Value of: Value 5th overall pick??

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Fellows Habs fans tell me we would get about early 2nd to slide down 3 or 4 slots. Not really worth it. Unless Habs plan on going off the board.

Hughes does odd things though. Passed on Leonard and Michkov last year for another D. Took Slaf when everybody though Wright was a lock.
Took Slaf over Wright was a genius move.

Reactions: jsol and HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Montreal wants young talent up front. That's it.
You can say it a million times and right after, there is a post about trading 5th or Guhle for a goaltender, or some 2nd rate bottom 6.

Most hilarious was the guy who thinks he can get Guhle for Kakko. Or Guhle and Rein for Laffy.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
You can say it a million times and right after, there is a post about trading 5th or Guhle for a goaltender, or some 2nd rate bottom 6.

Most hilarious was the guy who thinks he can get Guhle for Kakko. Or Guhle and Rein for Laffy.
We all know who you're talking about. The guy is out of touch all the time!!!! It's funny and sad at the same time

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wonder what Montreal pick be worth if Levshunov still available? Good chance it could happen. Many teams had him #2. Be lining up to get franchise right shot defenseman

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Wonder what Montreal pick be worth if Levshunov still available? Good chance it could happen. Many teams had him #2. Be lining up to get franchise right shot defenseman
Mostly depends on how far Montreal's willing fall in the draft

Utah beats to its own drum
Ottawa needs an RD
Seattle needs a lot of things
Calgary needs an RD

So there are two teams in the top 10 I think would be willing to offer something, Both have another 1st round pick.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Mostly depends on how far Montreal's willing fall in the draft

Utah beats to its own drum
Ottawa needs an RD
Seattle needs a lot of things
Calgary needs an RD

So there are two teams in the top 10 I think would be willing to offer something, Both have another 1st round pick.
They have but that extra pick isn't worth much. Even around 10-12 one of Sennecke or Helenius should still be available

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Silayev being highly thought of by NHL scouts according to multiple reports (Mackenzie being in the mix), Habs have fair chances of grabbing Lindstrom at 5.

I wouldn't trade that pick if I was them.

Reactions: Scintillating10

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Or trade back to team like Ottawa. Pick up good asset. Still get Sennecke

I watched a lot of shift by shift videos of next draft prospects.

I did watch Sennecke and wasn't that impressed by him.

But since he receives a lot of praises lately, I went back to watch him again, just to do my homeworks, to make sure...

Still not that impressed, well not for a potential 5th overall.

Yes he has good size, very good hands and shot, good passer but for me, the earlier he could be picked is 12th, and with the players certainly still available at that rank, it would still be a reach...

His play away from the puck is very inconsistent, his intensity and physical engagement in 50/50 battles too, and his anticipation isn't elite.
His skating is good, but not great. Particularly in possession of the puck, in transition.

He has an intriguing roof but his floor is low. His overall play is immature and needs a lot of work to be considered pro. He's a project.

I'm a little worried by what Habs are gonna do in this draft.

Drafting 5th overall is costly. Costly in defeats...

It's a privilege you don't take lightly. If not, a rebuild can take longer... a lot longer.

This draft is top heavy with multiple elite defensemen, particularly around Habs 5th overall pick.

Apart from Demidov and Lindstrom, at 5th overall the BPA will be a defenseman, by a good margin.

So I'm afraid that Habs stick to their plan of drafting according to their needs, instead of BPA.

Guhle, Habs best young left defenseman, isn't at the same level of player as the Buium, Silayev and Dickinson.

So worst case scenario, you draft a BPA defenseman at 5 and then you adapt...

Last edited:

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
I watched a lot of shift by shift videos of next draft prospects.

I did watch Sennecke and wasn't that impressed by him.

But since he receives a lot of praises lately, I went back to watch him again, just to do my homeworks, to make sure...

Still not that impressed, well not for a potential 5th overall.

Yes he has good size, very good hands and shot, good passer but for me, the earlier he could be picked is 12th, and with the players certainly still available at that rank, it would still be a reach...

His play away from the puck is very inconsistent, his intensity and physical engagement in 50/50 battles too, and his anticipation isn't elite.
His skating is good, but not great. Particularly in possession of the puck, in transition.

He has an intriguing roof but his floor is low. His overall play is immature and needs a lot of work to be considered pro. He's a project.

I'm a little worried by what Habs are gonna do in this draft.

Drafting 5th overall is costly. Costly in defeats...

It's a privilege you don't take lightly. If not, a rebuild can take longer... a lot longer.

This draft is top heavy with multiple elite defensemen, particularly around Habs 5th overall pick.

Apart from Demidov and Lindstrom, at 5th overall the BPA will be a defenseman, by a good margin.

So I'm afraid that Habs stick to their plan of drafting according to their needs, instead of BPA.

Guhle, Habs best young left defenseman, isn't at the same level of player as the Buium, Silayev and Dickinson.

So worst case scenario, you draft a BPA defenseman at 5 and then you adapt...
That's why moving back to let's say #9 makes sense if Demidov or Lindstrom are gone to draft a Forwards.

One of Helenius, Catton, Iginla should be there at #9

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
That's why moving back to let's say #9 makes sense if Demidov or Lindstrom are gone to draft a Forwards.

One of Helenius, Catton, Iginla should be there at #9
Not the same level of players, IMHO...

Personally, what I would do, is to draft the best defenseman according to them (Buium for me) and then trade a guy like Guhle, who's gonna fetch a good young top 6 forward.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Not the same level of players, IMHO...

Personally, what I would do, is to draft the best defenseman according to them (Buium for me) and then trade a guy like Guhle, who's gonna fetch a good young top 6 forward.
Sure. Let's do another Sergachev/Drouin kind of deal. That couldn't possibly go wrong right?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $950.00