Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM 4 | Oilers def. Canucks 3-2 (Garland, Joshua) | Thaaaaaaat sucked.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Loved the post game presser by Tocchet. Say what you will about his style of coaching, but the guy has been here many times before. Both as a player and as a coach. The guy knows what he's talking about and knows what it takes to win playoff hockey. He was clearly not happy and there are many players who will hear about it behind closed doors. It such a breath of fresh air and something this Organization hasn't had a lot of behind the bench.

I will be blown away if the Canucks aren't ready to go in game 5. I expect a much different team that game.
Agreed. There's lots to complain about with the Canucks right now but I think Tocchet is doing a fantastic job as the head coach right now.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Loved the post game presser by Tocchet. Say what you will about his style of coaching, but the guy has been here many times before. Both as a player and as a coach. The guy knows what he's talking about and knows what it takes to win playoff hockey. He was clearly not happy and there are many players who will hear about it behind closed doors. It such a breath of fresh air and something this Organization hasn't had a lot of behind the bench.

I will be blown away if the Canucks aren't ready to go in game 5. I expect a much different team that game.

I think Miller in particular is going to play like a man possessed. He was shouldering a lot of the blame himself post game.

Just come out like your asses are on fire and take it to them, boys.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Agreed. There's lots to complain about with the Canucks right now but I think Tocchet is doing a fantastic job as the head coach right now.

I love him, he's a great coach, and a fantastic motivator, but man oh man, he and his staff could be a little bit better at making some tactical tweaks/adjustments during a series and within games themselves.

It might not always work, but sometimes it can be a tiny difference to shake things up and get people going.

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
No matter how you slice it, the ice has been tilted in their favour this series IMO. The moments when we come alive are too few, we need to match their level of desperation and push them back on their heels more - they're beatable. That was a big win for them not only for the series stats, but in the way they won.

That said though, we're right there and I think they'e shifted the pressure to our side.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
you can maybe afford to run a player like kuzmenko out of town because you don't like his playstyle but things are gonna get ugly if tocchet can't figure out how to get the most out of pettersson. that situation ends badly no matter how it's resolved

Exactly, you shouldn't just take away your franchise C's 40 goal winger and not replace it. (Easiest solution, IMO, would have been to put your best winger duo with him in the regular season to get him going but that ship has sailed. Tocchet chose to get Lindholm going instead - which worked.)

My guess is management believes that EP can 100% adapt to Tocchet's system and pull himself out of it, but it's not going to happen just like that. It took Eichel a while before he figured it out, and he had Mark Stone on his wing.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Crickets out of DOPS, Tocchet completely took them off the hook by not raising the Kane crosscheck in his presser. It would have forced DOPS to address it.

Given Kane’s past history, a suspension was possible and deserved

Need to look at every opportunity for an advantage in the playoffs just like the oilers media did with Soucy

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Exactly, you shouldn't just take away your franchise C's 40 goal winger and not replace it. (Easiest solution, IMO, would have been to put your best winger duo with him in the regular season to get him going but that ship has sailed. Tocchet chose to get Lindholm going instead - which worked.)

My guess is management believes that EP can 100% adapt to Tocchet's system and pull himself out of it, but it's not going to happen just like that. It took Eichel a while before he figured it out, and he had Mark Stone on his wing.
I've been saying for almost the whole season that the team's biggest issue was offensive generation. They need to be able to create. And they don't. Part of the issue is that is an intentional decision from Tocc's system (in the OZ, it's just hold pucks on the outside and then fire for tips/deflections).

I think Petey can perform better within the confines of that system (and he needs to do). But he has to get some help. The Eichel example is interesting here, because Eichel still played with the Knights' best goal scorer (Marchessault) for basically the entire time he's been there. Petey is playing with a grab bag of scrubs.

FWIW, I thought Petey looked noticeably good in the third. He also seems to have positive shifts whenever he happens to get into the OZ without Mikheyev/Lafferty types.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Crickets out of DOPS, Tocchet completely took them off the hook by not raising the Kane crosscheck in his presser. It would have forced DOPS to address it.

Need to look at every opportunity for an advantage in the playoffs just like the oilers media did with Soucy
You’re gonna have to let this go. Elliotte Friedman has already said he’s been told that the NHL is tougher on post-game incidents so what warrants a 1 game suspension post-game, is probably only fine-worthy in-game. Kane’s high-stick was during live play, Soucy’s was after the final whistle, that’s a big difference in the NHL’s eyes.

If Friedman knows this, you can bet that the teams do as well. You can argue that the logic is dumb(I’m with you), but that’s just how they operate.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I've been saying for almost the whole season that the team's biggest issue was offensive generation. They need to be able to create. And they don't. Part of the issue is that is an intentional decision from Tocc's system (in the OZ, it's just hold pucks on the outside and then fire for tips/deflections).

I think Petey can perform better within the confines of that system (and he needs to do). But he has to get some help. The Eichel example is interesting here, because Eichel still played with the Knights' best goal scorer (Marchessault) for basically the entire time he's been there. Petey is playing with a grab bag of scrubs.

FWIW, I thought Petey looked noticeably good in the third. He also seems to have positive shifts whenever he happens to get into the OZ without Mikheyev/Lafferty types.

This last point is key. The few points Petey has put up this postseason, particularly this series, have *all* come when he has played with others. Just do that!

I get not wanting to break up the Miller and Lindholm lines to get Petey going, but you still have flexibility - you don't have to staple Mikheyev to him.

Reactions: supercanuck

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Guess the player?
200.webp

• Haha
Reactions: Flik

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If Tocchett wants to get rid of passengers, have to re-do the lines for Game 5. I would go with.

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Lindholm - Garland
Hoglander - Blueger - Podkolzin
Suter - Lafferty - Mikheyev

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This last point is key. The few points Petey has put up this postseason, particularly this series, have *all* come when he has played with others. Just do that!

I get not wanting to break up the Miller and Lindholm lines to get Petey going, but you still have flexibility - you don't have to staple Mikheyev to him.
Yep. Like the series clinching goal against Nashville. It is absolutely comical he he gets one shift with Suter and Boeser and they create a goal...and then it's back to Mikheyev.

Move up Blueger between Garland and Joshua. We know it works. Bump up Lindholm. Put in Podz. Give Petey some players.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I think him and Petey are both frustrated right now. Tocchet is trying to figure out how to get his star player going, but all his bottom 6 options (Garland line is #2 right now) stink. For those who want Ilya off the line, who realistically has done, well, anything better?

That's the thing with this team right now is we've always had a cap on how good we can be. So much inefficiency from the past regime leaves us without quality in the top 6. You can arrange the deck chairs anyway you want we're short a top 6 forward ... or two. There is nobody else to magically pair with Petey unless you put him with Miller, Boeser, or maybe Lindholm.

I'm praying that at the end of the season we find out that he's been hampered by some kind of injury. Because if not, that $11.8m extension has the potential be as bad as Huberdeau's in Calgary.

People really need to slow down and think here. Yes, Petey is having an an atrocious playoffs but he's still an elite player. His 100 and 90 point seasons are not just fluky and he's going to revert to 40 points moving forward. This happens in hockey all the time, only for the player to figure it out in a big way after everyone writes them off. Its been 10 tough games in a pretty tough environment.

Let's remember a couple things. This entire team is struggling offensively. Miller has two goals, one more than Petey. If we're throwing stones then he's playing like garbage offensively too. He may have more assists but he's also playing with real line-mates like Boeser. In all his 9 points to Petey's four don't look much more impressive to the eye test. I know he's playing against McDavid but still he isn't producing much in terms of 5v5 offence.

Aside from our top three (9,43,6) Zadorov has played big with 8 points, and Lindholm/Joshua also has 8. Of course they all play with good linemates. Other than that no one has more than 4 points, including Garland. Also take into account this team is on pace for one of the worst shot totals in playoff history. They have the worst GF and +/- of the remaining 8 teams. 2.6 goals per game. Their offence and strategy has been absolutely anemic ... I think that shoulders a lot of the responsibility.

He's nowhere near Huberdeau, he's only 26 years old and has all the time, an entire 8 year contract to raise his level of play and some proper linemates. This obviously isn't the norm for the player in question.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
This will be a very very hard game to win. Mcdavids line will be well rested. Oilers have more confidence in their goaltending…They also realize they can dominate us in puck possession and zone time because of dead weights on this team not giving a f***. Very hard game, and we can’t expect luck to still be on our side. Should we lose this, series will be over in six.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

DOPS would've just said 'it was penalised, f*** off.'

And then the national media would just turn it into Vancouver bitching. Not worth.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
DOPS would've just said 'it was penalised, f*** off.'

And then the national media would just turn it into Vancouver bitching. Not worth.

It would be just pure bitching. It's hilarious people are going to these lengths. It was a penalty and nothing more. Not even close. Myers stumbling into him was the main cause it hit his face anyway. This is just petty talk.

Reactions: AwesomeInTheory

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
What is killing this team on the PP zone entries is the slow paced drop back play. When that last attacker finally tries to carry the puck over the line all four players are at a total stand still. When the puck carrier makes it over the blue line there's nobody to pass to and they end up looking to throw it to someone a foot inside the line through lots of defenders.

You would hope Hughes would be the guy that can attack at full speed and make players back off a bit but he's not doing that. Pettersson is probably the only other guy that could pick apart the defense at the blueline but he's AWOL. Frustrating to watch for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad