Prospect Info: Vsevolod Komarov, RD Drummondville (QMJHL) - 134th overall in 2022 (Signed)

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
In Rob Ray vernacular, it's probably "Volvo Rod".
1715742374934.png

Reactions: MeenOlViks

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Who does his game remind you of past or present ?

From a game impact within his limitations comparison, I am reminded of Brady McNabb. No, not McNabb’s sometimes ferocious physical side, VK is more just strong around the net and uses his mass to his advantage. But very much how a guy who may be a bit limited in his mobility can impact the ice at both ends, how he is now very good at the offensive blueline in a variety of ways as a junior player, how he can pass the puck in transition and how he defends with his size.

TSN was bringing up Dobson but Noah’s game is also about how well he skates. Komarov is not that, but he isn’t as slow as McNabb to my eye at the same tier.

He could be an eventual mid-pairing guy. Plenty of junior d-men have excellent junior scoring totals and they are defensive defensemen at the next level. I would lean toward that being his path but he has grown a lot and continues to impress so who knows?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Tonight's points. He also took a roughing minor mid-way through the third that resulted in Saginaw's winning goal.

Would like to add he had a pinch at center ice that led to the transition and 1st goal for Drummondville that he didn’t get a point for.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Great article!

Kevin Devine was the one who initially scouted him.

Adams also called Patrick Roy to ask about him.

Fortin said they moved past him on their draft list once because they thought that they could get him later in the draft.

Viljami Marjala (5th round, 2021) helped him learn English while with Quebec.

Fortin:
"He's just one step ahead of everyone at the level he's at right now,” said Forton. “I think it's only going to get better when he gets to another level where players can play and think it at his level."

"And the puck skills at almost 6-foot-4 are pretty elite.”

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Did you see Samuelsson when he got to Rochester?

He learned to skate while battling injuries in both the AHL and NHL.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Expected to make the jump to the AHL in the Fall. I often wonder about these prospects that need to work on skating in particular and if that can be done at the pro level.
It can be done with good coaching and a lot of work by the player. The universal knock on Tyson Foerster was his skating stride and how it wouldn’t work when he got to the NHL, and he’s doing more than fine so far.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Lysowski:

"The Sabres thought Komarov could be drafted in rounds three, four or five, but he may fall because of his choppy skating stride."

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Komarov's skating is chonky. But he gets where he needs to be. Working on leg strength will help, but there is technical work to be done too. And he'll pull moves out on people where he will get around smaller "better skating" players that are just impressive for a guy who is flirting with 6'4" and built like a cement block.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Komarov's skating is chonky. But he gets where he needs to be. Working on leg strength will help, but there is technical work to be done too. And he'll pull moves out on people where he will get around smaller "better skating" players that are just impressive for a guy who is flirting with 6'4" and built like a cement block.
What is Dawn up to these days

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Skating technique and strength is one of the things I worry less about if the other parts are there. You would hope an NHL (or AHL) staff would be able to work to correct things. Especially if they're already thinking the game at a high enough level to compensate. Should hopefully come down mostly to how much the player wants to improve.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

I think we'll see where his skating stacks up against AHL competition. Way tougher game. People see him in the NHL next year -- not many but some -- and that seems hard to believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad