Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM 4 | Oilers def. Canucks 3-2 (Garland, Joshua) | Thaaaaaaat sucked.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Karlsson over Mikheyev all day.
Maybe after another off-season of working on his wheels. The spirit is willing but the wheels are slow. ALso not a good stylistic fit against the Oilers or even the Preds, both teams can wheel if they need to.

Reactions: calnuck

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Respectfully, do people really think that any of those changes outside of Soucy matter?

We didn't lose this because of guys like Lafferty or Aman.

We got outplayed for 50 minutes.

Garland's line was basically the only line to do anything 5-on-5.

Were there players who contributed nothing? Absolutely. Should our playoff hopes hinge on 4th liners making an impact? Probably not.

I don’t disagree at all but the guys that are out there to give energy, speed, and forecheck are just doing absolutely nothing right now too and you have to try and optimize the margins too.

Obviously we aren’t going anywhere without the stars showing up, will not debate that, but some actual energy needed too.

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
Honestly, I'm just happy to watch playoff hockey and actually be in it. Miles ahead of the wild card spot I was expecting us to be in (and lose in).

Edmonton looks very beatable. Really killed off of a few mistakes (Juulsen, non-clearing attempt in the final minute), despite looking pretty bad for most of the game. I'm not sure why Tocchet is so allergic to changing the forward line. We did not come out to play today, so the result is all the more disappointing to have it slip away like that.

You can't have AHL/4th line quality linemates for Petey in the top 6. The guy is just struggling too hard to expect him to do that. Just not sure of the attachment to Mikheyev/Pete. Is it defensive play? If you trust them that much, and want to just want them to tread water, at least try and have them kill time against McJesus/Drai and let Miller/Boeser try and produce, given how pourous the offense has looked outside of Lindholm, Garland, and Joshua. I just don't see what Mikheyev (or anyone else they've tried on that line, for that matter) have really done so far (at least Pete is making some good passes that Mikheyev & Hoglander have flubbed, and defensive plays here & there). Rather give Lindholm a try centering Pettersson and reunite Blueger with Joshua & Garland at this point. You're not going to win with him playing so poorly offensively.

Hronek has not impressed me at all these playoffs, but that last goal is not on him. On the plus side, you would think this playoffs has definitely cemented his value into the 6-6.5M range. Hughes is not playing awful or anything, but he's looking gassed out there. Why they were still playing him so much down the stretch is really questionable.

• Love
Reactions: sting101 and Flik

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Mikheyev should be on the fourth line. He’s hustling fine enough, but he does zero offensively. Put him on a line where his job is just to get the puck out of his end.

Have to think Petey and Hronek are two of the guys Tocchet is referring to - although I again wonder what one expects when Petey is paired with the likes of Lafferty and Mikheyev. Yes, he should be able to drive play on his own, but come on.

Hronek has just been terrible.

But I don’t think anyone’s having a rougher series than Cole. It’s like he’s opened a tomb and been slapped with an ancient Egyptian curse.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Valky, some posters are just attention seekers who knows what buttons to push. Ignoring them is the best antidote.

Haha, I am a firm believer of the philosophy that EVERYONE has something useful to say, and I respect their opinions even if I don't agree with them or if I don't like the poster. As such I think I am obligated to keep an open mind and give every post a chance. Of course, I only apply this to myself, I don't and never will think anyone else should follow this because people are different. This is why my block list is blank. Even if I don't agree with the vast majority of the stuff from someone like logan5, or PoM, I still wouldn't add them to block list.

Of course this means I get to look like a moron replying to potential trolling posts some times (or maybe LOTS of times), but you know, I'll live with that myself.
:laugh:

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I think at this point it goes without saying Soucy/Myers are the ones you want out there in the final minutes of a tied game or a one goal game. Glad he’ll be back in on the next one.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Anyway - not getting too low about this. Even if we drop the next two, the series and the season are already a smashing success. We showed all the pundits that we weren’t just going out in 3 to the MIGHTY OIL.

But I still think we can take this series. With how many people were writing the Canucks off before this one, and without Demko, how many of us would have been happy to hear we’d be at 2-2 after 4 games?

Some things to polish up for sure, and some guys who need to step up - Game 5 will be real interesting.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Here's the most disturbing stat in a while:

Pettersson has 6 goals in his last 40 games, dating back to February 29th.

I just don't get the difference in his legs. He used to look above average speed wise and would find his way around guys. He looks like a young child trying to get around his dad these days. It isn't happening.

They are hiding something. I dont know enough about this stuff but after seeing mikhayev play on a f***ed leg last year, my mind just keeps thinking it ia the same issue.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Mikheyev should be on the fourth line. He’s hustling fine enough, but he does zero offensively. Put him on a line where his job is just to get the puck out of his end.

Have to think Petey and Hronek are two of the guys Tocchet is referring to - although I again wonder what one expects when Petey is paired with the likes of Lafferty and Mikheyev. Yes, he should be able to drive play on his own, but come on.

Hronek has just been terrible.

But I don’t think anyone’s having a rougher series than Cole. It’s like he’s opened a tomb and been slapped with an ancient Egyptian curse.

200w.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad