Votes: 39 18.3%
  • Jets in 6

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • Jets in 7

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
This is what makes Toronto's decision to build a D corps of Morgan Rielly plus 8 other below average dudes that can't move the puck or press efficiently so very baffling.

Some of this is on Treliving, but it started with Dubas moving out Sandin.

That's a team that could really use Girard.
To be fair, Dubas originally tried this with Barrie. But he was the wrong guy at the wrong time. Dubas gradualy shifted his philosophy to bigger and stronger.

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
The Avs are good.

Colorado was in ‘not give a f*** mode’ late in the year, combined with Swiss cheese goaltending, their record suffered.

The Jets are a good team. Colorado is top tier.

I still think Georgiev is capable of sinking them at some point in the playoffs, but we’ll see.
Maybe Georgiev was in on the 'not give a f*** mode' to finish out the season and forgot to turn it off for game 1

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This team is so damn good, but I am also wondering if too many things are going right for us at the moment? Like, we look nearly as good and perhaps even better at times compared to the team that won the Cup, but I don't think this team is as good as that and every single shot on Georgiev looks like trouble, to me, anyway.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I hope we see more of that team we saw in Game 4, even with the letdowns they had in the latter part of period 1 and a rather large chunk of period 3, that may have been the best game they played as a team all year. And it was one where Nathan MacKinnon was not really in his usual MVP form. Whatever adjustments Bednar made on the forecheck, it worked wonders. Just a phenomenal effort, in that first period before the goal against and failed challenge, I'm not sure I saw the Avs lose one puck battle.

I've seen an Avs team that sported the likes of Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Adam Foote, and PATRICK ROY choke away a 3-1 series lead on two separate occasions, so I'm not about to declare this series over, but I will say that so far, Jared Bednar has stitched a goddamn clown suit on Rick Bowness, which is quite significant because IMO that's the one coach who really knew how to disrupt everything about Bednar's offensive scheme, whether it was in Dallas or Winnipeg.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I hope we see more of that team we saw in Game 4, even with the letdowns they had in the latter part of period 1 and a rather large chunk of period 3, that may have been the best game they played as a team all year. And it was one where Nathan MacKinnon was not really in his usual MVP form. Whatever adjustments Bednar made on the forecheck, it worked wonders. Just a phenomenal effort, in that first period before the goal against and failed challenge, I'm not sure I saw the Avs lose one puck battle.

I've seen an Avs team that sported the likes of Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Adam Foote, and PATRICK ROY choke away a 3-1 series lead on two separate occasions, so I'm not about to declare this series over, but I will say that so far, Jared Bednar has stitched a goddamn clown suit on Rick Bowness, which is quite significant because IMO that's the one coach who really knew how to disrupt everything about Bednar's offensive scheme, whether it was in Dallas or Winnipeg.
Was telling some other friends basically this. They're ready to consider the series over, and it's not. I know the stat came up after yesterday's game that when a team gets a 3-1 lead in a series, they go on to win that series something like 90% of the time.

The Avs have twice been in that 10% group. We really don't want to make it a 3rd.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I've seen an Avs team that sported the likes of Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Adam Foote, and PATRICK ROY choke away a 3-1 series lead on two separate occasions, so I'm not about to declare this series over
Yea 3-1 choke jobs happen all the time. Boston did it in the first round just last year.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019

:laugh:

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
One thing I will say with certainty. Short of winning a Cup, no way, no how is Bones back behind the bench in Winnipeg next year. Abundantly clear Mark Scheifele would give him the Jake Evans treatment if given a chance. Sounds like he's not the only one not on board with the coach either.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I forget who wrote it in the regular season GDT, but the 7-0 loss had to be a huge psy ops maneuver, no? Avs knew they could flip the switch in the playoffs and wanted to hide their true strength from a complacent Jets team.

• Haha
Reactions: Pokecheque

Toewsfordayz

Oct 20, 2023
I'm pretty new to hockey but seems like any team that doesn't gun for home ice advantage would be overthinking things. Kind of why I question the whole flip the switch idea I've been seeing on the General boards and here. I mean obvious statements are obvious but yeah.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
One thing I will say with certainty. Short of winning a Cup, no way, no how is Bones back behind the bench in Winnipeg next year. Abundantly clear Mark Scheifele would give him the Jake Evans treatment if given a chance. Sounds like he's not the only one not on board with the coach either.
Bones needs to retire. I hate his coaching style. Lol

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
So are the Avs legit good again or was the Jets' season a mirage. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Jets played Vegas pretty good in the first round last year but that could be a matchup thing. Avs have stepped it up a notch no doubt but Georgie hasn't been tested a ton either so that will be TBD until the games are more even.

I think we are legitimately badass. The margins in today’s NHL are so slim it’s hard to keep the pedal on the medal for too long and I can only imagine how hard it was to play with f***ing Ryjo as the second line center. I couldn’t even watch the games myself.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bones needs to retire. I hate his coaching style. Lol
I think he's a really good assistant coach, and a merely "okay" head coach.

The real head-scratchers to me are not that he kept Cole Perfetti on an insanely short leash all season and hasn't played him at all in the postseason (I guess he's coming in next game), but the fact that he continually throws his best two-way player in Nikolaj Ehlers in the doghouse. Meanwhile, he has two very talented but defensively inept stars in Scheifele and Connor, and lets them do whatever. In fact, he plays them together a lot, which seems like a very bad idea to me. But hey it obviously didn't cost them in the regular season since they were the league's stingiest team.

Oh and last game he put in Axel Jonsson-Fjallby, a defensive forward who has 23 career points in 99 NHL games, in the lineup for game 4, then promoted him to the second line (presumably at the expense of Ehlers) but DID NOT use him on the penalty kill. Wha....? I mean, I'm not complaining but, still.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

landpoke

May 21, 2020
This team is so damn good, but I am also wondering if too many things are going right for us at the moment? Like, we look nearly as good and perhaps even better at times compared to the team that won the Cup, but I don't think this team is as good as that and every single shot on Georgiev looks like trouble, to me, anyway.
I read somewhere that due to the pesky, primitive part of our brain we're wired to focus on danger and the negative 10x more than the positive. A holdover from the days when we could be crunched by a saber toothed tiger at any moment. Free yourself from the tyranny of the amygdala, Avs are going deep, deep.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Kuemper was just as bad, especially playoffs

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I read somewhere that due to the pesky, primitive part of our brain we're wired to focus on danger and the negative 10x more than the positive. A holdover from the days when we could be crunched by a saber toothed tiger at any moment. Free yourself from the tyranny of the amygdala, Avs are going deep, deep.
I am not talking about this series, but down the road, this is probably the hardest year of the last three or so where the Western Conference is an absolute bloodbath.
Kuemper was just as bad, especially playoffs
Kuemper was one of the worst goalers I've seen play on this club easily, but this year's Georgiev is worse due to how mentally destroyed he is, he is still playing very passive compared to last year. Just because we're getting by now, does not mean the same aspect will help us against VGK, Stars, Oilers, Panthers, Hurricanes, or Rags.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
The Jets are a good bunch. Talent at all positions. Good depth. Good goaltending. Can play a shut down game with heavy hitting. Or run up the scoring with guys like Ehlers on the second line.

Letting them off the mat would be a big mistake. Hopefully next game Rants puts on cherry red stilettos and steps on my their balls and sends them to the golf course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad