GDT: WCSF GM05 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Thur. May 16th | 7pm PST | SNP/CBC | So Tight, Almost Like a Playoff Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hronek is playing with wrist injury and is clearly struggling with it and looks like Luca Sbisa with the puck on his stick, and it's just as big a mistake to think that this is the 'real' Hronek as it is to think that that the PPG Hronek from the first 25-30 games is the 'real' Hronek.

Yeah, I was trying to remember the last time I saw him shoot the puck. He has a rocket when he uses it, but I don't think he's teed up once all post-season. A wrist injury would make sense.

Reactions: David71

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Hronek didn't exactly help in protecting himself nor boxing out the guy in front. Point is he's been dreadful from the start.

It sucks that he's playing injured. I wanted to see what a healthy Hronek would look like in the post season.
Hronek wasn't great on the play, but yeah, he's clearly physically limited and just shouldn't be used in these situations in his current state.

The Miller flyby on Draisaitl was inexcusable. Especially with a minute left in the game. They can't bench him, but that is really the deserved consequence for it.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Hronek did nothing wrong on that goal. He took a hit to make a play, the puck went to his defense partner and we should have been in good position ... and then lots of other things went wrong. Draisaitl also made a crazy-good play to pick a clearance out of mid-air.
Fair enough.

Admitably I have been incredibly disappointed with his performance throughout this playoffs, that I'm being quite harsh on him.

That said my original first point stands. I'd rather go after Tanev.

Hronek wasn't great on the play, but yeah, he's clearly physically limited and just shouldn't be used in these situations in his current state.

The Miller flyby on Draisaitl was inexcusable. Especially with a minute left in the game. They can't bench him, but that is really the deserved consequence for it.
Agreed.

Just rewatched. Miller was even worse on that play. That also explains his apology text to Tocchet.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
If ep and at least couple others that havent step up yet to just show up, they can win this series in 6.
Avs are shorthanded with nishuskin out and hintz banged up for dallas.

West is there for the taking . Its canucks time

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, I was trying to remember the last time I saw him shoot the puck. He has a rocket when he uses it, but I don't think he's teed up once all post-season. A wrist injury would make sense.

His SOG and shot attempts are both down almost 50% in the playoffs and he's noticeably passing up a lot of shooting opportunities.

But he's also generally a great outlet passer and a strong puckhandler and he literally looks like Luca Sbisa with the puck on his stick right now - lots of fumbling, passes aren't crisp, just totally doesn't look right at all.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Hronek 48 points; Tanev 19. Hronek made as much at 26 in ARB than Tanev has ever earned on the open market.
Tanev is on a whole another level defensively. Let's be real, we are not going to bring him back for his offensive output. Tanev would fare much better on Tocchet's system than Hronek.

Reactions: Indiana

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

One of the reporters, can't remember for sure but I think it was Paterson, saw that Hronek's wrist/hand is entirely taped up and has been for some time.

beckstreaker07

Jul 2, 2009
That said my original first point stands. I'd rather go after Tanev.
I'd like Tanev back as our second line D but I don't think he will be that cheap and I dono how eager he is to come back after how it ended.

I'm also not advocating to overpay Hronek; I just don't think we should give up on him. He's the best RD we have had in a long time; even while underperforming.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I'd like Tanev back as our second line D but I don't think he will be that cheap and I dono how eager he is to come back after how it ended.

I'm also not advocating to overpay Hronek; I just don't think we should give up on him. He's the best RD we have had in a long time; even while underperforming.
I'd be fine with what Tanev makes right now. Good thing Dim Benning is no longer here and apparently Tanev has expressed coming back this year.

I would be open into getting Hronek back but I will maintain the position that we need to lock up Zadorov first over Hronek. Zadorov really changes our d-core formation for the better.

DimitriL07

Jan 24, 2023
Vancouver BC
Lekk isn’t ready but playing in front of that crowd in your 1st NHL game, maybe he gets that super adrenaline and snipes a few. 1 game all we need to turn the course 🤔

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Tanev will be paired with Hughes regardless. He's capable of eating up big minutes even at his age.

We can also pair him up with Soucy for tougher minutes.

As for Myers, he himself brings a different skillet than Tanev. I can see him being resigned at a lower cap hit.

Ideally I want all three of Hronek, Zadorov and Tanev for next season but that isn't possible.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Assuming the Canucks want to win, they likely need to take out Ian Cole when Soucy returns and insert Hoglander for Aman and play him with EP40 and move Mik to the fourth line where scoring isn't required.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
IIRC Myer's kid has a health issue and the best care for him in North America is in BC. You never want to hear something like that about a persons child but I can see it keeping him here at a low AAV.
Exactly. Definitely shouldn't be deemed replaceable.

I wouldn't mind having him back for a bottom pairing role. He brings size and eats minutes. My stance on him has changed in the post season. He's been quite decent.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I'd be fine with what Tanev makes right now. Good thing Dim Benning is no longer here and apparently Tanev has expressed coming back this year.

I would be open into getting Hronek back but I will maintain the position that we need to lock up Zadorov first over Hronek. Zadorov really changes our d-core formation for the better.

Just getting Tanev is kind of like giving up for the next couple of years and just playing it out while we rebuild. Tanev would do just nicely for that. Otherwise the team should be looking a a genuine 1RD if we want to compete. I agree with @beckstreaker07 in that Hronek represents our best bet by far. There is a reason Hughes excelled with Hronek. Hronek is just far superior in offensive IQ. Tanev is alright at secondary assists but he's barely adequate in this department while Hronek has superior offensive instincts and exponentially elevates Quinn's game, who has said as much himself.

I also think it would be a mistake to just part ways without a proper replacement. Not Tanev, who would be a fine 2RD replacing Myers. You can't just disregard positions. That's what Benning did to RD, even with Tanev on the team, and we've been paying the price ever since.

Reactions: Nomobo

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I really thought Myers had an amazing game. He’s been a horse all playoffs even if he has made a few mistakes. He’s been extremely reliable so far.

Juulsen vs Cole - I still would go Cole, but he clearly needs to be managed for a game. I think I’m comfortable with Freidman playing 1 game for 13 mins - I doubt it happens. Juulsen at this point does not have my trust.

Forwards;

PDG comes in. Hoglander comes in. Pods comes in and Lafferty, Karlsson and Aman come out.

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Lindholm - Garland
Hoglander - Pettersson - Podkolzin
PDG - Blueger - Mikheyev

Based on what we heard. If it was up to me, I would try switching the wingers for Pettersson and Lindholm to see how that goes.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Exactly. Definitely shouldn't be deemed replaceable.

I wouldn't mind having him back for a bottom pairing role. He brings size and eats minutes. My stance on him has changed in the post season. He's been quite decent.
Agreed. I'll even go further and say he's been good. I think about how he's played all playoffs and how this team would look if he were out. He's been a big part of the success so far.

Again, I think Myers has been better than decent. I think he's been good bordering on being a key member.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Just getting Tanev is kind of like giving up for the next couple of years and just playing it out while we rebuild. Tanev would do just nicely for that. Otherwise the team should be looking a a genuine 1RD if we want to compete. I agree with @beckstreaker07 in that Hronek represents our best bet by far. There is a reason Hughes excelled with Hronek. Hronek is just far superior in offensive IQ. Tanev is alright at secondary assists but he's barely adequate in this department while Hronek has superior offensive instincts and exponentially elevates Quinn's game, who has said as much himself.

I also think it would be a mistake to just part ways without a proper replacement. Not Tanev, who would be a fine 2RD replacing Myers. You can't just disregard positions. That's what Benning did to RD, even with Tanev on the team, and we've been paying the price ever since.
Disagree.

I have been watching Tanev play through out the post season. He's definitely looking more of a top pairing D. Spoken to Stars fans who admitted at times he looks better than Heiskanen - A Hughes tier player.

Tanev is underrated offensively. He definitely has a great breakout pass.

Like I said I'm open to bringing back Hronek. It depends on his cap hit. He hasn't blown the roof during the post season as most expected from him. It sucks that injuries happen but he hasn't proven much in the post season.

It's clear they may bring back Myers for a bottom pairing role.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Agreed. I'll even go further and say he's been good. I think about how he's played all playoffs and how this team would look if he were out. He's been a big part of the success so far.

Again, I think Myers has been better than decent. I think he's been good bordering on being a key member.
Dude has been a warrior. Wrecklessly gave up his body to block a shot in the preds series in the dying minutes of a game. The preds forward had the whole net too. Stance on him started to change since then.

Reactions: MikeK

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If these are the last few games of Myers' Canuck career, he's going out in a blaze of glory. Just goes to show how badly he was mis-used and just how poor the team defense was under Green and Boudreau.

They really wasted most of Myers' prime years as a Canuck.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Dude has been a warrior. Wrecklessly gave up his body to block a shot in the preds series in the dying minutes of a game. The preds forward had the whole net too. Stance on him started to change since then.

Yep. He's had an up and down road as a Canuck, but he's really showed his true colors this playoff run. Myers has given more effort and shown more heart than I thought he was capable of. If even half the team was giving what Myers has given each night we'd be in a much better position this series.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yep. He's had an up and down road as a Canuck, but he's really showed his true colors this playoff run. Myers has given more effort and shown more heart than I thought he was capable of. If even half the team was giving what Myers has given each night we'd be in a much better position this series.

I would say in Myers' defense that even at his worst, he always showed heart. A far cry from useless slugs like Eriksson who just collected their paycheque. Myers may have made you want to rip your hair out sometimes, but the guy has always given his all.

It's nice that he's been able to put everything together into a really nice season this year, complete with a solid playoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad