Way too early 2023 redraft (picks 4-13)

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
"Spelling and writing takes a massive hit!! Come look at it everybody!! I'm a Shark fan I need friends HELP!!"

If you can't spot your own misspellings and writing errors even after an edit, then cognition is probably not your friend.

Do you see how this is exact parallel behavior to your stupid post? Tell your friend

Relax, I was trying to a) point out your mistake for discussion‘s sake and b) combine that with an innocent joke and a jab @Juxtaposer

#FunMustBeAlways

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Gabe Perreault not being on any list is laughable and makes everyone know you havent watched him at all, WJCs or his NCAA season.

NCAA league leader in PPG with 1.74 and would have likely been the league leader in points if he didnt miss 5 games with a hand injury. Guy is a monster and has been unstoppable in any big game he’s played in this season, WJC and NCAA.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I look forward to the next 3-5 years of everybody shitting on Danielson because he's not the top player on a stat sheet. :laugh:

He is the top player for the Portland Winterhawks and the reason they made the WHL playoffs. He played for a bad team(Brandon Wheat Kings) last year and early in the season where he prioritized his defensive responsibillites over his offensive stats.

What people forget on this thread is that Nate Danielson played so well in the NHL preseason that he nearly made the Detroit Redwings as a rookie and ended up being the last cut showing his overall ability in four NHL exhibitions, including a goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins that well encapsulated his overall performance.

Danielson returned to the WHL and was a point-per-game player with the struggling Brandon Wheat Kings, before getting traded to Portland for a boatload of assets. After the trade Danielson had 41 points (12 goals, 29 assists) in 28 regular season games and has 22 points (16 goals, 6 assists), in 16 playoff games for the Winterhawks.

In the conference final, Danielson dominated against the Prince George Cougars with 11 points in six games. He also drew all the tough assignment and played big minutes throughout the series. In the series clinching game Danielson played 30:13 and scored in a 2-1 overtime victory.

Last year's #1 draft pick Connor Bedard calls him the toughest player he has played against in the juniors.

Axel Sandin-Pelikka should also be in the top 10 just like Danielson considering he was just named best defenceman (2024 Börje Salming Trophy) in the SHL as a 19 y.o.

Sandin-Pellikka helped Skellefteå AIK win an SHL championship in 2024, tallying seven points (2-5-7) in 14 postseason contests. He also registered five points (3-2-5), a plus-four rating and six penalty minutes in 10 Champions Hockey League games as Skellefteå AIK reached the final of the competition.

On the international stage, Sandin-Pellikka won a silver medal with Sweden at the 2024 IIHF World Junior Championship and was selected as the tournament’s best defenseman after recording six points (2-4-6) and four penalty minutes in seven games.

In eliteprospects 2023 NHL redraft last February 2024, ASP was rated #9 and that was before he was named SHL best defenceman.

It is a bit too early but both Perreault and But are in the top 10 as well last February in this early redraft.

Last edited:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
He is the top player for the Portland Winterhawks and the reason they made the WHL playoffs. He played for a bad team(Brandon Wheat Kings) where he prioritized his defensive responsibillites over his offensive stats.

What people forget on this thread is that Nate Danielson played so well in the NHL preseason that he nearly made the Detroit Redwings as a rookie and ended up being the last cut showing his overall ability in four NHL exhibitions, including a goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins that well encapsulated his overall performance.

Danielson returned to the WHL and was a point-per-game player with the struggling Brandon Wheat Kings, before getting traded to Portland for a boatload of assets. After the trade Danielson had 41 points (12 goals, 29 assists) in 28 regular season games and has 22 points (16 goals, 6 assists), in 16 playoff games for the Winterhawks.

In the conference final, Danielson dominated against the Prince George Cougars with 11 points in six games. He also drew all the tough assignment and played big minutes throughout the series. In the series clinching game Danielson played 30:13 and scored in a 2-1 overtime victory.

Last year's #1 draft pick Connor Bedard calls him the toughest player he has played against in the juniors.

Axel Sandin-Pelikka should also be in the top 10 just like Danielson considering he was just named best defenceman (2024 Börje Salming Trophy) in the SHL as a 19 y.o.

Sandin-Pellikka helped Skellefteå AIK win an SHL championship in 2024, tallying seven points (2-5-7) in 14 postseason contests. He also registered five points (3-2-5), a plus-four rating and six penalty minutes in 10 Champions Hockey League games as Skellefteå AIK reached the final of the competition.

On the international stage, Sandin-Pellikka won a silver medal with Sweden at the 2024 IIHF World Junior Championship and was selected as the tournament’s best defenseman after recording six points (2-4-6) and four penalty minutes in seven games.

In eliteprospects 2023 NHL redraft last February 2024, ASP was rated #9 and that was before he was named SHL best defenceman.

This reads like it was written by ChatGPT...

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
This reads like it was written by ChatGPT...

Well I do take statistical info and the occasional quote from other articles both from the NHL and the Redwings to prove my point. Does that make my style better or worse than ChatGPT?

Aside from ASP and Danielson another 2023 Detroit draftee that is making waves right now is goalie Trey Augustine (drafted 41st overall) who after having a sterling season for MSU in the NCAA was named 3rd goalie for the pro laden US team in the 2024 World Championships outplaying both NHL players(Nedelkjovic and Lyon) he replaced with a 1.67 GAA and .905 save percentage(19/21) in 2 games.

Augustine became the 20th teenager since 1930 to play goal in the World Championships. Names on that list include Andrei Vasilevskiy, Mike Richter, Vladislav Tretiak, the late Pelle Lindbergh and former Red Wings standout Dominik Hasek. He is the youngest goalie ever to play in the net for the Americans at the World Championships.

“Obviously Trey is getting an opportunity here because of the circumstances (Lyon got injured in the 1st game) and he has made the most of it,” said U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame goalie John Vanbiesbrouck, who is also USA Hockey’s Assistant Executive Director of Hockey operations.

“We knew coming in that (Augustine) was extremely poised,” Vanbiesbrouck said. “That puts him at the top of his age group, and he’s probably beyond his years. We knew his capability to stick with it when the chips are down…He is one of the best I’ve seen at being able to come off the bench. He did that a lot with the (U.S.) NTDP.”

Last edited:

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Calum Ritchie was in my top-10, and of course he’d be there in this redraft. 1,6 PPG in regular season, 30 playoff points and stron pro-ready game - and all of this after injury, which ate early season and took some time after.

Reactions: emptyNedder

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Gabe Perreault not being on any list is laughable and makes everyone know you havent watched him at all, WJCs or his NCAA season.

NCAA league leader in PPG with 1.74 and would have likely been the league leader in points if he didnt miss 5 games with a hand injury. Guy is a monster and has been unstoppable in any big game he’s played in this season, WJC and NCAA.
Points are all fine and dandy, but if you go by that logic then Jagger Firkus, Jordan Dumais and David Goyette are right up there too. All these guys, including Perreault, have small frames and that is a big factor when you want to play with the NHL big boys. Laughable, I don't know about that.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Points are all fine and dandy, but if you go by that logic then Jagger Firkus, Jordan Dumais and David Goyette are right up there too. All these guys, including Perreault, have small frames and that is a big factor when you want to play with the NHL big boys. Laughable, I don't know about that.

Gabe is putting up big numbers as a 18 year old vs men, half the rosters in the NCAA are 20 and older.

The players you listed are all a year+ older than him and playing vs children in Juniors.

Not even close to the same.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Gabe is putting up big numbers as a 18 year old vs men, half the rosters in the NCAA are 20 and older.

The players you listed are all a year+ older than him and playing vs children in Juniors.

Not even close to the same.

Gabe Perreault also put up big numbers vs NCAA as part of the program team before he was drafted. Every team saw that, many of them passed on him in the draft. I think some of those clubs in the mid-first might pass on him again. I like his NHL chances better than the small junior players you were talking about, but the draft is about teams prioritizing what type of players they want to build around, and smallish one-way wingers usually go at the back of the line, even if they score a lot.

Personally I'd have him ranked higher than most, I'm just making the point that his play this year was not some revelation to scouts.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Gabe Perreault also put up big numbers vs NCAA as part of the program team before he was drafted. Every team saw that, many of them passed on him in the draft. I think some of those clubs in the mid-first might pass on him again. I like his NHL chances better than the small junior players you were talking about, but the draft is about teams prioritizing what type of players they want to build around, and smallish one-way wingers usually go at the back of the line, even if they score a lot.

Personally I'd have him ranked higher than most, I'm just making the point that his play this year was not some revelation to scouts.
Most re-drafts have him going around 10.

There will be a lot of teams kicking themselves for passing on him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Most re-drafts have him going around 10.

There will be a lot of teams kicking themselves for passing on him.

Most of us had him ranked a lot higher than #23 to begin with, so I don't know if HF is really moving him up.

Regarding NHL scouts perception of the player, he hasn't changed that much year to year so I don't see why that many teams would bump him up. They already knew what he could do vs NCAA.

I've made a similar point with Zach Benson. People could see that he was special all along. I don't think NHL scouts were shocked by what he did in the NHL last year. It's just what happens with low priority player types at the draft. I had him fifth or sixth on my draft ranking.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
It's weird to me how many people look past Benson.

Everybody gives Carlsson and Fantilli a pass as 2/3, then sandwiches in all their favourites before they get to Benson. But how much better were those guys last year than Benson?

Does anyone seriously think Perreault's 60 points in the NCAA last year is more impressive than Benson's 30 in the NHL?

The knock on Benson pre-draft was his size. Well guess what, he's as small as he will ever be and he is already in the NHL. I guess size isn't really an issue.

One-year later redrafts are always difficult because everybody improves, and people tend to get excited about their guy's improvement and look past everyone else's.

Objectively, 4 guys made the NHL last year and Benson was one of them. That, in and of itself should not be overlooked.

Look at his peers:

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The knock on Benson pre-draft was his size. Well guess what, he's as small as he will ever be and he is already in the NHL. I guess size isn't really an issue.

He's about as big as he'll ever be as well.

Size isn't just about making the NHL. It's about staying healthy and about upside.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
Size does not matter in hockey. Jarvis was as a top 5 two way forward this year and he’s 5’10. He also had 115 hits.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
He's about as big as he'll ever be as well.

Size isn't just about making the NHL. It's about staying healthy and about upside.

I forgot, big guys like Fantilli and Carlsson don't get hurt.

Tell me again how much bigger Bedard is than Benson?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
He is the top player for the Portland Winterhawks and the reason they made the WHL playoffs.

considering Portland made the Playoffs by 35 points and Danielson was only even there for half the season it sounds like he doesn't belong in this 4-13 thread then and should have been top 3

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
It's weird to me how many people look past Benson.

Everybody gives Carlsson and Fantilli a pass as 2/3, then sandwiches in all their favourites before they get to Benson. But how much better were those guys last year than Benson?

Does anyone seriously think Perreault's 60 points in the NCAA last year is more impressive than Benson's 30 in the NHL?

One-year later redrafts are always difficult because everybody improves, and people tend to get excited about their guy's improvement and look past everyone else's.

Objectively, 4 guys made the NHL last year and Benson was one of them. That, in and of itself should not be overlooked.

Look at his peers:
I get you are annoyed Benson isn't going higher, but Carlsson and Fantilli getting a pass has nothing to do with them making the NHL. Carlsson could have spent the whole year in the SHL and I still would have taken him #2.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I get you are annoyed Benson isn't going higher, but Carlsson and Fantilli getting a pass has nothing to do with them making the NHL. Carlsson could have spent the whole year in the SHL and I still would have taken him #2.

To be clear, I have no problem with those two being given a pass.
They — and Bedard — justified their draft status.

It's just strange how Benson was supposed to be physically less ready than the other guys picked ahead of him, yet is more advanced in his career than the other guys picked ahead of him, but that still isn't moving people's needles.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Especially considering that he probably averaged 10min per game.
He produced insanely well when given opportunity and minutes. He produced decently when shunted into the 3rd/4th line with barely any playing time. Wonder how many of the guys ahead of him would be able to do the same in a men's league like the KHL.

Reactions: FriarChill

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
considering Portland made the Playoffs by 35 points and Danielson was only even there for half the season it sounds like he doesn't belong in this 4-13 thread then and should have been top 3

The Winterhawks were already a good team when they added Danielson, they had scoring everywhere. That said, he did become "the man" rather quickly. They would have made the playoffs without him, but I doubt they'd have gotten as far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad