but outlets are one of his strengths.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
IIRC Myer's kid has a health issue and the best care for him in North America is in BC. You never want to hear something like that about a persons child but I can see it keeping him here at a low AAV.

Jeez, I didn't know that at all. Hope for the best for them.

Just looked it up and his kid was born premature and struggles with some, publicly unknown, health issues. However he was born in 2017. Couldn't find anything beyond a brief update during the pandemic.

I would be fine with Myers on a 2-2.5m 1 or 2 year contract.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
EP press conference was alarming. Seems in a daze. Its like he is out of it. I hope he is mentally ok. Just seems very very mentally distant

As crazy as it seems now, I hope we sign Myers to an extension at a reasonable price

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
That Petey interview broke my heart. Poor guy needs a hug. You can tell he's just got no answers for his play, and he's beating himself up over it. Just needs to control what he can control - keep his feet moving and fight for every inch.

I do think he's better in this series than he was in round 1. At least there's been a couple of glimmers. But yeah, hard to have much hope that he's going to get his game going again this season.

deadinthewater992

May 7, 2024
EP press conference was alarming. Seems in a daze. Its like he is out of it. I hope he is mentally ok. Just seems very very mentally distant

I only watched some of it and while Pete is on the cautious/restrained side when it comes to the media (perfectly fine by me), he doesn't seem okay. I wonder what the point of this presser was - accountability? He really just owes that to the team. No need for this, really.

I just hope things don't get worse..

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
I only watched some of it and while Pete is on the cautious/restrained side when it comes to the media (perfectly fine by me), he doesn't seem okay. I wonder what the point of this presser was - accountability? He really just owes that to the team. No need for this, really.

I just hope things don't get worse..
I think a certain amount of pressers are required under league rules. I am sure someone has the specifics. That said, although he is generally a lower key guy, something does not seem right

Even if Demko is ready why would you ever take Silovs out? He has been outstanding and the reason we are where we are in the playoffs

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Why not play Lekkerimaki with Pettersson and Hoglander and hope that having the rookie will motivate the other two to show a good example and not make him look bad on the ice in his first game.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

beckstreaker07

Jul 2, 2009
Even if Demko is ready why would you ever take Silovs out? He has been outstanding and the reason we are where we are in the playoffs
As good as Silovs has been he still has a .887 SV% and 3.5 GAA this series; Demko is a top 3 goalie in the league and should give them the best chance to win when healthy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Why not play Lekkerimaki with Pettersson and Hoglander and hope that having the rookie will motivate the other two to show a good example and not make him look bad on the ice in his first game.

Because Lekkerimaki didn't even look particularly good against AHL players in regular season AHL games, much less the McDavid Oilers in NHL playoff games.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Pete never strike me as someone who's a media darling, or is fond of the media himself. I wouldn't worry too much about how he presented himself in front of the mic and camera.

Myers, well, I think he's good on bottom pair, maybe occasional 4D duty, but nothing more than that. Given his performance from the end of the season to playoffs so far, I don't mind having him back. But again, not at 4 million per year for any amount of time. That's just lunacy.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Saw a few games of Lekkerimaki in the AHL. The guy is just adjusting to North American ice and you literally worry he will get absolutely crushed while trying to skate up the ice with his head down.

We have seen enough of Bains to know he's simply not ready and has work to do in the off-season.

Maybe try Raty. He is rather slow but you see some tantalizing skill in tight quarters.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
The Canucks have taken the fewest shots on goal through 10 post-season games in Stanley Cup Playoff history, sitting at 203, a breath over 20 per game. Add these things up and it’s not hard to see they desperately need to create more offence, and it’s not hard to figure out which players need to give more.

Reactions: DiggerDan

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Telling Petey to "just stop sucking" is like telling a depressed man to "just be happy".
It doesnt work that way.

Whatever is happening to him, management better get it fixed asap.
He is literally our main piece going into the future.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Apparently put Pickard in over Skinner was a masterstroke and had nothing to do with the fact the Nucks played like shit for most of the game.

The complete disregard for the Canucks and ass licking of the Oilers is making me sick.

Just beat them please.

Otherwise I need to get off the grid till Septmeber.
It was a smart play, allowed them to reset and take a breath.

We need to bring our A game to put them out of their misery, and albeit a narrow loss we gave the game away.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I read iMac’s article about Petey and then Tocchet’s quotes. First off, I feel fortunate to have Tocchet - he seems like a great communicator and the messages are great ones.

With Petey, getting in front of the press and acknowledging his play is important. Think of the Twins or Linden - whether their games were good, bad or terrible, they were always front and Center taking accountability. I think him being there was a good sign.

His deamanour and the things he said, though? Sure, it’s a bit disconcerting to see a guy who used to brim with confidence and give the death stare look so shaken. But at this point, I think it’s better that he look at his issues head on and try to tackle them rather than expecting to be mollycoddled about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad