GDT: WARNING: EXPLODING DEFENSEMEN (WSH vs NYR G4, 8pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Accurate? You keeping a running list you can share? I see you constantly criticizing the goalie coach…he gets no credit for his work with Charlie I’m guessing. It’s very hard to take your stance on the goalie coaching serious even when you seem knowledgeable about the position.
You think I have been the only one that has seen Scott Murray have very little positive results with the goalies he's worked with? Many others on this board have noticed it too, for years. Lindgren is exactly like Grubauer, who was the same in regard to adjusting his game to whomever his goalies coaches were. Some goalies are very coachable and others only work well with certain goalie coaches. Holtby reach his peak being a 4th round pick, but won a Vezina, Jennings and a Cup because of Mitch Korn! Kuemper, had some Vezina type seasons but fell short because of injury and he did it with some average teams. He also won a Cup like Holtby, but was very arguably not the reason the Avs won it and his numbers for that year reflect that.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Meh. That series was never meant to be. Team was outmanned, and also got zero breaks.

Add to it some suspect reffing, and we have what we have. A sweep.

Rags are awfully cocky. Let’s see how that all works out for them.

Here’s to a good season, considering!

Yep, never changes with them. They may have swept, but it's not like it's a big accomplishment. I can see Carolina scoring some SH on them in the next series. I just laugh at the Ovy comments too. I'm guessing some of those guys are really young and haven't faced getting older yet. They have a rude awakening.

Accurate? You keeping a running list you can share? I see you constantly criticizing the goalie coach…he gets no credit for his work with Charlie I’m guessing. It’s very hard to take your stance on the goalie coaching serious even when you seem knowledgeable about the position.

The goalie coach indeed sucks. He's beyond needing replaced, but he'll probably get more freedom. He's not the reason they lost the series, but this organization seems to keep some assistants too long.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
We were supposed to absolutely suck this year, and we only kind of sucked. We were sellers at the deadline and still ended up making it. We didn’t win a game in the playoffs (kind of expected), but some of the young players got some good experience where they were actually good. As frustrating as the playoff games were, this season was pretty alright.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Was at the game. Attaboys for Lapierre, Fehervary, and AA. Boo on Jensen, Ovie,and (sadly) Oshie.

Ranger fans out in force. They paid their $ so they get to cheer their team. Caps fans (mostly) drowned them out. So good on us.

Now, go Bears!
Turns out 77 was playing with a broken hand. So i cut him some slack. A warrior for sure

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Yep, never changes with them. They may have swept, but it's not like it's a big accomplishment. I can see Carolina scoring some SH on them in the next series. I just laugh at the Ovy comments too. I'm guessing some of those guys are really young and haven't faced getting older yet. They have a rude awakening.

The goalie coach indeed sucks. He's beyond needing replaced, but he'll probably get more freedom. He's not the reason they lost the series, but this organization seems to keep some assistants too long.
Following up on that. Hershey's goalie coach, Juha Lehtola, has done more in 2 seasons being the Bears goalie coach than what Scott Murray did in his time there when Mitch Korn was the Caps full-time goalie coach.

Mark my words, Lehtola will be hired by an NHL team if he's not promoted to Caps goalie coach and Scott Murray let go. It already happened previously where Murray was the Caps goalie coach after Korn moved along with Barry Trotz, and the Redwings hired Hershey Bears goalie coach, Alex Westlund. Carbery(jury is still out on him, if the offense isn't improved next season then it wasn't such a good hire for coach) got away from the Caps organization because they hired the disappointing Laviolette. Carbery was available this past offseason because the Leafs didn't fire Sheldon Keefe(which I'm sure they might be regretting now seeing what Carbery did with the Caps in his first year). Caps felt they let Carbery get away and pounced at the opportunity to get him back!

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Per PuckPedia, the Capitals were penalized the third-most of any team ($2,252,500) due almost entirely to bonus money earned by Max Pacioretty in his one-year, $4 million deal that he signed over the offseason. Pacioretty’s cap hit for this season was $2 million, while his three performance bonuses ($1 million for 10 games played, $500k bonus for 15 games played, and $500k bonus for 20 games played) totaled the other $2 million. That bonus money will be subtracted from the Capitals’ total next season
Bmac working that GM magic!

*ducks and runs for cover*

• Haha
Reactions: Block and troyerlaw

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Too bad the $2 million in incentives weren’t for ‘Scoring 5 goals in the season’
Yeah really. I mean at the end of the day the guy was paid an extra 100K for every game he was dressed for >= 10 games. I'd take that f***ing bonus all day long just for showing up to work, which is basically all Patches did. Especially if you consider our roster is so pathetic that he played the way he did and still couldn't even lose his spot. Was he even healthy scratched ONCE when he became available after missing first 2-3 months of the season??

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I would think Oshie plays next year. But i have also heard an LTIR retirement is possible. I’ll believe it when i see it.

We need to sign LuJo and Aktell just to have LD depth. We control their rights.

I think Fever solidified he is good with Carlson. And Alexyev as 3LD. I would try and move Jensen.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I liked the effort, it was propably another game where they should have won but didn't due to lack of talent. Lots of younger guys looked good though so valuable experience for them. This might be our last Playoffs for few years but atleast they made it in this time so doubt we'll see brutal stretch like the Sabres who have missed for like 7 years in a row.

Big decisions looming. I love what Ovechkin has done to this franchise but this was the series that GMBM can point out to him that he can f*** off with his no rebuild demands when he doesn't even bother to come out and play these Playoffs. Negative impact player these series who was directly involved in 2 SHGWG's (is that a record?). They should be able to improve the offense but this should be the series that they look into and say that it's time to get younger. What this season has already showed us that getting younger doesn't necessarily mean getting worse. They moved several vets out at the deadline and as a result the team didn't get worse, they got picks and actually got better. That run after the deadline sparked by the subtractions was why they made the Playoffs.

For all the crap vets took, mainly for Ovechkin's lack of effort, Carlson deserves a lot of praise. Not the easiest series for him either but the guy was a f***ing wagon. He averages 29+ minutes this entire series which is miles ahead of anyone else in the entire league and yet when the game is on the line he's out there hustling his balls off late despite already clocking in 26+ minutes (finishes at 28:03). He's taken a lot of heat in the past for lack of effort in the Playoffs but he was a wagon here.

Last edited:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
They gave up only 1 goal 5 on 5 in G2, in G3 and G4 against the presidents trophy winner.
They were already in PO mode for the past 6-8 weeks.
Let's sh*t on the guy who scored almost GPG during the last 3 months

Let's be real. They had zero chance to beat this team. We can thank them already for not losing 6-2 / 6-1 ...

Rebuild ... ask Detroit, Buffalo, San Jose how it's great and wonderful to rebuild.

Reactions: Neil Racki

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
They gave up only 1 goal 5 on 5 in G2, in G3 and G4 against the presidents trophy winner.
They were already in PO mode for the past 6-8 weeks.
Let's sh*t on the guy who scored almost GPG during the last 3 months

Let's be real. They had zero chance to beat this team. We can thank them already for not losing 6-2 / 6-1 ...

Rebuild ... ask Detroit, Buffalo, San Jose how it's great and wonderful to rebuild.

Nobody is above criticism.

Why those teams? How about Rangers?

Reactions: Corby78

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Bmac working that GM magic!

*ducks and runs for cover*
Caps had extremely limited cap space last offseason and have 13+M to play with next year (was 15m until you account for the bonus overage). It was effectively a 1x4mil deal spread over two seasons.

Wrong player but not the wrong strategy.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Right. I keep saying it, but I was always sure and still am that BMac expected to trade Patches at the deadline. But Max opted to stay with the Caps rather than take what was surely his last shot at a Cup. What a loser!
Agreed it was mentioned at the time of the signing. I don’t understand why he didn’t want to go play for a contender for a couple months. Maybe he wanted to collect his 4 mil and go golfing. Kinda played like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad