Player Discussion: Victor Hedman - Part 2: Norris God and Norse God

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Yeah I'm curious what will happen. Might be a reputation win.
Didn't Doughty and Keith both get reputation wins?

It was Hedman's to lose...until he lost it when he got hurt and played like a shell of himself for the last month and a half.

It should be interesting

OdinsFury

Oct 2, 2020
Prior to last 6 weeks of season, Hedman was flirting with being a unanimous winner of the award but the injury tanked his +/- and not sure if he even scored 5 points in his last 12 games or so! That said, with no real clear cut alternative this year, Hedman should get the reputation win. A second Norris cements his HOF career (keeping in mind that players who play down south face a public relations adversity when it comes to appropriate coverage)! Although, not being on national TV a lot late in year may actually help Hedman this time because national media didnt see how bad he really was!

DMXATF23

Mar 9, 2004
St. Petersburg, FL
Prior to last 6 weeks of season, Hedman was flirting with being a unanimous winner of the award but the injury tanked his +/- and not sure if he even scored 5 points in his last 12 games or so! That said, with no real clear cut alternative this year, Hedman should get the reputation win. A second Norris cements his HOF career (keeping in mind that players who play down south face a public relations adversity when it comes to appropriate coverage)! Although, not being on national TV a lot late in year may actually help Hedman this time because national media didnt see how bad he really was!
Dude has a Norris and a Smythe, he’s already in the Hall.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay Lightning
Hedman placed among the leading defensemen in points (3rd; 45), assists (t-5th; 36) and goals (t-7th; 9) through 54 appearances (0.83 P/GP), matching the second-best points-per-game rate of his 12-season NHL career (behind only 2016-17: 0.91 P/GP). Hedman, who also ranked second among all skaters (forwards and defensemen) in power-play assists (23) and sixth in power-play points (24), finished seventh in the entire NHL in average time on ice (25:03) – the second-highest rate of his career after 2017-18 (25:51). The 30-year-old Ornskoldsvik, Sweden, native – who won the Norris Trophy in 2017-18 and placed third in voting in 2016-17, 2018-19 and 2019-20 – is a finalist for the fifth consecutive season, a streak last achieved by fellow countryman Nicklas Lidstrom from 1997-98 through 2002-03 (6 straight seasons).

Reactions: Five Alarm Fire

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
It was Hedman's to lose until he got hurt, didn't look good for the last month and a half. Makar missed too many games in a shortened season as well, I could see Fox winning it. People will say "they didn't make playoffs" but that shit don't matter with these awards.

Hedman could win off his reputation as well. Kind of a funny year. I hope he gets it still.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It was Hedman's to lose until he got hurt, didn't look good for the last month and a half. Makar missed too many games in a shortened season as well, I could see Fox winning it. People will say "they didn't make playoffs" but that shit don't matter with these awards.

Hedman could win off his reputation as well. Kind of a funny year. I hope he gets it still.

Yes, it absolutely does. The Hart and Norris have never been awarded to any one on non-playoff teams, it's definitely a factor to some voters.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Yes, it absolutely does. The Hart and Norris have never been awarded to any one on non-playoff teams, it's definitely a factor to some voters.
Ah, okay. I was thinking of Karlsson, but he must have won it the year Ottawa went to the ECF?

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
You have 12 active player discussion threads on the first page, none of them are Hedman, who is the best defenceman on the planet.

I find that weird.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah he's been nowhere near as dominant as he was last year. But at least he's putting in minutes? He almost had a goal last night though. Hopefully he finds the scoreboard a couple more times on the way to the cup.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah he's been nowhere near as dominant as he was last year. But at least he's putting in minutes? He almost had a goal last night though. Hopefully he finds the scoreboard a couple more times on the way to the cup.

The last two series he's been much better than what we saw towards the end of the regular season and the Panthers series. That's all I can really ask for at this point, thank god we have McDonagh as well.

Reactions: Hoek

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Credit to Victor for gutting it out. Our best option on the PP and still playing like a top pairing Dman who doesn’t have the benefit of a true top 4 partner.

He’s not the Norris god right now, but the Lightning need him and he’s delivering

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
He's clearly not 100% but he's actually been getting better as the playoffs have rolled along. He seems to be settling in to his game much better now.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Looks like the thread title will need an update. Hedman denied (again).

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
2nd Team All Star for Heddy.
Victor Hedman, voted to his fifth career postseason All-Star Team (1 First Team, 4 Second Team). The only active NHL blueliner with more is Zdeno Chara (seven: 3 First Team, 4 Second Team).

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
It was his to lose tbh, then he got injured and lost it. A damn shame. I was hoping he'd get the reputation title this year, but sadly not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad